CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default obtaining a VIN number?? (rhode island)

heyo--

i bought a sick lil chopper project bike ('72 cb500) off CL a couple months back, and i'm trying to legitimately register it in Rhode Island. I have a title for the engine and tranny, BUT the frame is a total custom garage job-- in excellent shape, good welds, would physically pass inspection-- but no markings anywhere, and def no VIN number on the neck.

I checked the RI DMV for info on inspecting + registering kit/ custom builds, and everything says I have to have a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin for the frame-- which obvi does not exist.

I'm wondering if anyone has jumped through these paperwork hurdles up here in New England and has any advice for me?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I purhcased a survivor Triumph frame that is molded and painted with a title that definitely was not for my frame. I had a my motor built and the builder left the case blank so i could stamp it for what the title read. Transferred the title to my name with no issues which was such a relief(New Jersey DMV can really suck sometimes). If your title is clean and everything is signed in the proper spots without any errors I would imagine you'd be good to go to get it transferred. As for numbers on your frame i doubt anyone will look for them if you get pulled over. Let us know how you make out. Good luck

Get Adobe Flash player

See how easy it would be to produce your own MSO, call a local shop and see if someone has anything to say, I honestly would have called DMV right away and said "Hey, I built this thing over the past two years and it's more roadworthy than these Chinese scooters, how can I get a title?" You could also pose that question to any LEO most guys understand basket cases are around and engines can be bought fairly cheap at swap meets, let alone ebay.

Something that I see after re-reading all this is that you have a title for the motor, go titled it, some vintage bikes just titled the motors and had no markings on the frame, not likely with a honda, but I imagine if I wrecked a bike I'd keep the title with the motor. The law sure makes it hard to be free...

Get Adobe Flash player

There's a dude on here called "birth control" I think. He has a thread "Long bike from RI" where he built a bike with a swap meet frame. He can probably give you some advice.
    Personally, I have stayed away from buying swap meet frames or shit with no papers because I'd like to keep what I work for.
    Last edited by DrFxr; 03-23-2017 at 3:16 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I registered my '72 sporty chop in RI with nothing more than the expired NY state registration that came with it. As far as RI DMV is concerned, it's a 1972 sportster.
    No custom or composite involved. It was super easy at the Narragansett office.

Share This