Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dylonwuzhere
    • Dec 2014

80'' Cone Shovel - Open primary options

In the midst of collecting parts for for my cone shovel build and I want go open primary, chain all the way. I'm somewhat green to the whole idea, Ive never worked on or even had a good, up close look at a setup before and I'm just looking for info. I have a stock 1980 FXE swingarm frame, 80'' cone shovel and a '74 ratchet top trans that Ive yet to get put in. I'd like to find a complete setup that I can just bolt and a roll with but I really don't know where to start. If anyone knows of a quality kit or someone holding that would be sweet to know. If thats not an option someone could let me know a good place to start as far as parts and what not. Please and thanks!
  • Jeremy24
    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Dylonwuzhere
    In the midst of collecting parts for for my cone shovel build and I want go open primary, chain all the way. I'm somewhat green to the whole idea, Ive never worked on or even had a good, up close look at a setup before and I'm just looking for info. I have a stock 1980 FXE swingarm frame, 80'' cone shovel and a '74 ratchet top trans that Ive yet to get put in. I'd like to find a complete setup that I can just bolt and a roll with but I really don't know where to start. If anyone knows of a quality kit or someone holding that would be sweet to know. If thats not an option someone could let me know a good place to start as far as parts and what not. Please and thanks!
    depends what kind of money you wanna spend. Bdl has open belt kick only transmissons 1.5-2'' belt for under $325 and a shaft stabilizer to replace where the inner primary is would be about $40. Now if you wanna retain your electric start its gonna be more

Comment

• Sky
      • Aug 2009

Got my first belt drive setup at a swap meet for thirty bucks
      You dont need much if your ditching the starter
      Front pulley and nut, clutch basket, belt, Mainshaft support. Max redux.
      Just make sure the stuff you get is for a cone shovel. And check the length on the mainshaft, someone could have swapped it at some point.
      Most guys want to cover the alternator rotor, and some want some wayto lock down the trans.
      You can cut up a stock inner primary, or run a simple support plate.

Comment

• Motocrash
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Dylonwuzhere
        I want go open primary, chain all the way.
        You talking about open chain primary? If so, there are a lot of folks running them, plenty of info. Most I've seen were 520 or 530 O-ring set ups and on bikes that aren't ridden much. Keep in mind that if you go with a final drive type chain for your primary you're going to have to keep a close eye on it for stretch/wear. You're basically asking it to run at high speed non-stop without a constant oil bath to cool/lube it. Not to mention you'll be flinging chain lube all over places that chain lube doesn't normally flung. I've seen a few bikes with a stock chain primary running open.... rat bikes...
        I thought about a dual chain open primary for my last build but I planned on riding it quite a bit so I went with a BDL 1.5" belt set up. I dig the whine of the belt.

Tech Cycles has a Paul Cox kit for an open chain primary, Big $$$ tho.
        Last edited by Motocrash; 03-18-2017, 9:20 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

There's one for sale in Chop Cult's classifieds.. ^^^

.../// http://www.chopcult.com/panheadfonz/classifieds/138776/ \\\...
          Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Dylonwuzhere
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Sky
            Got my first belt drive setup at a swap meet for thirty bucks
            You dont need much if your ditching the starter
            Front pulley and nut, clutch basket, belt, Mainshaft support. Max redux.
            Just make sure the stuff you get is for a cone shovel. And check the length on the mainshaft, someone could have swapped it at some point.
            Most guys want to cover the alternator rotor, and some want some wayto lock down the trans.
            You can cut up a stock inner primary, or run a simple support plate.
            thanks for the reply. So, I've done some research and learning. I'm going to go belt, not chain. I am ditching the electric start so yeah I need pulley and nut, drum, belt, support, etc. What did you mean by Max redux?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;