Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daveyrobin1
    • Aug 2016

1957-72 drum brake help

Ok, for starters I bought a 1957 rigid frame with it redone frome seat post forward with mild rake and stretch. I previously had a cone shovel in a rigid I didnt like. took out the cone shovel, primary, and ratchet top, and sold the rest as a roller. Plan on using the drivetrain in new frame. I want to do the 18" rear rim with a hydraulic drum brake. Ive searched for the past couple weeks trying to undersand how to make this work and Im hitting some bumps on not knowing compatibility. To my (possibly wrong) understanding, the 1957 had the rear mechanical brake, the hydraulic brakes wer 58-72, but 67-72 were for a midstar rim. I guessing the stock rim would have been 16x3, but the only 18" star hub rims I find are 2.15, and usually on front ends.
    So my question is this, will the 58-66 hydraulic drum mount to and fit the 57 frame with the 2.15 wheel and line up proper?
    Im still learning, sorry ahead of time for any ignorance.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Daveyrobin1
    So my question is this, will the 58-66 hydraulic drum mount to and fit the 57 frame with the 2.15 wheel and line up proper?

Yes it will work and has been done many times.....

Comment

• elchoppero
      • Jan 2015

Check out Wargasser on instagram, He does a bracket to fit hydraulic drum on rigid BT frame. https://www.instagram.com/_wargasser_/

Comment

• usmc50lx
        • Jan 2013

use the Wargasser bracket or something similar. now the thing is 58-66 is a narrower drum and different backing plate, wheel cylinder and axle hardware. get everything for your appropriate year of hub ie: Star hub use 58-66, mid star use 67-72 as the bearings are different as well as all the spacers. once all lined up you will have to offset lace the wheel over by about 1/4-3/8 depending on which juice drum you go with. I just did a pretty crazy one in a V-Twin replica frame that was the disc brake frame so it was in an inch wider than a stock rigid frame so I had to turn all sorts of spacers and an axle down etc. to fit the 67-72 drum in it but it all came out and is unnoticeable if nothing was said unless you busted out a tape measure or had an original frame next to it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;