CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 5.00x16 tires on 4.25"x 16 wheels

I have a set of wheels I got cheap they are 4.25 wide by 16" the tires I have before I got the rims are 5.00x16, has anyone put tires this size on rims/wheels this wide? what problems might I have or will they even seat on these rims? the manufacturer of the tires will not recomend a rim wider than 3.5" wide for these tires they would not say they would not fit just they won't say anything about a wheel bigger than 3.5".
    anyone run into this and did they get by with them or am I going to need tires or rims to fit each other???

Get Adobe Flash player

Pics and aplication please
    You might get away with it with a tube...

Get Adobe Flash player

Just to be sure, are you measuring the rims at the bead seat and not the overall width? If so, I would not use those tires on those rims. Manufacturers have a recommended rim size for a given tire, and usually a couple of permitted sizes on either side of that. Using a tire that's too wide or too narrow for the rim greatly reduces the amount of rubber in contact with the rim. In some situations, the tire can come off the bead seat. In others it can slip or creep on the rim. When it slips or creeps, it can tear the valve stem away from the tube, causing sudden deflation. This never happens at a convenient time and place, and could be catastrophic if it happens at 70 on the freeway.

Get Adobe Flash player

that was overall width of the rims, I'm surprised that the tire manufacturer would not ask me the same?

Get Adobe Flash player

According to the Tire and Rim Association (manufacturers of tires and rims getting together making sure their products fit each other) rim width is measured at the bead seat. There's also a letter or letters designating the rim profile, and on most rims manufactured after 1981 the size is stamped or embossed somewhere on the rim where it can be read with the tire mounted. Yours are likely to be 3.00 D, and your 5.00-16 tires will fit just fine. Another way, with genuine Harley rims to tell the year, pre '81 rims will have a 5/8" hole for a tapered rubber valve stem, while the later ones will have a 3/8 hole for a straight metal valve stem.

Share This