CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default How to title my bike

I got a 2003 HD night train engine and transmission that I want to build a bike with I do not know the VIN number of the bike these came out of and the guy I got them from has passed away
    What I need help with is what do I need to do to title and register this bike in the state of texas
    Has anyone done this in Texas?

Can't help you with tilting, but the VIN should be stamped in the motor. My guess is, you'll have to get what we in CA call a "special construction" title, because an MC these days is titled by the frame, not the motor.

Thanks I'm looking for someone in Texas who has actually done this if you know or hear of anyone I'd appreciate any advice they have all that's on the motor is a partial vin

I don't know about how they do it in Texas but I have got two assembled titles in Indiana,I would start by going to the BMV they should have forms to start the process.You will probably have to list all parts used on hand and and show receipts for parts you bought and the vin on the frame and motor will need to be checked by the police,the officer will then sign off on the paperwork so you can apply for a new vin number.once you receive your new vin you will perminantly stamp it into the frame of your build,then it will have to be inspected by the police once approved he will sign off on the request for tittle paper,this paper will need to be taken to the BMV and taxes will be charged for all receipts and prices paid for all assembly parts.It sounds like a terribly long process but it's not as bad as it sounds.hope this helps

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I think you will have your work cut out for you. Having a motor with a vin, no title, no bill of sale and deceased previous owner is bad enough but a motor with part of the vin missing? Is part of it ground off or damaged or what? Some states will impound stuff like that until you get it sorted out. You'll probably need a surety bond.

Get Adobe Flash player

The easiest thing to do in your situation is to get a surrogate title. You can go and buy any pile of junk motorcycle that has a title and transplant that vin onto your new frame and then grind the old frame vin off. The BMV will not care if your engine vin doesn't match frame vin. They only care that frame vin matches title vin. Insurance companies won't care either BUT if your title says 1970 Chineese Cheepo that is what your coverage is based on unless you expand the policy to include all of the extra stuff you've done which will drive up your monthly premium.

If I were you I would be calling every local junk yard asking for a period correct sportster chassis and title combo. Avoid buying one from another state because it is easier to just deal with same state title transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by pantspisser View Post
    and then grind the old frame vin off.
    This is a federal offence as I understand and some of the dumbest advice ever on the site. Do NOT do this.

You could look into buying a frame with title that the motor and tranny fits into and going from there which will be the easiest way. If that dont work for you getting a frame built around the neck and title of a frame is another option that is often used.

Other than that SPCN or Assembled??

BEST advice is go engage your DMV at least then you know what you are up against.

Either way you will be spending a LOT more than buying a complete ready to go bike unless you are good at fab etc.
    Last edited by panheadpete; 03-12-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Jrtwincam View Post
    I got a 2003 HD night train engine and transmission that I want to build a bike with I do not know the VIN number of the bike these came out of and the guy I got them from has passed away
    What I need help with is what do I need to do to title and register this bike in the state of texas
    Has anyone done this in Texas?
    Theres some people in Maine that do this and I don't know names. Maine is a no title state, so they will buy your bike, have the VIN that's on it registered in Maine. Maine will them print them a plate. They sell you the bike back with the plate and registration from Maine, plus a bill of sale. You then take it to your state have it inspected and your state will print you a title.

Get Adobe Flash player

grinding number and stamping new ones is a bad idea. Harley had little things they did through the years with the VINs to prevent new stamping, turning numbers etc.. Perfect example I know someone that ground a frame down and had someone stamp it to match the motor. Just so happened a cop stopped him and looked the bike over, also happened to be into vintage bikes. New it was fishy and impounded the bike. Long story short, said guy went through a whole long court case and spent a lot of money to get the bike back, only to be told by the sheriff that every time he sees this back on the road he will impound it. Bike has been parked since... no its not me haha

Get Adobe Flash player

In KY and a lot of other states, we apply for a builders title and show proof of x, y, z like someone else said

Get Adobe Flash player

Buddy had his bike impounded. It was wrecked, dealer ordered new frame and installed it. Dealer didn't keep up with old frame and someone cut the neck off and built a bike. DMV impounded both bikes until it was sorted out.

Get Adobe Flash player

look on here for the thread about titling bikes through Virginia (i think that's the state). your motor might be too new.. i forget how old it had to be. maybe 15 years.

Get Adobe Flash player

Craigore, isn't there like 50 threads on this exact question (lol)? I do not understand why people do not do their homework before just buying a pile of parts..... especially a motor with a partial Vin. At least you are only out a motor and not a whole bike that you cant title.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've done it. At the time I did it Texas made provisions for older motorcycles under the unique vehicles section. They don't do that anymore. You will probably need to apply for a Rebuilt/Reconstructed Title since Texas changed . They allow motorcycles to register by the year of the frame and not by the year assembled. The bike will have to meet all Texas inspection motorcycle requirements. You will need to go to the TXDPS and get the forms and requirements. Good luck!

Share This