Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScubaSheen
    • Dec 2016

So I'm about to finish up my last semester before the summer, so now I can start getting down to business.

I'm having a slight bit of trouble spacing my rear wheel, I set up the spacers exactly how they were on my swingarm frame, the problem is that since the swingarm is thicker it pretty much acted as a spacer, and now I have a bunch of extra axle sticking out. Is best way to remedy this to put more spacers on the axle outside of the frame? Or should I get a new axle? Also I think the rear end on this hardtail might be slightly wider than the swingarm. Here are some pictures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0699.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	1296104

Name:	IMG_0700.jpg
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	1296105

Name:	IMG_0701.jpg
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	1296106

Name:	IMG_0702.jpg
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	1296107

Comment

• ScubaSheen
      • Dec 2016

here is the swingarm in comparison to the hardtail

Name:	IMG_0705.jpg
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	1296108

Name:	IMG_0706.jpg
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	1296109

Comment

• BHMike
        • May 2013

Looking good so far, keep up the good work. Excited to see if finished

Comment

• TheHumbleWelder
          • Apr 2017

Looking boss! Can't wait to see the finished bike!

Comment

• FooDog
            • Feb 2014

On the axle spacing deal....you don't have your axle adjusters installed in the pic....that should scoop up a bunch of axle meat.

Comment

• pantspisser
              • Jul 2014

Good catch foodog. He's right and your axle is probably the correct length as is, just need the tensioners installed n fabbed. Good looking build so far man.

Comment

• ScubaSheen
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by FooDog
                On the axle spacing deal....you don't have your axle adjusters installed in the pic....that should scoop up a bunch of axle meat.
                oh shoot I forgot about those thanks guys.

Comment

• ScubaSheen
                  • Dec 2016

While I'm waiting on some spacers to be machined, I welded up my top motor mount.

Name:	IMG_0707.jpg
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	1296434

Name:	IMG_0708.jpg
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	1296435Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0707.jpg
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	1296434

Comment

• ScubaSheen
                    • Dec 2016

Process of mounting and trimming fender

Name:	IMG_0709.jpg
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	1296485

Also recently I figured out that the guy that sold me the 33.4mm front end sold me it with 35mm trees, I have some spacers that make the front end work but now the top caps poke and I don't like how it looks. Let me know if any of you guys have 33.4mm trees that will work with a 1in stem!
                    Last edited by ScubaSheen; 05-07-2017, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• pantspisser
                      • Jul 2014

Man your fender and seat are looking extremely well fitted. As I'm sure you've already figured out that takes a great deal of time and attention to detail to pull off and you nailed it. I must have fumbled with that process for weeks on my first build and still didn't get that clean of a look, nice work. My only word of caution is make sure you have a fair bit of gap between that tire and fender. From the picture it looks like you're good to go but it's worth an extra glance. Our tires do get taller once they are spinning at highway speeds. I think the rule of thumb is 1" someone may have better advice on the exact number. Even still more is better. You may choose a different tire down the road that despite being the same sticker size actually measures taller. If you're going to tuck you're tail light wiring under the fender more gap is your friend. You could go an extra step further and tak a nice small little piece of pipe on the under side of the fender to pass the wires inside of in liue of janky tape or adele clamps. Just food for thought man, these are all things I learned the hard way after paint which caused tons of frustration.

Oh also it's obvious you're good at using an angel grinder so instead of waiting on a lathe to get axle spacers cut most of us just keep a small amount of axle spacer stock on hand and just cut and finish to size with our grinders at home as needed. Makes things quicker for next time.

Killer stuff though, thanks for keeping the thread alive because this thing is starting to look like a rad bike.

Comment

• Afterburner
                        • Aug 2016

Looking good so far!

Seeing the engine and removed cam cover pics,
                        Did you get the cam cover back on easy?

Don't want to be a nitpicker ,but for doing this a next time it's better to first remove one or both rocker assemblies to release tension from the cams/cam bushings!
                        Less change on cam bushing damage and easier installing the cover back on.
                        Also did you have a look at the oilpump drive gear for how worn out it already is?

Comment

• ScubaSheen
                          • Dec 2016

I mounted everything loosely for the rear end the other day after I mounted and trimmed the fender

Name:	IMG_0711.jpg
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	1296528

Name:	IMG_0712.jpg
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	1296529

Name:	IMG_0713.jpg
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	1296530

Name:	IMG_0716.jpg
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	1296531

Comment

• ScubaSheen
                            • Dec 2016

Heres the deal with the front end, the guy I bought it from didn't tell me that they were 35mm trees. whether he knew it or not (I'm sure he did) now I'm stuck with them and my machinist made me some spacers for the top tree that will make the front end runnable, but I don't really like how they protrude from the top tree.

Name:	IMG_0714.jpg
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	1296532

Name:	IMG_0715.jpg
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	1296533

I haven't gotten a chance to put on my 6 over tubes yet or mount the tire. As for the spacers, I think I'm gonna sell these 35mm trees and buy some Vtwin manufacturing 33.4mm FX trees and fit them on, I would rather buy used but I can't seem to find any 33.4mm trees that will accept a 1in stem. I guess harley only made em with a 1in stem for 2 years or something like that? If you have any leads on 33.4mm trees let me know!
                            Last edited by ScubaSheen; 05-10-2017, 1:21 PM.

Comment

• ScubaSheen
                              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by pantspisser
                              Man your fender and seat are looking extremely well fitted. As I'm sure you've already figured out that takes a great deal of time and attention to detail to pull off and you nailed it. I must have fumbled with that process for weeks on my first build and still didn't get that clean of a look, nice work. My only word of caution is make sure you have a fair bit of gap between that tire and fender. From the picture it looks like you're good to go but it's worth an extra glance. Our tires do get taller once they are spinning at highway speeds. I think the rule of thumb is 1" someone may have better advice on the exact number. Even still more is better. You may choose a different tire down the road that despite being the same sticker size actually measures taller. If you're going to tuck you're tail light wiring under the fender more gap is your friend. You could go an extra step further and tak a nice small little piece of pipe on the under side of the fender to pass the wires inside of in liue of janky tape or adele clamps. Just food for thought man, these are all things I learned the hard way after paint which caused tons of frustration.

Oh also it's obvious you're good at using an angel grinder so instead of waiting on a lathe to get axle spacers cut most of us just keep a small amount of axle spacer stock on hand and just cut and finish to size with our grinders at home as needed. Makes things quicker for next time.

Killer stuff though, thanks for keeping the thread alive because this thing is starting to look like a rad bike.
                              Thanks for the advice! and as for the tailight wiring I planned to run it on top of the fender but under the seat.

Comment

• ScubaSheen
                                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Afterburner
                                Looking good so far!

Seeing the engine and removed cam cover pics,
                                Did you get the cam cover back on easy?

Don't want to be a nitpicker ,but for doing this a next time it's better to first remove one or both rocker assemblies to release tension from the cams/cam bushings!
                                Less change on cam bushing damage and easier installing the cover back on.
                                Also did you have a look at the oilpump drive gear for how worn out it already is?
                                I have yet to put the cam cover back on yet, I'm waiting on the gasket to come in. And I checked all the gears for damaged teeth and whatnot but nothing too in depth, Its probably a good idea to do a more detailed check and see if anything is damaged.
                                Last edited by ScubaSheen; 05-10-2017, 1:11 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;