X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Josebaum7
    • Mar 2017

Looking for Late 60's - Early 80's Style Scrambler for Project

Hello all!

I am currently searching for a late 60's - early 80's style scrambler for my first project bike. I love the style of this era. I have been doing research over the past few weeks and have created a list of possible candidates. I have attached the list below. If I am missing any bikes on this list that any of you suggest I look into, please leave a comment! All recommendations welcome.
    Attached Files
  • Benny74
    • Sep 2016

Why limit your options to just the "typical" scrambler bikes? Innovation breeds success. Who says an ironhead can't be a scrambler, or a smaller CB? Or a triumph?

Comment

• Josebaum7
      • Mar 2017

No one! Thanks for the suggestion

Comment

• Benny74
        • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Josebaum7
        No one! Thanks for the suggestion
        You're welcome. Ironheads are all over the place for pennies on the dollar, triumphs usually carry a little bit more. I'm sure you could find a cb somewhere, I see them for sale all over craigslist.

Comment

• Cmfnj
          • Oct 2016

Ive had a handful of cb's and kz's and they're a lot of fun. I'm partial to the scrambler look myself. If you're wanting to weld a hoop into the back of the frame for that look the kz400 is much easier than a cb. Cb's have a stamped frame at the rear and makes for a little more work. If you happen to be in or near NC I've got a couple Cb350's in boxes and the better half of a kz400 that I'll let go of cheap. I'm pretty bad to start a project and never finish it. And of course if metric isn't your thing ironhead's are cheap and plentiful right now just a little more bike to throw around.

Comment

• SPUdMurphy
            • Jun 2013

I have recently bought 7 XT500's in various states of completion. I could be interested in selling one/some for the right money as they are.

Ryan

Comment

• seaking
              • Jul 2013

What do you want? My advice with projects is it should be really close to what you want to begin with. Even mids vs. forwards can be expensive, or time consuming to find that part cheap. An ironhead would be cool with a KTM front end or something that can handle the excessive weight. You don't want it to be a turd when you're done. I'd go out and get a cheap dualsport and ride the effin thing.

That said, CMs are cheaper and more plentiful with low milage over a nice CB, and you won't butcher the CB.
              Ironheads are great but heavy. I've seen guys swap over KTM front ends direct to sportsters and they can handle the weight. You're also going to have difficulty with swingarm travel on a sporty, it'd be best to extend the swingarm and have a carrier bushing or whatever on the thing.

Doug Wothke built one and he makes it look simple:

SPOT tracker link; http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=2e1b4de3265776584 I want to visit Magadan & ride the Road of Bones. I could do it like...

Comment

• seaking
                • Jul 2013

Here's the end of the effing build thread. You'll have to go back in the thread to get the deets.

its a federal law. 18" barrel, 26" overall. but that gun was beyond shooting with,, it had been downgraded to a 'club' now part of it is on my...

Attached Files

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;