Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peetacheeta
    • Jun 2012

Quick Wiring Help! with diagram

Hey, just wired a bike and as soon as turn the ignition key the fuse blows. So i am assuming i have a bad ground somewhere??
    I have wired a bike with the same diagram and it works fine but was with tympanium unit. in this one i am using a podtronics reg.rec
    I used a generic lowbrow ignition switch
    let me know if you see anything that is wrong and could help my problem
    Click image for larger version

Name:	WIRINGDIAGRAMpod.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1341562
  • Rebeltx
    • Dec 2013

try changing to positive ground?

Comment

• Sky
      • Aug 2009

Figure it out yet?
      Bad grounds dont blow fuses, dead shorts do.
      Try hooking up one component at a time...
      I'd add a headlight switch and swap the fuse for a breaker btw

Comment

• DustyDave
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

How many amps is the fuse?
        Dusty
        Driving that train, high on cocaine
        Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
        Trouble ahead, trouble behind
        And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by peetacheeta
          Hey, just wired a bike and as soon as turn the ignition key the fuse blows. So i am assuming i have a bad ground somewhere??
          I have wired a bike with the same diagram and it works fine but was with tympanium unit. in this one i am using a podtronics reg.rec
          I used a generic lowbrow ignition switch
          let me know if you see anything that is wrong and could help my problem
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]76882[/ATTACH]
          How did you make out with your wiring problem - is there still a problem? When you switched to the Podtronics, did you change anything else - the ignition switch? Was the Tympanium also a negative ground? Was there a reason for changing the unit? Any crossed leads on the new ignition switch?
          Like Sky said, "Add a headlight switch". You could also add another fuse (with the proper rating - Dusty), for the lighting system, so if there is a short there, you can still keep runnin' to get you where you're goin'.
          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
            • Apr 2012

based on that wiring diagram which I do not like,,, (Never mix colors when Illustrating a diagram),, but it would appear to me that you problem is the wire coming off the Ign switch to the COIL,,, never work that way. You dont power the coil with a boyer set up.
            You power the Ign brain box. So, where does the white wire off the Boyer go??? You SHOULD run it thru a small kill switch that is a momentary off (NOT A GROUNDING SWITCH< You will KILL your brain box if you ground out the brain box thru a kill switch)
            So the power from the ignition switch goes to the brain box thru the white wire

Here is a Positive ground diagram, but just reverse the battery polarity, Dont worry about whether Pos or Neg ground is better, (Of course you have to wire consistently thru the whole bike) Personally I prefer negative ground because most people forget and short something out so easier to just run them negative ground.

I dont like parts of this diagram because of the lighting stuff,, But just ignore that part. What I am using it for is illustrating the coil wires, and power to the Boyer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring-diagram-for-triumph-bsa-with-boyer-ignition-motorcycle.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	1299823

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;