CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Non O-ring chains, what do you use?

Hey guys,
    I cheaped out and bought a shitty ebay chain for my build and only about a month later its stretched to it's limit.
    I don't have the clearance to run an o-ring chain, what are some strong 530x120 non o-ring chains that you've ran?
    I have a 1200 that is making decent power.

Get Adobe Flash player

I am sure others will have an opinion,, But IMHO I use a LOT of this brand. Called Western Power Sports or WPS and they have a 530 std, 530HD and 530 O ring. Its very affordable, seems to hold up well and I run it on both British as well as American bikes. I used some of the 530HD on my daily rider Sportster and it does stretch a bit but very manageable if you follow proper maintenance. (Adjustment, cleaning and lube) I use it virtually on 99% of my British bikes and have for 20 years.

See: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...torcycle-chain Theres a crap ton of places selling it so not hard to find. As I said its VERY affordable as well. There used to be a guy on here (I called him Wingnut) that while some people found amusing I pissed him off because he would list chopper 530/120 link chain of this same brand in the classifieds for nearly double or triple the actual retail price. I would think even a Noobie Millennial would be smart enough to comparison shop but after a while I got tired of it and kept posting links to retailers selling it at a fraction of the price. He was (Cough cough) Not amused. I dont begrudge anyone making a buck, (We all gotta eat) but taking advantage is a bit much.

When I had a shop I kept a lot of this in stock and got it from a local Motorsports warehouse. I also strongly believe I know the guys making it. I dont see them around much anymore but been meaning to ask, they have a facility in Woodland Washington and in BC Canada. The guy I know Tommy retired and turned it over to his son, but they race vintage British bikes, Italian and Asian bikes and really good people. If its their product they deserve our support in my opinion.

I am not sure what your issues are with O ring chain regarding clearance,, Have you looked at X ring? Might be worth a shot. It has the advantages of O ring but better clearance issues. Many guys in the vintage scene have clearance issues and what most do is machine down their sprockets or source narrowed sprockets and run 520 O ring instead. I know guys running 70-90 hp race bikes and zero issues running this setup including the worlds fastest Norton 500cc race bike on the salt. (2 world records in different classes).

So, just my opinion,, but for cost, quality, and availability its what I recommend but YRMV.

Get Adobe Flash player

I meant to add,,, Chain maintenance is something most people overlook or are lazy about. (Myself included) Its a PIA which is why I love belt drives both
    primary and secondary. My daily rider Sporty is a early EVO and I run the 530HD, but my other Sporties and Buells all run belts. I LOVE Belt drive!

It sucks to do,, but what I was taught was to run 2 chains per bikes. You take the 2nd chain, clean in solvent, Hang dry and then a small pan on top of a camp stove
    (Wife would kill me in the house) I heat up a pan of a blend of gear oil and grease and put that chain in that pan,, allow to cool IN the pan, then hang dry again. Swap out on a regular basis. If you start out with good sprockets they will last almost forever. Never run a worn out sprocket.

I have several brands of chain lube,, on my daily rider I lube about once a week. I ran out and need to source more but I also used to work as a Millwright in a aerospace manufacturer and we had the BEST shit for lube and I bought several cases from the vendor. Its a black Moly dry film lubricant. I like it better than the Brand X motorcycle chain lubes. Anything wet and sticky absorbs dirt, grit and abrasives which in turn is a bad bad bad thing. So Dry film lubes is the way to go.

Im old, but I need to research some of the modern chains more, but I bought some different types of O ring and X ring chains and will be doing testing to see how it goes, but I think based on initial research many of the X ring chain is really good. I hear very good things about this IWIS X ring sold by a guy who goes by
    "Andy Chain" and many people say its the best chain on the market.

Many also say the DID 530VX will clear. No need to machine the brake hub or change the sprocket, with the pin width of .917".
    Whereas HD530, the suggested OEM chain, is .927".
    I have not used it yet (Still on the shelf) but I hear very positive results and feedback. The stories I am hearing of the DID 530VX and the IWIS is typically 40,000 to 50,000 miles with proper maintenance.

Remember that the advice you receive on a free internet forum is usually worth about half of what you paid for it.

Get Adobe Flash player

only about a month later its stretched to it's limit.
    how many miles in a month?!

i'm betting you are not adjusting/maintaining correctly. Should be able to get 5k out the CHEAPEST chain without a problem.

Get Adobe Flash player

Not many, maybe 300 - 400. It was properly adjusted and oiled. I guess it was just a really crappy chain. After the initial stretch it slowed down a bit but basically needed adjustment every 2 rides. My oil fittings require me to keep it in spec or it will slap.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170324_175517-1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	299.1 KB 
ID:	76881

This is the bike to give you an idea

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks for the reply! I'll look into that did chain and see if it will work. I've been keeping up on maintenance and don't mind it but this chain was really bad and I don't want to skimp out this time.

Get Adobe Flash player

Not many, maybe 300 - 400. It was properly adjusted and oiled. I guess it was just a really crappy chain. After the initial stretch it slowed down a bit but basically needed adjustment every 2 rides. My oil fittings require me to keep it in spec or it will slap
    my guess is that you are adjusting waaaaay too tight. And the fact you mention needing to keep it tight to prevent the chain eating oil lines confirms my guess.

i'd be looking into oil line routing first, and then a new chain.... or you're gonna be in the same boat again in a couple weeks.

maybe look into some sort of tensioner or rub pad to keep it away from the oil lines?

Share This