CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: My first Harley

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default My first Harley

Whats up everyone. I am thinking of selling my current chop and buying my first Harley. As I only have experience with japanese bikes so far though I am curious as to what make/model etc you all suggest as a good intro into Harley. I like older bikes and I like to customize. But I am not super mechanically inclined so preferably something that doesn't have a huge list of known issues or one where the known issues are relatively easy fixes. I want a daily rider that is good on highways and would love to get into longer rides but I still love classic chops and in no way want a big ass bagger/dresser kind of deal. Any suggestions or feedback is welcome.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JuanCarlito View Post
    Whats up everyone. I am thinking of selling my current chop and buying my first Harley. As I only have experience with japanese bikes so far though I am curious as to what make/model etc you all suggest as a good intro into Harley. I like older bikes and I like to customize. But I am not super mechanically inclined so preferably something that doesn't have a huge list of known issues or one where the known issues are relatively easy fixes. I want a daily rider that is good on highways and would love to get into longer rides but I still love classic chops and in no way want a big ass bagger/dresser kind of deal. Any suggestions or feedback is welcome.
    Evo Sportster..

Get Adobe Flash player

Sportsters are the entry level, ironhead if u want old school cool, deals are abundant

Get Adobe Flash player

evo bigtwin or cone shovel
    and for the record shovels are reliable and dont leak if you build them correctly

Get Adobe Flash player

Seconding the Evo Sportster. Dirt cheap, modern enough to be reliable, simple enough without all the EFI crap that you can really strip them down clean, and a good foundation to make a nice custom.

Get Adobe Flash player

If u get an EVO Sportster, get a 1200 so you don't have to worry about wanting to upsize later.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloudSalvage View Post
    If u get an EVO Sportster, get a 1200 so you don't have to worry about wanting to upsize later.

Yea thats what I am thinking. My current bike is a XV750. Fun to rip around on but lacks a bit in the balls department lol. I want a bike thats going to last me a few years now!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JuanCarlito View Post
    Tall order hombre, entry level bike is whatever your wallet can do.. But review your options, once you get one, you can move up, or lateral with scoots, gotta get one first.

Get Adobe Flash player

I love my evo Sporty. But i wouldn't call it an old or vintage bike. It is reliable and like mentioned above, the solid mount, carbed models are simple enough to strip down and chop up.

Get Adobe Flash player

I agree on the early Evos. Solid mount, carb, reliable, etc. It's easy to forget, say a '95 Sportster, is already 22 years old. Even an 883 Sportster is plenty for a long trip and on highways. Well, until you ride a 1200 for a while!

littledill

86-03 evo sportster, tons of bolt on parts and easy to work on. Enough power to go on roadtrips, bullet proof

I got a 1989 Evo Sporty to go along with my XV. Easy to work on, easy to build. Would definitely recommend you get an Evo Sporty.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloudSalvage View Post
    I agree on the early Evos. Solid mount, carb, reliable, etc. It's easy to forget, say a '95 Sportster, is already 22 years old. Even an 883 Sportster is plenty for a long trip and on highways. Well, until you ride a 1200 for a while!
    Not if you want to do 95-110 from time to time! 1200 hands down if you're doing any highway riding and want to get around a caged dick.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by seaking View Post
    Not if you want to do 95-110 from time to time! 1200 hands down if you're doing any highway riding and want to get around a caged dick.
    I never really thought the difference in the 883 and 1200 would be enough to justify the work. Then I did SS 1250 kit. Holy shit, totally worth the money. Basically like a whole new bike with that familiar feel. I also told myself "I am fine pushing along at 65-70mph, I don't need to cruise at 90". Again I was wrong.

Get Adobe Flash player

Well . . . it sounds like everyone pretty much agrees on the Evo Sportsters. I will start looking there and see what comes up!

Get Adobe Flash player

Just to give you one idea of what's possible on an Evo Sportster. And this doesn't even go as far as running solid struts out back, welding in a rigid rear end, are dropping all the hardware into a rigid frame.

EDIT: Photobucket is being retarded and won't let me re-orient the photo.

Last edited by DIABOLUS; 02-05-2017 at 2:06 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

fixed

Get Adobe Flash player

I like it man. Definitely worth looking into further.
    anyone else feel free to posy examples.

Share This