Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fings369
    • Oct 2016

1989 FXSTC Tranny leak

Well I'm posting this in here in hopes someone will help me figure out A) what I did wrong and B) what I should do next time (hopefully very soon).

So I recently replaced the Transmission main shaft seal and the small quad seal. It was definitely leaking from behind the seal as it did a mini waterfall once I pulled the Stock Pulley. I did not use a seal installer to stick it in the .05" that's suggested. First is this my problem? because I'll order it and see if I can keep the old seal or use it anyway for the next seal. someone mentioned this mystery 5th gear seal. I don't know what that is or where it is, supposedly could be my problem. Not sure.

So it's a bones stock bike except the bars and a few beauty marks. where do I go next, I can order georges mainshaft seal tool and hope it comes in friday. This is my only mode of transport.
  • Fings369
    • Oct 2016

So on another forum I've been told to swap out the pulley/sprocket spacer, still unsure of this 5th gear seal. 16 views c'mon somebody chime in....

Comment

• Sky
      • Aug 2009

Of course it waterfalled, that's below the fluid level, and without the pulley nut holding things together...
      Never install a rubber seal dry, grease 'em

You've got four seals under there.
      I'll list them from largest to smallest;
      Transmission Seal, install this one with pully-spacer installed so as not to knock the ring-spring out the inner lip.
      If the pulley-spacer is scored where it contacts said seal, polish or replace. You can almost install this one by hand.
      There are several combinations of trans-seal to pulley-spacer acording to aplication. Get the right stufff.
      Quad Seal, don't forget this goes under the pulley-spacer, grease it well. Don't twist it.
      MGD or main-drive-gear seal. There are three very similar MGD seals that cover the five speed years, get the right one. Best installed with the propper tool against an undamaged main-shaft.
      I have seen the MDG-bearing cage walk out and trash this seal so make sure that bearing cage is deep enough to not contact the lip of the MDG-seal.
      Shifter-shaft seal, There are single and double lipped seals available. The double ones tend to fold over when installed. Some people wrap celophane or "Scotch" tape around the shift shaft to help slide the new seal over the splines. Drive on with a deep well socket. I glue the shaft washer on with "gasket maker" silicone, then snapring in place.
      The adjuster screw is usually fine. But if disturbed, pipe dope or teflon tape should be used on the threads.
      Some people like to apply silicone to the counter-shaft-bearing cup. But thats a holdover form working with four speeds.

James Gaskets are go!
      Almost forgot to add...
      Make sure the trans can breathe and dont over fill. Five speeds don't take a whole quart.
      Last edited by Sky; 02-08-2017, 11:31 AM. Reason: Thought of more stuff

Comment

• Fings369
        • Oct 2016

Thank you!!!!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;