CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Speedo on chopper

Hey everyone. I've been lurking for a while but decided to make an account so I could ask a question. My newest bike is a custom chopper with a 1996 1340 Evo in it. I am trying to figure out how to get a working speedometer. The bike has minimal wiring and such. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me? I have to get one plumbed in so I can get it titled from the DMV.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've heard of some people using wireless bicycle speedometers before. Don't know how cool your DMV would be with it though. Some places don't care if it's wired or not as long as it works. And you only need to keep it on the bike long enough to get your paperwork. Unless you're looking for a more permanent solution...

If the engine that your bike came out of has the speed sensor, it is only a few wires to wire the speedo up. I kept mine on my sporty and moved it off to the side with an Autometer mount. Ditched the idiot lights.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DIABOLUS View Post
    I've heard of some people using wireless bicycle speedometers before. Don't know how cool your DMV would be with it though. Some places don't care if it's wired or not as long as it works. And you only need to keep it on the bike long enough to get your paperwork. Unless you're looking for a more permanent solution...
    Most bikes confuse the wireless speedos I have had very good luck with the Sigma wired bicycle speedometers. Sigma makes a speedo specifically for motorcycles but they cost more. I couldn't get the wireless Sigma to work on any of my bikes ended up giving it away to someone who pedals and buying one with wires. I find that a speedo is necessary to keep my law enforcement contributions within reason.
    http://www.sigmasport.com/en/produkte/motorrad-computer

any of the wired speedometers on this page http://www.sigmasport.com/en/produkte/fahrrad-computer
    Dusty

Quote Originally Posted by Yodhan View Post
    If the engine that your bike came out of has the speed sensor, it is only a few wires to wire the speedo up. I kept mine on my sporty and moved it off to the side with an Autometer mount. Ditched the idiot lights.
    Yea, I just can't seem to figure out if mine came with a speed sensor. The only wire I can find on my tranny is a green one coming out of the top.

Quote Originally Posted by DustyDave View Post
    Most bikes confuse the wireless speedos I have had very good luck with the Sigma wired bicycle speedometers. Sigma makes a speedo specifically for motorcycles but they cost more. I couldn't get the wireless Sigma to work on any of my bikes ended up giving it away to someone who pedals and buying one with wires. I find that a speedo is necessary to keep my law enforcement contributions within reason.
    http://www.sigmasport.com/en/produkte/motorrad-computer

any of the wired speedometers on this page http://www.sigmasport.com/en/produkte/fahrrad-computer
    Dusty
    That's not a bad idea. The other thing I came up with is to run a rear wheel snail with a mini speedo tucked by the side of the motor. I don't want to run anything off the front wheel since I have a springer and it starts to look crammed with anything running down it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Here is the pickup on the girder on my 40 SS would be cleaner on the rear but this isn't bad. The piece of tube allows me to adjust the sensor clearance quickly. Could be mounted much cleaner but this way it comes off with one nut two rubber bands and two tie wraps.

Dusty

SamHain

Do they check of it works at the dmv? They don't here, put in on and run a wire under the tank.

Thanks for the pics Dusty, that might be what I end up doing.

And I'm not sure if they check SamHain, but I should just try that first and try to save myself the headache/money of getting a working speedo.

Get Adobe Flash player

Bummer - DMV checked out my bike with no turn signals, no speedo, no horn, and they gave no fucks. For a speedo I just use an iPhone ap and a RAM mount. Gets me speedo, tunes, and GPS. Ran a little charger cord and now my phone is 100% battery wherever I show up, and its all tucked nicely behind the mini fairing on my FXR

Get Adobe Flash player

Phones are the way to go. A speedo won't tell me about cops, accidents or traffic. Waze does it all.

Get Adobe Flash player

Garmin edge 20. Gps powered speedo. Super tiny no wires at all. Just clips to bars.

Get Adobe Flash player

DMV don't really care about if the speedo works or not. They just want to see an ODO reading for the paperwork.
    Some forms have a box to exempt older bikes from said reading...
    But alls you have to do is mount a non-working mechanical speedo for them to eyeball.
    Every bike inspected from this one shop i worked at has the same mileage on paper.

That being said, these new fangled smartwatches have speedo and navigation functions as well...

Well guys I bought a cheap $12 mechanical speedometer off Amazon to try and use for the inspection. It's in KMH but I am going to pop it open and make a new MPH decal at work at stick it in there just for piece of mind. I think for a true speedo I will use my phone when needed. Eventually I would like to try to setup the rear wheel snail and a mechanical mini speedo mounted somewhere by the seat.

Share This