Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POSFXR
    • Feb 2016

Baker transmission install

I need some direction. I installed a Baker DD5 builder's kit in a 1987 fxr, and now it won't fully shift. I set the shifter pawl in 3rd and was able to downshift to neutral, but now the pawl won't rotate the shifter drum enough to make it out of neutral. I can get into 1st or 2nd if I manually rotate the drum, but then the shift lever will only get it back into neutral again. This is my first build, so any advice would help.
  • Sky
    • Aug 2009

First thing I'd do is call Baker...

How much is included in Baker's kit? Using thier drum?
    How about a link to the install instructions for us?

Comment

• Tgreco
      • Aug 2015

Baker DD5 install

Originally posted by Sky
      First thing I'd do is call Baker...

How much is included in Baker's kit? Using thier drum?
      How about a link to the install instructions for us?
      I am going with you Sky, call Baker Drivetrain, they will talk and walk you through it. First class American company who wants us to succeed.

Comment

• decman
        • Feb 2017

Did you do the pawl adjustment?
        The stop for the pawl is adjustable and is critical for a shifting issue like yours.
        It's also kind of a pain since you have to have the primary off to do it.

You can see a pic in this article

What could be better, than to ride to an event and have the gods of the industry make the mods to your machine right before you very eyes. The Baker crew came up with the plan, to start installing American Make Baker components at major events all over the country. We have the story, the tips, and the info to make it all a breeze.

9th photo down.

Comment

• POSFXR
          • Feb 2016

Just an update... Baker says the pawl won't rotate the drum all the way to the next gear without rotating the shaft. That doesn't make sense to me how it would get into 1st from N since you're not moving, but I guess that's why I'm not designing transmissions. I'll finish the bike and hope it works like it should

Comment

• RichardS
            • Jun 2015

POSFXR,
            Baker is correct.......when you bike is running, the Transmission mainshaft is turning....which allows the gears to move into the "slots". When the bike is not running, the gears may or may not be lined up to allow the gears to move into the "slots".

Comment

• jsaz666
              • Mar 2015

Just to co-sign, Baker is a fantastic company that stands behind their shit! I have had issues, and usually after one phone call and me feeling like a dumbass for a minute or two, problem solved. These guys know their shit!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;