CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
    SamHain

Default Shovel fxr primary chains and gearing

82 fxr.
    Had the bright idea to replace my failing 24t compensator sprocket with a bdl 25t. Now the 76 pin primary chain is too short, anyone toyed around with this? Will an 82pin chain work? Too long or bad combination with the 37 clutch basket? are the evo 36t baskets compatible?

Can only fit a damn 22 on the trans, I need waaaay more gearing. But mostly to put it back together.

SamHain

Baker suggests 25/37 doesn't work. Looks like I'll be trying to swap for a 24

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah man it's a good rule to keep primary ratios relatively stock if you go 25t you need a 36t clutch basket. They made 36t from 94-99 I believe. They are interchangeable you can also use your clutch pack but you also have to change your starter jack shaft. The main differences are the starter ring gear... earlier years had 66 teeth. So yeah just get the 24t comp sprocket and save yourself the headaches.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by CraiGORE View Post
    Yeah man it's a good rule to keep primary ratios relatively stock if you go 25t you need a 36t clutch basket. They made 36t from 94-99 I believe. They are interchangeable you can also use your clutch pack but you also have to change your starter jack shaft. The main differences are the starter ring gear... earlier years had 66 teeth. So yeah just get the 24t comp sprocket and save yourself the headaches.
    Ps is an 82 a chain drive? Can't you just mess around with rear sprocket sizes to tweak your final drive ratio?

SamHain

Yeah it's rear chain. Need a 43 or smaller to be where I want, not common so have to do some research to find one.

Since I needed the comp sprocket tried to get some gearing while I was at it.

Also have to replace my rotor or machine the lip off to use the bdl sprocket, never simple enough, moving in a week was trying to have to trailer one less bike.....
    Last edited by SamHain; 01-24-2017 at 10:47 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Why can't you use a different trans sprocket? You said "can only
    Fit a damn 22 on the trans" but why? You can fit a 21 on there too it will work.

What gear ratio are you pushing for? I think your bike is around 3.30's.

SamHain

21 won't be helpful, need to go larger on the trans. These bikes were enclosed chain, if the chain gets loose on the 22 it already tears away at the inner primary. Have it down to 3.22.

My other shovel is 3.03 and I'm leaning towards gettin a baker 6 in that, as I want more gearing and first is already pretty worthless for low speed conditions. end up cruising them both at 4500, 4000 with a lot of restraint

Get Adobe Flash player

I see. Good luck man!

Share This