Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dkkustoms
    • Jul 2012

Need some help with brakes

I rebuilt the caliper and master cylinder on my 1997 Suzuki Marauder and can't get pressure to build . I am bleeding them correctly but can't get a firm lever . Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
  • TravelingBone
    • Aug 2016

I'd double-check the lines to make sure there's no place air is getting back into the system.

After that, I'd try this:

Bleed (re-bleed) the brakes, then apply pressure to the brake lever and bungee it. Leave it overnight. In the morning when you release the handle, any remaining air should surface.

I've never tried this, it's just something I heard once and filed away. I think the theory is that you have a lot of very small air bubbles that are acting collectively like a single large bubble whenever you apply the brakes and this process allows them to form-up and get expelled from the system.

If you decide to try it, let me know if it works.

Comment

• TravelingBone
      • Aug 2016

Cut/Paste this into Google "motorcycle brake lever bungee overnight" looks like there are a few threads in other forums about this method

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Air rises to the highest point in the system.

Put a towel under the master cylinder end of the brake line and bleed as normal using the banjo bolt.

Comment

• dkkustoms
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by TravelingBone
          I'd double-check the lines to make sure there's no place air is getting back into the system.

After that, I'd try this:

Bleed (re-bleed) the brakes, then apply pressure to the brake lever and bungee it. Leave it overnight. In the morning when you release the handle, any remaining air should surface.

I've never tried this, it's just something I heard once and filed away. I think the theory is that you have a lot of very small air bubbles that are acting collectively like a single large bubble whenever you apply the brakes and this process allows them to form-up and get expelled from the system.

If you decide to try it, let me know if it works.
          I actually​ did try that after I posted last night.And nothing changed. I don't think it's getting air in the system through the lines . Thanks for the suggestions . I'll continue to try to figure this out. Would like to ride today.

Comment

• DustyDave
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

When you bleed it do you get any bubbles? Are you getting a reasonable amount of fluid? Shouldn't be any air after all that bleeding if there is I'd be looking for a seal installed backwards or toren. If no air and lots of fluid I would be checking for a bent or hanging pad. Anything that causes the caliper piston to move more than a few thousandths will make it feel spongy. I've seen pads that were hanging instead of sliding that wore cupped in the middle about .030 and were spongy as shit.
            Dusty
            Driving that train, high on cocaine
            Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
            Trouble ahead, trouble behind
            And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• dkkustoms
              • Jul 2012

Finally got the brakes bled. Ended up bleeding from the bottom up using a meat marinading syringe and piece of tubing. Had firm lever in no time. Just pushed fluid up until bubbles stopped then bled the standard way. Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;