2000 sportster aftermarket signal issues!!! FML!!!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikeySTL
    • May 2017

2000 sportster aftermarket signal issues!!! FML!!!

Hey all. quick question...s..... I have a 2000 sportster I am taking the fender down a couple sizes and while I am at it I decided to do side mount taillight/ plate holder and the small side signals. got it wired up. if you check a diagram it says the blue (running lights) and the red/yellow (brake lights) and a ground go to the tail light. I have that mocked up and the only break light that works is the hand break. (possible front hand break delete for looks incoming). no response from the foot break... whats up with this? I'm a novice this is my first bike! I would like to add. I do not have any turn signals wired up at the moment as they are in the mail.
  • metalheart28
    • Feb 2014

Check your connection at the rear brake switch

Comment

• mikeySTL
      • May 2017

Break switch checks out. I can actually upon further fiddling get SOME brief light from the taillight when I step on the rear break. Brief flashes. Now I did attempt to replace the rear wheel and take the caliper off the back and took the wrong bolt out of the caliper and dropped a bunch of break fluid. Got sketched and put it right back on. Is it possible this is effecting me?

Comment

• bluesrock
        • Oct 2011

Fill and bleed the rear brake then check your light function again.

Comment

• jonnyoz
          • Oct 2014

Did you get this figured?

If you're getting brief flashes it means there's a bad connection somewhere. Go through ALL the wiring for the light, make sure all of the connections and clean and tight. It's surprising how much a connection that is snug, not TIGHT can fuck with you.

Other than wiring connections, you only have 2 other things that can go wrong - switch and the light itself. Try to just temporarily direct wire the brake and running light to make sure they actually light up when they have constant power. Then once you're absolutely sure everything is good, check the switch again. If the lights can light up when they're temporarily powered up but you get flickering when you add in the switch, replace the switch. Thankfully, they're cheap. Also it's not impossible to have a bad connection in the light itself. Manufacturer defects do happen.

Also, check this out https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...asher/193/841/
          (not sure if this is the exact one I got, but it's close)
          I bought LED signals for mine cause I was worried incandescent bulbs would break, being rigid mounted to a hardtail. This module is great - its WAY smaller than the stock turn signal module and it's set up for LED's so you don't need to add resistors.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;