CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Thread: Rat Bike

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Rat Bike

OK, so i havent posted in quite a while. Taking my bike the Rat route. looking for ideas and others pics of their rusted out rat bikes.

heres what i did so far. Rear chopped steel fender/ and a vert plate coming and will be rusted out as will a front fender.....or no fender at all??? i

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	302.7 KB 
ID:	75482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	298.9 KB 
ID:	75483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike4.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	306.3 KB 
ID:	75484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	75485
    Last edited by gaspasser; 03-03-2017 at 4:04 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

First thing I would do would be get rid of that rust and just brush the metal raw. Keeping that degree of rust on there is just going to have you running into problems down the road eating through and making the metal weaker, not to mention anytime you touch it you're going to have rust stains everywhere.

I think it looks completely out of place. A rat bike is more than just a rusted tank and air cleaner cover, especially when everything else is in such great shape.

Get Adobe Flash player

cant fake the rat look IMO. but.. .if you want to try... take a can of BBQ black spray paint to the motor, duct tape on the seat. no turn signals, no speedo. wrap the pipes. custom parts (hand-made). your bike is really clean and shiny.

Get Adobe Flash player

a rat bike was a bike that you would keep on the road anyway possible mechanics wire holding the exhaust on shitty paint from dropping it crud grease dents from dropping it while drunk, fix it with what ever was around.
    dented exhaust shit just busted on it.
    I dont get this shit people do now and call rat bikes...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Benny74 View Post
    First thing I would do would be get rid of that rust and just brush the metal raw. Keeping that degree of rust on there is just going to have you running into problems down the road eating through and making the metal weaker, not to mention anytime you touch it you're going to have rust stains everywhere.

I think it looks completely out of place. A rat bike is more than just a rusted tank and air cleaner cover, especially when everything else is in such great shape.
    well, i have a rear chopped fender which goes on next which will be rusted as well as a front one. its a work in progress and i just started this. i think i mentioned i wasnt stopping at the tank and air cleaner.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Davestune View Post
    a rat bike was a bike that you would keep on the road anyway possible mechanics wire holding the exhaust on shitty paint from dropping it crud grease dents from dropping it while drunk, fix it with what ever was around.
    dented exhaust shit just busted on it.
    I dont get this shit people do now and call rat bikes...
    sorry if my shit isnt real enough for you...i'll try harder

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by gaspasser View Post
    You can't get upset when you put your bike on a public forum and ask for opinions...

For me a rat bike is something thats kept outside, has wear and tear and is held together by any means possible. Rusting out your tins purposely and chopping the rear fender isn't really a rat bike, its just a rusty, new bike. I think the whole faux patina thing is just trying to make a bike into something it isn't. If you wanna do a stripped down look that'd probably be more appropriate, but that bike has years and years before it fits the "rat bike" look.

Get Adobe Flash player

purposefully letting something rust is retarded, its like cutting holes in new jeans. whatever though, your bike. post pics.

Get Adobe Flash player

proper "Rat Bike"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rat.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	75516

Get Adobe Flash player

a "rat" bike, originally referred to a scoot that never has any cosmetic maintenance and, over time, began to sprout a collection of road debris that was often glued on, taped on or wired on.

lately, I think the term is evolving to be more inclusive of machines that have a "rat style", i.e unfinished metal, tarnished chome, etc. But they do not necessarily have to have a buncha road kill hanging from it.

peeps call machines i build "rat" - but they're not. they are more along the lines of Pennsyltucky Wabi-Sabi:

Get Adobe Flash player

You want some street cred, sand down all that chrome and rattlecan it black. That's what I basically did with a Sporty ten years ago. Unbolted and cut off everything I possibly could, and rattlecanned everything else black. Even cut the rear fender struts, slapped a seat pan and Indian Larry tank on it. Let the tank oxidize for a week, then clear coated it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Or sell your nice efi sportster and buy an old ratty bike.... I will never understand why people just completely trash nice bikes.... You asked opinions, and mine is that a rusty tank looks like shit on a leak free motor with chrome pipes and a perfect seat, blinkers, etc. You're not fooling anyone but yourself. That is constructive criticism for the record.

Get Adobe Flash player

its got a mikuni if thats what youre referring to as EFI....plus if my garage floor is any indicator its not leak free

i guess a poster above described it better as a "rat style" bike which is what its evolving into. nothing on this bike is original...ive done all the work myself except for the internal engine stuff. im tired of looking at black on black on black. i have the ability to do whatever i want to this thing and undo if i want one day. as of now im enjoying this. and it seems people just look at the pics and dont read much. i have a chopped rear fender which goes on next along with a vert plate and steel front fender ill use in place of the fiberglass one thats on there now.....of course...rust
    Last edited by gaspasser; 03-06-2017 at 6:00 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

If I was you, I would go to swap meets and buy parts that are in shit condition and swap them out for the stuff on your bike if you want it to look like shit and that you rode it a million miles. Otherwise don't take care of it and come back in 20 years and it might be what your looking for. Just my opinion, but orange rust caused by vinegar and peroxide or whatever you used to force it, looks like just that; fake and stupid. You cannot create the look of real rust patina with anything but time. I love rusty and crusty, but hate it when it's forced and fake; and you can tell the difference.

You'd be better off just riding Around in the rain and never washing it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by WinstonWolf View Post
    If I was you, I would go to swap meets and buy parts that are in shit condition and swap them out for the stuff on your bike if you want it to look like shit and that you rode it a million miles. Otherwise don't take care of it and come back in 20 years and it might be what your looking for. Just my opinion, but orange rust caused by vinegar and peroxide or whatever you used to force it, looks like just that; fake and stupid. You cannot create the look of real rust patina with anything but time. I love rusty and crusty, but hate it when it's forced and fake; and you can tell the difference.

You'd be better off just riding Around in the rain and never washing it.
    I agree with everything he said. If you want a true rat bike, Id sell that sporty and pick up something older that actually suits it. This just looks too forced and the rust and everything else looks out of place with the nice chrome and powdered frame.

Get Adobe Flash player

You can NOT build a rat bike---the rust and dust,dirt and grime,oil and gas stains,weathered paint, etc.must be earned not
    bought---it is earned through many miles and years on the road---faking rust an patina is just bullshit and makes the bike
    look like shit---IMO---but it is your bike so make it your way.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by nofendertom View Post
    You can NOT build a rat bike---the rust and dust,dirt and grime,oil and gas stains,weathered paint, etc.must be earned not
    bought---it is earned through many miles and years on the road---faking rust an patina is just bullshit and makes the bike
    look like shit---IMO---but it is your bike so make it your way.
    you said it better than me even though i meen teh same.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by gaspasser View Post
    u aint got to try for me man, its your bike do what you want to it

Share This