CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default 103" shovelhead tracker project

The bike is done but I think I have enough photos and a good enough memory to do a revisit if anyone is interested.This is what it all started with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0137.jpg  

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Let's see it

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Benny74 View Post
    Let's see it
    ... Ditto ...

I will do my best with this thread my skills are limited with this forum so please have patience,I stumbled upon this mill by accident.I was looked for some parts for a stock shovel engine I purchased off Craigslist when a friend gave me this dudes phone number,I called it and this grumpy voice answered,I asked about the parts he replied no parts but I got this race engine I would sell.i knew I couldn't afford it but I went and looked at it anyway as I gazed upon this 113" race engine I knew there wasn't a chance in hell I could afford it but I asked the price anyway,as I held my breath he says "I can't let this go for less than 500$" as you can imagine my reply was "I will be back in 20 minutes".with a big ass smile on my face I loaded this beast into my truck and drove home.After a lot of thought I decided on a aluminum swing arm mono shock single down tube oil tank in frame experiments.This is the first few bends done with my harbor freight pipe bender
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0203.jpg   IMG_0200.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm a bit ...

In your first photos show a fin jugs at 103"

Your new photos show a finless Shovel at 113"...

... ??? ...

I know I screwed up with the pics the new pics were actually when I started if you look close at the the first pics posted you will see an almost complete frame in the background,the motor came as 113" but those jugs would not keep cool on the street so I dropped it down to a 103" I couldn't afford 3 13/16 bore cylinder at 1700$ so I got some 3 5/8 bore at 250$

I was gonna talk about the engine build later I guess it doesn't matter now I looked all over,checked eBay called axtell called hyperformance looked for months,I just couldn't find anything 3 13/16 in my budget it hurt bad but I decided to go with 3 5/8 jugs I ordered the jugs and found some k b pistons but after getting the jugs bored for the pistons I test fit everything even with the shortest skirts I could find they still hit the rods with that long ass 5" stroke so some reliefs were cut in the skirts (sorry no pics) I got the skirts to clear the wheels and the rods so with the jugs installed I test fit the heads and you probably guessed it they hit so I took them to the lathe and cut em down

Get Adobe Flash player

I see...
    Kinda a lot of lost space in the case going from 3-13/16" jugs down to 3-5/8" jugs...

So this was my first scratch build and I didn't realize that there was a maximum distance that that tranny could be from the motor if you notice that really nice round bend behind the motor obviously that's wasn't gonna work so this is what I had to do next
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0203.jpg   IMG_0062.jpg  

Next I attached the neck a friend of mine turned for me and finally got to install some forks.Unfortunately these forks didn't work out because the wheels were directional and ment for left hand drive so I had to track down a newer set from a Kawasaki 636 with wheels that aren't directional.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0063.jpg  

Next up was installing a swing arm,I flipped it upside down and shortened it 4",welded some shock mounts on it,the shocks weren't heavy enough so I ended up cutting them off and making it a mono shock later on.at this point,I wasn't sure what to do with the section behind the seat I think this picture makes it look hideous but I think in the end it turned out ok.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0007.jpg   IMG_0005.JPG  

I wanted an aluminum tank and I seen a flat sided hand made tank on a really cool pan in a magazine,I guess that was what I was shooting for.I started by tracing a design I liked on poster board of the side profile,from there I made a bender/roller thingy out of a 4" steel tube to bend the sides.btw someone let me know if they like this thread or am I wasting my time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0061.jpg   IMG_0064.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

quietly watching over here...

After I bent the two sides I made a pattern for the top, bottom,and inside panels.And tried my hand at mig welding aluminum,this was a real challenge and started out pretty rough but with a grinder and belt sander even an amateur can make something acceptable,somewhere in between finishing up the tank and frame I managed to weld up an aluminum rear cowl that attached under the frame,and a seat pan was welded up as well,since the tanks were close to being finished I could now bend the upper frame rail that attached to the neck and center frame tube, it was tacked in place,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0090.jpg   IMG_0026.JPG  

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm digging the thread...

But kinda wondering about that finless motor... Seems to me I would want to stay in the saddle longer than a 1/4 mile ???
    Last edited by Dragstews; 03-17-2017 at 4:38 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

When you decide you want the big jugs with fins, call Ron Trock (jr.) at 847-683-4010 afternoons and evenings Chicago time.

He still makes all the big stuff his dad did.

Yea I want the big jugs I actually talked to trock awhile back axtell,trock and hyperformance all make them they're just really expensive I will get a set someday.its not finless anymore these are early pics if you look at the very 1st pic that's what the motor looks like now I got the picture out of order
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0137.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

cool build.i like that you re-used the zx parts,i've modded many of those arms for kz1000's.

keep them pics comin,

leon

So I was thinking it was time to get this thing off the table and check out the suspension,so I found some tires that would fit,in a trash pile at the bike shop.arond this time I was messing around with the belt drive to see if it would bolt up to a shovel,and yes it bolted up perfectly.sorry for upside down pictures???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0025.jpg   IMG_0027.JPG   IMG_0041.jpg   IMG_0044.jpg  

I found out the shocks weren't gonna support the weight of the bike with me on it so I got a mono shock off a Yamaha r1 and order the heaviest spring they make and made a bracket to bolt to the swing arm and also welded new tabs to the frame once mounted this new shock was just right.The welds are still a little ruff most of the frame is just tacked at this point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0043.JPG   IMG_0042.JPG  

Share This