CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 11 of 11 First ... 91011

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Failure was not an option.

Last edited by Nanonevol; 10-04-2018 at 2:59 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

^^^^ That's awesome...^^^^ Now if it will do it hot, cold all the time you got it..... Congrats....

Get Adobe Flash player

Great to hear it fire right up and to finally see it - it looks and sounds great!
    How's the ride?

Get Adobe Flash player

I haven't ridden in years and never had a bike like this so it takes some adjustment. I like the low seat. Motor is running great. I'm not "street legal" yet so nothing but short jaunts in the neighborhood. I'll be set today or tomorrow.
    Oh, and thanks for the comments!
    I'd like to know what my electrical (as Doug knew it was) problem was. I'm having my Boyer's tested. I think these motors are forgiving to small mis-adjustments and such and will run, if not perfectly. I was fretting over fresh fuel and exact valve clearances and plug gaps and such when the motor would have a least run. I couldn't get it to run at all, really!
    Last edited by Nanonevol; 10-05-2018 at 6:44 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice Ride.

Many look at me like I have three heads with three eyes each, when I say, I hate electronic ignitions. I'll rip out EI systems and replace them with points and condensers on my rides.

In the 1970s and 80s, my daily ride was a 1973 Triumph 750 Tiger, wired up with a Harley coil with points and condenser for 16 years. Trashed it three times and reanimated it each time.

I will make these suggestions:

1.] If you don't already carry a Leatherman multi tool when you ride, start.

2.] keep some 2"x2" pieces of 320 grit wet/dry black sandpaper or a nail board in your wallet. I made my own nail boards by gluing
    320 grit wet/dry black sandpaper to both sides of a popsicle or ice cream stick, tongue depressors will do, as well.

Just my two cents, feel free to agree, that we may disagree.
    Last edited by Avon; 10-06-2018 at 8:54 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Doh!
    Sent my two Boyers out to be tested. The newer IV is fine but the III I struggled with for so long is no good. Problem with the advance circuits. At low RPM the timing jumps around drastically. Not sure what damaged it but running on the wrong coil wired for low impedence couldn't have helped. Still don't know why I was having trouble with the replacement IV. Apparently my pickup magnets are strong enough.
    This motor is due for a look at the sludge trap anyway.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Avon View Post
    Nice Ride.

Many look at me like I have three heads with three eyes each, when I say, I hate electronic ignitions. I'll rip out EI systems and replace them with points and condensers on my rides.

In the 1970s and 80s, my daily ride was a 1973 Triumph 750 Tiger, wired up with a Harley coil with points and condenser for 16 years. Trashed it three times and reanimated it each time.

I will make these suggestions:

1.] If you don't already carry a Leatherman multi tool when you ride, start.

2.] keep some 2"x2" pieces of 320 grit wet/dry black sandpaper or a nail board in your wallet. I made my own nail boards by gluing
    320 grit wet/dry black sandpaper to both sides of a popsicle or ice cream stick, tongue depressors will do, as well.

Just my two cents, feel free to agree, that we may disagree.
    Well there are certainly many who can do just fine with Points and manage to maintain them properly, My advice is not to, Based on my experience running a shop, MOST people cant or wont run them right or maintain them right...Plus the design was never good to begin with, Even the engineers and shop personell building the bikes said it at the time. Triumphs dont have as many issues as Norton and BSA, but the design beats the crap out of the adv mech, So i repaired a LOT of trashed motors because of points and adv mech problems.

But what ever floats anyones boat, If it works for you carry on!

However want to address one point you raised because a LOT of people have read and subscibe to this thread.

DONT SAND YOUR POINTS! DONT! to CLEAN your points get a open face business card (Not laminated) or some construction paper,, Close the points on the strip of paper and draw/pull it thru,,you can use a dab of electrical cleaner or MEK if you like. When the paper comes out clean you are good to go.

If you have bad condensers,, Spark will jump across and damage the face of the points, same with people who dont know any better and sanded them. The points faces are covered with a very expensive metal called Stellite. This protects the point faces and allows them to function properly, When you erode off that coating or sand it off the points go to shit quickly, and that means you gotta sand & sand and sand again.......

The reason some points are more expensive that others is the quality of the materials, better quality have better materials and thicker coating of Stellite. Crappy points have a thinner coating and the spring material in the arms is substandard, as well as the plastic contacts degrade, Some points use other materials that stellite, but stellite is the best.

Seems like a bad idea to spend the money on a good set of points and then destroy them?

If anyone wants points,,point plates, and adv mechanisms for BSA-Triumph or Norton contact me, I have a lot of them and wont use them myself, I sell them cheaper than most anywhere else and I could use the $$$$$

Glad to hear it finally start...first time and run OK, took a while but you got there in the end, just shows that electronic ignition can be just as much of a pain as points...now just go out and ride and enjoy.

Get Adobe Flash player

Mid 70's to late 80's, I rode my sled daily for 16 years straight, except when I was rebuilding it after being tackled by some shite for brains behind the wheel of an automobile.

In those years, I rebuilt the bottom end once, and the top end twice, first time to replace the valve seats, second time, out of boredom. I ran a Harley 33,000 volt coil, using a Harley condenser, with NGK sparks. And the points and condenser were swapped out yearly. The Bitch was a one kick bike, except that one frosty winter morn she kicked back and left me with a six inch long groove in my shin. Never pinged once, back when leaded gas was outlawed.

Though not a common occurrence, one pass with the wet/dry paper was always enough to remove any carbon and get her running.

But, I bow to your learned experience.

Share This