Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nanonevol
    • Feb 2017

Excellent! I will get there. I didn't build it and this bike just wants me to earn it and I respect that. By the way, yes, they are Mikuni VR Round slides and I measure them to be 30 mm. The builder was a Harley guy (priming kicks) mainly and quite competent by the looks of it - and nothing stupid or ugly or flashy on the bike. I would think that he put in the recommended jets and such but won't know until I get into it. Can't assume. So, Doug, you have vast experience. What would be the recommended jets and slides and such? Or - what would you look at if it was your Triumph? Again it's a 67 with a 750 bore kit with very low miles on since. My coil checked out fine by the way.
    None of us are getting any younger...I hope to be riding when I'm old (er).
    Last edited by Nanonevol; 04-19-2017, 3:12 PM.

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Tattooo
      You know what assume means right???????

Now your guessing..... Or reading your information wrong like the guy said on the other Triumph thread where the guy want's to the years of the bikes....

I still say a one kick bike all the time hot and cold every time without a prime kick on a vintage Triumph or Harley without an accelerator pump is a pipe dream.........
      I can see why people call you a troll. I just tried to help the guy, and gave him a bunch of info based on limited information, you are not helping at all so I am done here. Cya!

Comment

• Apr 2012

So, VR series carbs came on a million different bikes. Again, We will assume they probably were ordered as a kit from a distributor like Sudco or Rocky Point cycle. So, SHOULD be in the ball park. But they could just as easily been some dirt bike carbs adapted. So only way is to check everything.
        ** Fun factoid. I haul this out everytime some ignoramus says "I wont put some jap crap on my limey bike" The VR series round slide carb is a AMAL design, sold under license to Mikuni. Mikuni has been using AMAL designs since 1923. Amal came out with an improved carb and the British bike companies refused to buy them, At one point Amal lost 1 pound on every carb they installed on a Triumph-BSA-Norton but made up for it in spares sales. So without a market for the improved carbs Amal sold it to Mikuni. When US emissions/imports forced their hand they finally did install a new carb version, The Amal Mk2 Which if you study it is only marginally different than a VM,**
        So, read this page and you can better understand WHY a idle air circuit is so important as well as the correct jets. Its for a AMAL concentric but the principles are the same for ALL carbs.
        SEE: http://www.jba.bc.ca/Bushmans%20Carb%20Tuning.html

At the bottom of that article is some info on Mikunis.

Heres a page with a quick search that has ball park settings for Mikunis, I havent used it but looks impressive. My stuff is mostly in notebooks in my shop, but perhaps this will help,
        See: http://www.geckokustoms.com/blog/50-...ing-table.html

My ballpark recomendations is for a regular 650 a single VM 32 is best. For a hot rodded 650 or 750 up to a single VM 34 can be used properly jetted. Single carbs have better low end, torque and easier to maintain.
        For dual carbs.. dual 28s to 30s is best, But up to VM32s, Again you have to jet, needles and slides accuratley to get good response.

The key here is how the carb responds to the engine. You HAVE to have the right parts because EVERYTHING is driven off that vacuum signal. Again, read the Bushmans article and you will understand. Also dont forget B7ES NGK plugs.

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Ok I thought about all of your post over dinner....

Yes I'm sure you might be right, But were not talking about you and the way you build bikes or me for that matter... And were not talking about freaks of nature... Hell I had a 66 shovel back in 1974 that I could crank with my hand... And I could do that anytime I wanted.... I made a lot of money betting people in bars......It was just a freak of nature because it is for damn sure I didn't know what I was doing back then....
          I use to think the same way as you when I first got on forums... You need to remember many of the people that post questions on CC have almost no knowledge about bikes and very little tools to work with...

So telling them that they can build a freak of nature is setting them up for a fall...........

Just my 2 cents

Comment

• Sky
            • Aug 2009

How many revolutions are you getting out of one kick on a Triumph? Not more than three, if even.
            And at what RPM? Um, slow.
            Is the barometric pressure in your favor today? What about the smog? And relative humidity?
            How many people have gathered to witness the beast come to life?
            Does your cool one handed Zippo lighter trick work every, I mean, every time?

Tattoo is more righter than Mr Annoyance, in my humble opinion.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Sky

Tattoo is more righter than Mr Annoyance, in my humble opinion.
              Thank you Sky....

Comment

• mttm
                • Apr 2016

I'm running an old clapped out amal with boyer . As long as it's tickled it fires first kick, its all set up and in my case luck!

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by mttm
                  I'm running an old clapped out amal with boyer . As long as it's tickled it fires first kick, its all set up and in my case luck!
                  Yep now I totally agree with that.... That's the same as a prime kick..... But a Mikuni doesn't have that function...

Comment

• Nanonevol
                    • Feb 2017

Thanks Doug. Besides the helpful tips you convinced me it can ce done. I'm on it.

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Nanonevol
                      Thanks Doug. Besides the helpful tips you convinced me it can ce done. I'm on it.
                      Good luck.... Let us know how you come out.....

Comment

• Nanonevol
                        • Feb 2017

Will do.

Comment

• Sky
                          • Aug 2009

So maybe this guy sets his float(s) too high, letting the bike be in a constant state of "prime"

Comment

• Nanonevol
                            • Feb 2017

Sky, could you elaborate on that please? Meanwhile, the manual is on the way and I sent a quick query to Sudco who suggested maybe my pilots are too small or clogged. The bike came with some extra jets which is cool and Whitworth tools etc. Kind of funny that I need three sets of tools for this Triumph!

Comment

• datadavid
                              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Nanonevol
                              The primer kicks don't count - I like that! But still it needs those 3 kicks and I'd like to bring it to a finer point of tune. The Mikuni manual is on order - thanks for that - and I'm sure it will explain the idle screw which I don't understand what it does as the point of it is in the middle of the barrel and doesn't go into a jet of any kind. Thanks for taking the time for the replies - much appreciated. Lots of good info for me here. I'm real stubborn and determined and have a lot to learn but I'm handier than most and I'll get there. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
                              I dont prime kick, it starts anyway so i guess its a minus 2 kick bike😃 enormous difference starting a hotrodded 750 and a tiny little 500 though. I dont even need to force it down.

Comment

• Apr 2012

Was talking to a local guy who has some problems with his Mickey-Roonies running too rich. ( Mikuni jets are #ed backwards so likey instead of smaller jets he got larger ones instead) but I was looking for a link to Victory library and my links were dead. I just found the new links so you might also want to look at this page, I have some of the Victory library stuff and IMHO their stuff is top notch,
                                see: http://victorylibrary.com/MIK-BT.htm

This is not like the generic manual that came with your carburetor, but begins where they leave off, and goes far beyond into fine tuning. Not an expert mechanic? You’ll still find this useful to identify what adjustments and parts you need. All parts are easily available all over the world at reasonable prices. If you’ve considered using a Mikuni, you should read this product.
                                I guarantee that you’ll find information in this product you’ve never seen before, and that will help you plan and complete your carburetor conversion.
                                Consider this: if this product saves you from making even a single mistake or bad purchase, or gives you one new idea, doesn’t that make this purchase worth while? The price is less than that of tuning components you may not need, and only a small fraction of what you will invest in the carburetors - plan more intelligently, and get better results.
                                Contents are 42 pages (over 30,000 words), including 20 black & white illustrations & diagrams, plus 35 data tables including 9 jetting tables containing specific trial jetting suggestions for motors based on displacement and carburetor size: 17 entries for single carburetor, 24 entries for individual carburetors. This is far more specific content on these engines than any other source. The subject matter includes:
                                Mikuni VM vs. Amal Monobloc & Concentric; differences in components and function.
                                Carburetor selection; choice of size depending on displacement, head, intake manifold, cam timing.
                                Tuning components; which parts can be adjusted or substituted to change mixture & when, where the parts are located, how to remove them, what the markings & sizes mean, which jet types are correct for each model.
                                Needle jets: 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke, primary vs. bleed type.
                                Needles sorted by length & marking; analyzing needle tapers, which needles are used in which carburetors & why.
                                Adjusting mixture for hot cams, alternate exhaust systems including TT pipes, megaphones, diagnosing and correcting mixture based on symptoms, using a vacuum gauge.
                                Dynamometer testing; how to prepare, tools & supplies.
                                Tuned length intake manifold; how to make calculations for more power, including 5 Tables of pre-calculated manifold lengths based on cam duration, RPM, etc.
                                Dual carburetor conversion; how to convert your single-carburetor twin (TR6, &c.) to dual carburetors, selecting size, how to make your own individual manifolds from common materials.
                                Tunnel-ram intake manifold; more power for single-carburetor racers with theory, calculations and dimensions, including illustrations and 2 Tables of pre-set data.
                                Tuned “Helmholtz” resonator; add an air box for power, discusses theory, calculation and dimensions, including 5 Tables of pre-set data.
                                Increased airflow with the UFO and similar devices.
                                Air cleaner; how to select & improve an air cleaner for more air flow.
                                Jetting tables; specific trial (initial starting point) jetting suggestions for motors based on displacement, single or twin cylinder, single or dual carburetor(s), carburetor size.
                                Velocity stacks and ram tubes; how they work, which ones are best.
                                Jetting for alcohol; discusses jetting changes for methanol, ethanol, advantages, maintenance, safety.
                                Sample Worksheet; to prompt you to keep records of changes vs. effects
                                Most dimensions are given in fractional inches, decimal inches and metric for the convenience of tuners in all languages.
                                VICTORY LIBRARY has been a respected source of technical literature on older motorcycles since 1971. This information is not reprinted from other articles, magazines, or factory literature and is not available anywhere else, and not included in any of my other books; click here for other related titles: Victory Library booklets. I’ve also written booklets on Amal Concentric Tuning for British motorcycles: Amal Concentric Tuning for British motorcycles and Amal Monobloc Tuning for British motorcycles Amal Monobloc Tuning for British motorcycles, and one on the Linkert Model “M” brass carburetor, used on all older Harley-Davidson & Indian models: Tuning the Linkert Model “M” brass carburetor.
                                Please note: this is not a repair manual. If your bike won’t start, the float bowl leaks, the spark plugs foul, &c. my product will not help you. It does not contain information on tune-ups, or explain how to remove, disassemble, clean, repair or rebuild the carburetor. If you do not already have this information please, don’t buy this product yet. If your engine is stock and you’re pleased with how it runs now, this product will not be of much use, although you might find it interesting. This is not a coffee table book, it is intended to be a research tool for those who want to make serious use of their Mikuni VM carburetors.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;