CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Torque for flush mount rear axle problems

I have a 200 Ultima frame with flush mount axle as pictured, I dont have a torque so went with what I could find of a Harley spec 60-65ftlb but that doesnt tighten axle in frame and the wheel moves but does have drag. Any idea what spec is or a solution. When I put axle in with spacers it was extremely difficult to get spacers in seemed very tight as they should.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails axle_7_1.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

It appears the nut is tight as it will thread on so the question is why is it moving forward and back spacers aren't movable so it must be just loose enough to be a problem

Get Adobe Flash player

does the Nut (in the top of photo) run out of thread when you tighten, or is there
    still travel left for tightening? If that (top) Nut is going all the way to the end
    of its travel, You may need to add a shim washer between that nut & the frame.

.040 - .060 thick would be good to start with, then tighten it up & see if that helped.
    if It did, Then remove the washer And try thinner washers until you find the thinnest washer
    that allows the axle/wheel assembly to lock up tight without movement. in other
    words you don't want the washer too thick, as this could create a gap on the opposite
    end of the axle.

Also, If You axle spacers are too small of a diameter & has a small contact area where it
    goes against the frame, that could cause slippage as well.

Get Adobe Flash player

Went to local custom bike shop and he gave the same advice in regards to shimming and that was the fix, turns out axle is too long by 1/8" and threading as far as required to tighten it up. Thanks

Share This