CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Mini drum on repop HD springer

Looking for some sage advice from you old timers that have done this before. I'm running a repop HD springer and a (non HD) mini drum up front. Looking for ways to mount this without having something big and ugly hanging off the front of the bike and without binding up my brake and destroying the travel of my springer.

My first thought would be to run a piece of flat stock parallel to the front legs and then perpendicular to the mounting tab on the rear leg, but I'm afraid that that will cause my brake to wander and I will be left up shit creek when I go to grab some brake. I know I could eradicate this entire problem by running a disc brake, but that's my absolute last resort. Someone has to have done this before. Bestow some wisdom on me, please!

Get Adobe Flash player

The pictures are a little hard to see and I don't know why they came out sideways, but the mounting location on the drum is right next to the cable locator. I will get some better pictures after I get out of class

Get Adobe Flash player

I had a similar drum set up. Honestly the brake did absolutely nothing. It was only good as "hill stopper". I had read it a million times on forums that the mini drum was for looks only but I went ahead and set it up. Just a heads up before investing time and money.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    I had a similar drum set up. Honestly the brake did absolutely nothing. It was only good as "hill stopper". I had read it a million times on forums that the mini drum was for looks only but I went ahead and set it up. Just a heads up before investing time and money.
    Yeah I know, that's all I'm planning on having it used as anyway, but I'd rather have that insurance than nothing ya know? How did you have it set up so that the brake didn't wander in the hub?

EDIT: I also got this front wheel and brake setup for free, so money isn't an issue on making this work
    Last edited by Benny74; 03-06-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Try to keep the bar parallel with the rockers.
    Just make sure that your linkage will not "flop" when rolled backwards.
    Seen it too many times. And if it's supposed to hold you on a hill?
    And keep in mind that the front end compresses when slowing down...
    Maybe a curved wrench could work for ya?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    Try to keep the bar parallel with the rockers.
    Just make sure that your linkage will not "flop" when rolled backwards.
    Seen it too many times. And if it's supposed to hold you on a hill?
    And keep in mind that the front end compresses when slowing down...
    Maybe a curved wrench could work for ya?
    So something like this should work, as long as the top bolt isn't completely torqued down and is allowed to move, correct?

Get Adobe Flash player

Anybody got any input on that design? I think it should work but I also don't wanna play the "i think" game when I go to get a fist full of brake

Get Adobe Flash player

A fist full of brake is going to slightly slow you down. You'll be better off dragging your feet. Put a real brake on or go without. I've gone without for many years, but ride accordingly.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ncmc47 View Post
    A fist full of brake is going to slightly slow you down. You'll be better off dragging your feet. Put a real brake on or go without. I've gone without for many years, but ride accordingly.
    I know that a mini drum is mainly an aesthetic/hill stopper application, and thats what I'm looking for. Regardless, if it isn't anchored in the correct spot and binds up, it's going to make for a very unpleasant day.

All I'm asking is if that setup will work correctly, mainly from guys who have run a mini drum on an HD or repop springer

I don't see the need to have that harsh 90degree bend in the brake shackle. why not just run it diagonally like a normal springer drum brake?
    i'd also consider having some bushings at the anchor points so your shackle doesn't seize on ya.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BoulevardTrash View Post
    I don't see the need to have that harsh 90degree bend in the brake shackle. why not just run it diagonally like a normal springer drum brake?
    i'd also consider having some bushings at the anchor points so your shackle doesn't seize on ya.

I'll give this a shot, the only thing that worries me about this design is that my brake stay on the rear legs is much higher than this, and Im concerned about jamming it up. Its worth a shot though, I dont really see any other way to anchor it

Get Adobe Flash player

i bought a new mini drum last year and it came w/ a peice of steel to tuse as a brake stay. i aint gonna do that.
    i dont have a pic handy, but i would mount it w/ a threaded rod and heim joints on either end(w/ jamb nuts of course).
    it'll be adjustable and the stay can move w/ the rockers.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by beat View Post
    i bought a new mini drum last year and it came w/ a peice of steel to tuse as a brake stay. i aint gonna do that.
    i dont have a pic handy, but i would mount it w/ a threaded rod and heim joints on either end(w/ jamb nuts of course).
    it'll be adjustable and the stay can move w/ the rockers.
    Thats a good idea, I never thought of using heim joints. I think thats what Im gonna try to do

Get Adobe Flash player

as long as the top bolt isn't completely torqued down
    Use a shoulder bolt instead. You can buy them online. Alternate option, a bolt and bushing but shoulder bolts exist for good reason.

Relying on an unsecured fastener to hold a brake arm is begging for a pavement facial.

All-metal locknuts are your friends too. Military surplus Heim joints are dirt cheap on Ebay. You can use two standard thread ends since your rod will likely be custom length and most people don't have left-hand thread dies.

A brake that can't stop you is one thing, but a self-disassembling brake that stops you by surprise is another.

With that braking combo I'd cruise rather leisurely. As Easyriders put it many moons ago, "putt, don't jam".

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Use a shoulder bolt instead. You can buy them online. Alternate option, a bolt and bushing but shoulder bolts exist for good reason.

Relying on an unsecured fastener to hold a brake arm is begging for a pavement facial.

All-metal locknuts are your friends too. Military surplus Heim joints are dirt cheap on Ebay. You can use two standard thread ends since your rod will likely be custom length and most people don't have left-hand thread dies.

A brake that can't stop you is one thing, but a self-disassembling brake that stops you by surprise is another.

With that braking combo I'd cruise rather leisurely. As Easyriders put it many moons ago, "putt, don't jam".
    Thanks for all the input guys, this bike definitely isn't a speed freak, I have my stroker for that. Ended up doing something like Beat and BoulevardTrash had suggested, threaded some rod into heim joints and spaced it with some steel spacers. I will probably pick up some shoulder bolts for the heim joints but for now this is what I'm working with

Last edited by Benny74; 03-08-2017 at 5:07 PM.

Share This