CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Seeking sissy bar ideas for chopped struts/Tsunami fender on a non-rigid Sporty...

Going camping in a couple weeks and looking to lock down some luggage on the back. I'm a solid welder so happy to fab up whatever. Also have a couple pairs of sissy bar mounts that worked before I hacked off the rear fender mounts which are basically useless. Happy to chop those up as well!

Any thoughts/ideas/inspiration would be grately appreciated!

Here's what I'm working with:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 10.06.08 PM.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Why not just make a sissy bar that mounts to your mini fender struts? Should give you ample space to strap stuff to.
    If you don't want a Sissy bar you could bend up some solid and make some offset frames on each side which bolt to the upper shock mount and back bolt of your fender struts to keep bags off the exhaust and brake. Then either fit throw over style saddle bags or just strap your gear to them.

Nick

Get Adobe Flash player

If I did that where would I mount it so it doesn't fall forwards or backwards?

Deadstick

I think i see what Anthiron is saying, use the shock bolt and the other fender strut bolt to anchor your sissy bar then follow your fender curve and angle it how you like.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Deadstick View Post
    I think i see what Anthiron is saying, use the shock bolt and the other fender strut bolt to anchor your sissy bar then follow your fender curve and angle it how you like.
    Deadstick is on the money. You need two anchors to stop your sissy bar from just pivotting backwards. You still have fender struts albeit short ones but they should be ample for what you want to do.
    I would make 3mm side brackets which fit in between the struts and the fender which will hide them somewhat and keep it neat.

The below is not my bike, just someone from a quick google search. His/her brackets are on the outside but you get the idea.

https://www.google.com.au/imgres?img...act=mrc&uact=8

Nick

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Anthiron View Post
    This is what I am doing. I have a 97 Sporty with a Tsunami fender. Mine is in the process of getting a lot of work done.

Get Adobe Flash player

Rad. That's exactly what I'll do. Thanks dudes!

Will update this thread with pictures once it's complete.

Get Adobe Flash player

From an old Honda, connected to the strut and shock bolt. The tab that connects to the shock is a C shape, so I can just slide it off after removing the two strut bolts. I've put 2000+ miles on this setup, never had an issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ari View Post
    Going camping in a couple weeks and looking to lock down some luggage on the back. I'm a solid welder so happy to fab up whatever. Also have a couple pairs of sissy bar mounts that worked before I hacked off the rear fender mounts which are basically useless. Happy to chop those up as well!

Any thoughts/ideas/inspiration would be grately appreciated!

Here's what I'm working with:

Did you ever come up with a sissy bar? Have the same dilemma for my 2016

Share This