Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bbcommo
    • Feb 2015

Sporty for a rigid cb750

So for while now I have been looking at this 1978 rigid CB750 on Craigslist and well I don't have the money to get it but I love the bike... I love my old 1997 Harley Sportster, but after almost a decade of owning it I'm thinking about doing a trade. for a guy who's only rode American bikes what are your thoughts my chopcult brothers...
  • Salty
    • Sep 2010

Yikes.

Comment

• BadMonkeyMW
      • Jul 2010

To me it just really depends on the condition of CB750. Is it ready to ride? Looks solid, not all janky old 70's 'craftsmanship'? Legit, clear title? Etc.

The CB engines are bullet proof, and Evo sportys are a dime a dozen these days. If you think it's a solid trade, go for it.

Do you have a link to the CL ad for the bike? It would help to see exactly what you're looking at.
      Last edited by BadMonkeyMW; 01-17-2017, 9:52 PM.

Comment

• bbcommo
        • Feb 2015

Comment

• mrhammer2u
          • Sep 2015

I love 4 banger rigids. If I were you I'd take a nice LONG test drive. Gonna be a completely diff animal. If you put a proper exhaust on that thing it'll run much better too. When I ran open pipes on my jap 4 it lost of ton of power down low.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Pull a cold compression test on all cylinders, then start from cold and see how it runs. Test ride sufficient to get it hot. Inspect the spark plugs for any indications of oil burning.

Comment

• Blackbetty
              • Apr 2011

it's a step backwards man....

Comment

• Wood
                • Aug 2012

What Blackbetty said! If your sporty is in any kind of decent shape it's worth quite a bit more than what he's asking.

Comment

• Jessechop
                  • Jan 2012

I can buy evo sportsters all day long for $2500. I love the fact it has a front fender but no rear fender. At least you won't have water in your face when the rear tire rips you to shit, haha

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

There should be plenty of old CB 750s available for cheap if you want to hardtail one yourself over time. Two bikes are better than one and there's no exotic fab work on the one in the advert.

Comment

• bbcommo
                      • Feb 2015

Thanks everyone, I know most are on one side or the other... Still feeling the deal out.

Comment

• ProfessorSquidbeard
                        • Jun 2013

cb750s are rad. super fun bikes where all the power is in the top end. the sporty is going to shoot off the line and you're not going to get even close with the cb. two totally different bikes. that being said, if you really want a cb, the 750 is the best of the bunch. super easy to work on and way easy to find parts.

Comment

• CarloFreeze
                          • Jun 2013

He's somewhat right about this, but a properly tuned CB will pull like a motherfucker. It's muscle really lives in the midrange for sure. It's a much higher revving motor though. You are opening yourself up to some new things like addressing and syncing 4 carbs which if you are diligent isn't really as hard to master as most whine about. If I was you roll there with like $1800 - $2000 seeing as how you are going to need to ditch the pods and either baffle or muffler the pipes to get it to run better along with making up a rear fender.

Comment

• whittiger650
                            • Jan 2013

I own a '93 1200 XLH and a '74 CB750 and both if them are great fun to ride. As has already been said, they are two different animals. I personally think you should find a way to buy that Honda rather than trade your Sportster. I strongly believe you would appreciate having both like I do and you won't be sorry after a few months when you start to miss the power and feel of the Sportster. With that said, that Honda looks pretty bad ass and seems like a good buy by just looks alone. But, if you get it, get a rear fender !

Comment

• AlleyOop
                              • Oct 2014

Just enough sketchy shows up in those pics to make me want to look at all the welds real close and also make sure it goes straight down the road, plus everything farmall told you to do. I have a soft spot for the CB750 and that one has potential but I don't think I'd even consider trading a good running sportster even for.

It's been up at least a month & who knows how many other times he's posted it, so you know nobody is rushing over there to buy it at that price. If you really want it, see if you can scrape together $1200 or $1500 and take over there, (in $10 & $20 bills) and make sure he sees it. Then if he don't take it just walk away. Five'll get ya 10 he'll be calling you back within a couple of days either to accept or with a counter offer close to your offer. I would not trade a dependable evo sporty for a home built 750 unless it was way nicer than that one.

Oh and no rear fender is the second dumbest thing you can do with a motorcycle.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;