CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Amputated right leg above knee

A cheap simple way to use rear brake. Ie; brake control lever, or dual brake levers. All ideas or places to go would be A lot of help

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Seen this the other day when I was looking for dual control info. mtb-amputee@mtb-amputee.com

Get Adobe Flash player

If it's got a ratchet style shifter Shift it with a pushbutton operated solenoid and move the brake to the left. It'll sure fuck up anybody else that crawls on it. I bought a 741 Indian that had a foot clutch and both brakes on the bars one on each side. So I suspect it belonged to somebody with right leg problems. It took a little getting used to.
    Dusty

any chance you could use an 11/16 master on the handlebars and work a front and rear disc brake at the same time??? good luck, man

Get Adobe Flash player

Front and rear from the master cylinder on the bars would work with a proportioning valve. You can get them from hot rod places. Also, look up and talk to Dave Barr. Vietnam vet who is a double amputee and rode his shovelhead around the world back in the 70's or 80's. Very cool guy, and very down to earth. Last I met and talked to him, he was riding a Buell Ulysees (with no special controls or adaptation whatsoever.)

Get Adobe Flash player

On one of my lsr bikes I ran a snowmobile master on the left side fit the rear brake with the clutch below it

Get Adobe Flash player

One thing to keep in mind with running both brakes off one lever/master is emergency braking and slippery/loose conditions

running a regular toe shift with some kind of heel brake could be cool

Get Adobe Flash player

Couldn't you do a clutchless shift? This would free up that lever for a rear brake. Works just like the auto-clutch Honda makes on some of their ATV's. It's centrifugal I guess. I forget the name of company who makes it for motorcycles,...anyone?

Edit...
    I think this it is http://efmautoclutch.com/

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by mrhammer2u View Post
    Couldn't you do a clutchless shift? This would free up that lever for a rear brake. Works just like the auto-clutch Honda makes on some of their ATV's. It's centrifugal I guess. I forget the name of company who makes it for motorcycles,...anyone?

Edit...
    I think this it is http://efmautoclutch.com/
    I think you're talking about Rekluse clutches, but as far as I know, they still incorporate a hand clutch for manual clutching.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Benny74 View Post
    I think you're talking about Rekluse clutches, but as far as I know, they still incorporate a hand clutch for manual clutching.
    The Rekluse looks to be the same function as the EFM. They do recommend keeping your clutch lever. I guess if the unit fails you have the clutch lever as back up. Not sure if that's one of those disclaimers to save face or an indication these things fail often enough...??

Get Adobe Flash player

Why not just buy a newer (late 15 up) glide? They have synced braking, just use the front and the rear will be there when you need it.

One of my buddies can't use his right leg. He does jockey shift with a brake lever on either side. He's also on a trike, though. He's building a bagger with a sidecar and is planning on running a 3/4 MC with a proportioning valve for the brakes.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by mrhammer2u View Post
    The Rekluse looks to be the same function as the EFM. They do recommend keeping your clutch lever. I guess if the unit fails you have the clutch lever as back up. Not sure if that's one of those disclaimers to save face or an indication these things fail often enough...??
    I know quite a few people who use them on their dirt bikes, especially those who woods race, its a nice thing to have incase you have a clutch mishap and are in a situation that would normally kill a bike. As far as durability, I haven't heard of any failures, which is good news, because something like that would sure to make its rounds.
    Plus, there are times where feathering the clutch is more favorable than running clutchless

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Misterfred View Post
    A cheap simple way to use rear brake. Ie; brake control lever, or dual brake levers. All ideas or places to go would be A lot of help
    I run my front brake line into a wilwood distrubution/proportion valve which then splits to the front and rear brake and i can adjust brake power where i want it to go. it works really well. it wasnt exactly cheap i think i have a little over $200 in it but thats nothing compared to the 2k they want on disabled rider for a dual lever master. let me know if you want more details

Get Adobe Flash player

Pics would be cool in case others have to help an ampbro or themselves.

There are lots of OEM linked brake setups, but the proportioning valve method is proven and simple. Wilwood makes some that incorporate a brake light switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Wilwood-260-1.../dp/B003LT619Q

Copper-nickel brake line doesn't rust, bends nicely and looks good. Use the most hard line you can to reduce lever travel and for any flex lines I'd use braided stainless. I get most of my stainless off Ebay, and prefer the lines with plain ends so I can screw on any 45 or 90 degree banjo fittings as needed. That makes figuring new shit out easier than buying single-piece lines.

Example: http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...11534/10002/-1

Get Adobe Flash player

thats the exact valve i used farmall. Ill post some pics i have on my phone.

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160719_204122.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	294.9 KB 
ID:	75349Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160719_204127.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	295.5 KB 
ID:	75350Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160719_204457.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	297.7 KB 
ID:	75351Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160720_182139.jpg 
Size:	296.0 KB 
ID:	75352Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160720_182146.jpg 
Size:	296.1 KB 
ID:	75353
    http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/sniper...line-12ft.html
    http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/sniper...e-adapter.html
    http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/sniper...banjo-3-8.html
    here is the stuff I used in my brake setup. i used the goodridge sniper brake lines and fittings because the line is really flexible and you can put the ends on without any special tools. you can see in the pic i was able to run the line under the front master cylinder and through my bars. the line goes down and is run into a junction and split into two lines i bent and then ran into the proportion/distrubution valve which i placed under my battery box. there is three outputs on the valve so i plugged one with a brass inverted flared plug and the output with the adjustment valve goes to the front and the other to the rear. it works really well and i'm very happy with it! it wasnt the easiest system to bleed though.

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice! I like how you ran the lines and where you located the valve.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Nice! I like how you ran the lines and where you located the valve.
    Thanks! It came together real nice. I just wish there was a way to have the lines ran individually from one master so if I lost front and still have rear or vice versa without having to spend a couple grand.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a buddy who is paralyzed from the waist down. He rides his side hack Shovel with a linked braking system run through some sort of proportioning valve and it works great.

Share This