83 shovel "wierd oil pump" sumping.. help!!!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quint
    • Nov 2013

83 shovel "wierd oil pump" sumping.. help!!!

I have a pretty bad wet sumping issue with my shovelhead project.. I have had multiple people tell me and read multiple articles saying that I need to replace my check ball.. so of course I try to do so today.. come to find out that I have a strange oil pump.. it does not have a check ball it has what I would describe as a piston in it .. kinda like a cylindrical cup deal under the spring instead of a ball..

Tried to use the check ball kit I ordered anyway just to see if it would work and of course it did not.

Have any of you seen this style of oil pump, and if so do you have any tips on how I can fix my sumping issue?

Thanks
  • 750devo
    • Oct 2010

Sounds like you opened up the pressure release bypass, not the check ball. Check ball is on primary side of pump. Pressure relief is on timing side of pump.

Maybe snap a photo of pump

Comment

• Sky
      • Aug 2009

Aaand, it's not usually the ball, but the ball seat that needs attention...

Comment

• Dragstews
        • Sep 2010

Last edited by Dragstews; 04-28-2017, 8:57 AM.
        Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Quint
          • Nov 2013

Awesome. Thanks.. I'll give it another try.. if I'm still having issues I'll throw some pictures up

Comment

• edhd13
            • Jul 2016

The problem could also be the seal on the oil pump drive shaft, between the gear chambers, or, a loose idler shaft in the gear chamber. this is a common problem

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;