CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Identify S&S cam for pan shovel

I'd appreciate if someone had some information on this old S&S cam stamped 2340. The heads had spacers under the lower spring collars on the valve guides too if that is of any useful info
    Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8288.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	52866

Get Adobe Flash player

Look at the other end
    That's just the gear, which can be pressed on and off and swapped at will. To match pinion gear lash and/or tweak valve timing.
    S&S has a great tech line, call them

Get Adobe Flash player

Those numbers on the gear is all there is, nothing on the other end. Yeah I did email them, waiting for them to reply.

Get Adobe Flash player

You can always measure the lobes subtract the base circles multiply by rocker ratio to get the lift numbers. Break out a degree wheel or at least a protractor to measure the timing itself.
    That gets a litle tricky as to where on the lobe "advertised" lift starts.
    If it's not a re-grind, the lift will probably help you find the cam on S&S's charts

Get Adobe Flash player

Done some measuring and it has a .440 lift with 74" rockers, 0,460 with 80" rockers. Closest in the S&S chart is the 450S cam. So no high lift cam. Lobes looks pretty torquey. I guess I just need to run the motor to see how it behaves. It's funny PO said it was a bone stock 74" setup. It has big bore jugs, stroker flywheels and the heads are flowed so I need to inspect the heads a bit closer to see whats what. But why the use of spacers under the bottom spring collars, any idea?

Get Adobe Flash player

Strokers usually like a bit of overlap, helps with kicking too. Big valves and ported heads don't need a lot of lift to flow well. Probably a good cam for you.

Shims are to set the spring height. Not something many builders do anymore. Keeps seat pressures even. Coil bind is not really a factor with lower lifts.
    More critical is valve stem height to keep valve train geometry in check. And valve seal to collar clearance for a given lift so's you don't smash those seals.
    And of course valve to piston clearance.

Did anyone actually get an official answer on this cam, I tore my panhead down and found the same model number cam in my bike 2340

Share This