X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metalheart28
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
    I wanted to update this thread.

So the little 90 amp Harbor Freight flux wire feed unit I bought works, but man what a mess every time I make a spark. I needed to step up a little or else spend a heck of a lot of time cleaning up splatter. This unit would be good for working outdoors, but in the shop it is not the best solution.

I did buy a nice 3M Speedglas helmet, that made life a LOT easier and instantly improved the experience.

Yesterday I accepted delivery of an Accurate Tools 110v/220v 3 in 1 TIG / Stick welder and Plasma cutter. I figure for $350.00 for the unit and a foot pedal I can at least give TIG a whirl. My garage is set up for 100amp 220v so I am covered there. Today I will pick up a few tungstens and tonight I will see if I can make some sparks. Found a local place that has refurbished 55cm argon gas tanks for $100.00 filled. They refil for under $20.00 and it is on the way home from work so I am ok there.

I will post up some pictures once I play for a bit.
    is this setup new? if so where did you get it

Comment

• DoomBuggy
      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by metalheart28
      is this setup new? if so where did you get it
      The main unit I got it off ebay, from a guy who goes by DMSSGS from Michigan. Managed to get a last second bid on one and snagged it pretty cheap. Shipping to me was another $30.00.

The footpedal came off ebay from a guy who goes by mjiim1 and was a straight $60.00.

Full Disclosure: last night I started really making a mess and today I couldn't get a good spark to hold. Finally figured out the Argon regulator that came with it crapped the bed. I sent the seller a note and will let everyone know what I find out.

Tomorrow I will play with the Plasma Cutter while I wait for a regulator.

Comment

• Hardrocker
        • Jan 2018

Eastwood 135. They put it on sale for around $250. It does everything up to 1/4” and will fit a spool gun for aluminum.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
          • Oct 2016

Another update.

I have been playing with the TIG unit from eBay and am now able to do very nice, strong tack welds. I still cannot lay down a solid bead, but you know what, that is ok. ( For those who know, I am getting this brown residue everywhere, not sure if it is my heat or contamination, or bad gas? )

I had been making all of my brackets and am just about ready to start mounting them to the frame and such. (Of course then I went and cut a chunk out of my palm while making dinner which is slowing me down!) I have decided I will tack everything in place and then take it to a real welder to weld them all the way up.

I will continue to play with the TIG, the Missus wants some new trellis' for her garden. Hopefully I will get good at it by the time I freaking die, lol.

edit: I should mention that the guy I bought the unit from had me check an adjustment on the regulator and then sent me a new one right away, no charge.
          Last edited by DoomBuggy; 02-02-2018, 9:17 AM.

Comment

• hankhill
            • Mar 2013

I just picked up an Eastwood 200DC tig unit for 200 bucks on a super sale. runs 120/240 and I have gotten 140 amps out of it at 120, full penetration on 1/4. Super nice unit for the price if anyone is looking.

Comment

• adenbennett1
              • Aug 2021

No process controls heat and produces fine welds like a TIG machine. Whether you call it TIG, Heli-Arc or GTAW, this process is top of the line. This two-handed method is also the most rewarding to master. A TIG machine carries quite a price if you’re unsure what you really need. We waded through a crowd of machines to find the 10 best TIG welders. Here's a list of the Top Tiny TIG welders we found on the market.

Comment

• docmel
                • May 2015

Whatever you get, be aware the cheaper ones dont have a speed control. These type of welders, to me at least, are only good for welding very small gauge steel on jobs that wont take much stress. Ill certianly agree what was said eariler: Get the MOST of what you can afford

Craigslist is a great place to look for welders: Just be sure it works by having the seller do a small job in front of you

Hit some welding speciifc web sites and start getting in the know on welders

Good luck

Comment

• henrywilliam320
                  • Sep 2021

No process controls heat and produces fine welds like a TIG machine. Whether you call it TIG, Heli-Arc or GTAW, this process is top of the line. This two-handed method is also the most rewarding to master. A TIG machine carries quite a price if you’re unsure what you really need. We waded through a crowd of machines to find the 10 Best Tiny Tig welders.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...