Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • discodoug
    • Nov 2013

clutch hub removal-help please

I need to change the clutch hub on my '96 sportster. Yes I have a manual but is says something about removing a clip behind the hub and I can't even see that. I know I need to take the left hand thread nut off. Do I have to use a puller to slide the hub off the shaft? Will the clutch shell come with it? I read somewhere I'll need a press, what for? Please tell me how to get this off, I'm to po' to put it in the shop. Thanks
  • Sky
    • Aug 2009

Disassemble what you can then take the clutch hub/basket assembly to a shop
    Last edited by Sky; 04-17-2017, 11:11 PM. Reason: spellings

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

I'd buy or make the tool since they aren't expensive. I like Motion Pro tools but homebrew versions get the job done.

An lawnmower blade already has a center hole you can fit over the clutch adjusting screw. No blade mods needed. Add a flat washer (blade holes are usually a bit large) and a nut. You can use PVC pipe or metal, whatever you have handy. I sawed off a piece of scrap cylinder sleeve from some Jap bike when I made mine. I gave it away when I got the Motion Pro since I like the access better.

This guys video covers it. Skip around to the useful parts since he's not very concise:

This is how I saved money by making my own tool instead of buying the $70 specialty tool recommended by HD.

Comment

• discodoug
        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by farmall
        I'd buy or make the tool since they aren't expensive. I like Motion Pro tools but homebrew versions get the job done.

An lawnmower blade already has a center hole you can fit over the clutch adjusting screw. No blade mods needed. Add a flat washer (blade holes are usually a bit large) and a nut. You can use PVC pipe or metal, whatever you have handy. I sawed off a piece of scrap cylinder sleeve from some Jap bike when I made mine. I gave it away when I got the Motion Pro since I like the access better.

This guys video covers it. Skip around to the useful parts since he's not very concise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQnlt8twX3k
        I've already got the pressure plate and clutch pack and all that off. I need to get the actual clutch hub off, the basket that the clutch fibers and steel plates go into.

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Remove the nut holding the engine sprocket.

Then remove the clutch hub nut. I put trans in gear then lock the rear wheel (I use a wooden hammer handle through the drive pulley) then remove the nut holding the hub to the transmission shaft.

The primary chain, sprocket and clutch basket assembly slide off together.

The factory service manual covers this. Any manual that isn't a factory manual is inferior and should be replaced with the factory book. Always get a factory parts catalog too for more exploded views and, of course, part numbers.

1998 factory manual. Check the rest of the site too.

Workshop Service Manual for a CPI rlx250 disc drum, free download from carlsalter.com
          Last edited by farmall; 04-19-2017, 12:33 AM.

Comment

• 4evrshovel
            • Apr 2014

I bought a clutch hub puller a couple years ago. I think it was $30 Canadian. I have used it twice. but, sometimes the right tool is worth it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;