Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Davestune
    • May 2014

i dont have clutch problems, i like my stock clutch, barnet makes good plates , set them up right and they work

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by bastard78
      Nothing works with these shitty old 5 finger clutches! Buy a Primo, bolt in and be done with it! (sorry man, can you tell I spent a shit ton of time trying to get mine to work?)
      Man I hate to hear you couldn't get it to work for you.... I've never had any problems once I figured out the real problem.......

Comment

• bastard78
        • Oct 2014

The real problem is its a poor design to begin with. Too much friction in all aspects of the clutch actuation and release. The 3 finger "works" better but is weaker because it has fewer fingers. I matched plates, I ground and filed holes in plates to get them to slide properly and tried every tamer and doo dad they make. You just can't polish a turd. I'm glad yours is working, but if you ride your shovel with any regularity it probably won't for long.

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by bastard78
          The real problem is its a poor design to begin with. Too much friction in all aspects of the clutch actuation and release. The 3 finger "works" better but is weaker because it has fewer fingers. I matched plates, I ground and filed holes in plates to get them to slide properly and tried every tamer and doo dad they make. You just can't polish a turd. I'm glad yours is working, but if you ride your shovel with any regularity it probably won't for long.
          Like I've said I've never had problems..... It's very easy to say it doesn't work and spend money on the newest coolest fad.........

I've ridden my Shovel, Pan and Knuck many miles with zero problems because it's adjust properly....
          Did you work the bearing surface of the clutch basket that when you spin it the way it rotates that it goes in not out????? I bet not am I right???
          Last edited by Tattooo; 04-26-2017, 5:02 PM.

Comment

• ShovelLiberty74
            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Gatlin5478
            Recently put in a new transmission, clutch springs, 5 finger hub, pressure plate, and Barnett clutch cable. Having issues with clutch wanting to dump when first starting bike and shift into first. Only does it when you rev it up for the first couple of minutes. Clutch isn't slipping in any gears. Adjusted the pressure plate last night half a round and seems like it may have got worse. Any body got any ideas? Thanks in advance
            Had clutch problems for years on my shovel, belt drive open primary 4 spd. Recently this is what I did and my clutch now works fantastic! Put a new stock friction disc on my clutch basket. Ditched the stock clutch hub to basket caged, staggered bearing set up and installed the big fix long bearings and 5 stud clutch hub Ramm Jett retainer. Resurfaced clutch basket disc surface and sanded all 10 hub fingers to get rid off the small grooves in them. Resurfaced aluminum releasing disc. Installed V-Twin police clutch discs and plates after sanding both the discs and plates to rough up the surfaces. Installed Barnett heavy duty clutch springs. Since I have an aftermarket pressure plate and releasing disc there are no instructions I had to tension the springs. I tightened them down until I got coil bind with the clutch lever depressed then backed them off 2 full turns each. As for adjusting the clutch pushrod adjuster and clutch cable, I basically did the factory set up but set both the pushrod adjuster and cable tighter than what they call for. The clutch now engages and disengages super! There is no slippage and none of that grabbing, lurching crap with the bike stopped in first gear. I can also find neutral pretty easy with the bike stopped. Don't really understand what you mean by the clutch wanting to "dump". This is the set up I found that works great after many years of fighting with my clutch. Good luck!

Comment

• capomorra
              • Sep 2014

bump since i'm having the same issue. 1980 FXE, rotary top...

i thought i was the only person in the world with this problem after adjusting the clutch, cleaning the plates so many times i've gotten a few extra ideas from this thread. thank you

Comment

• TamTam
                • Mar 2020

Hi i have a haynes manual ... my primary was lubricate by the motor oil.. this is a wet or dry clutch??? I have a 5 fingers hubs 5 friction plate and 4 steel plate ... in my f** manual i read : place the clutch plate one at a time beginning whit a steel plate , followed by a friction disc and continue installing alternating between two types of plate..... ??????? When i beginning whit a steel plate i finnosh whit two friction disc togetter?!??!?

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TamTam
                  Hi i have a haynes manual ... my primary was lubricate by the motor oil.. this is a wet or dry clutch??? I have a 5 fingers hubs 5 friction plate and 4 steel plate ... in my f** manual i read : place the clutch plate one at a time beginning whit a steel plate , followed by a friction disc and continue installing alternating between two types of plate..... ??????? When i beginning whit a steel plate i finnosh whit two friction disc togetter?!??!?
                  The problem is you have a Haynes manual...............

Comment

• JBinNC
                    • Dec 2018

Shovel clutch, start with a fiber plate, end with a fiber plate.

Throw that f*** manual away.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
                      Shovel clutch, start with a fiber plate, end with a fiber plate.

Throw that f*** manual away.

Jim
                      Yep!!!!!!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;