X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tramskitcher
    • Sep 2014

'06 Yamaha XVS 1100 Re-build - "The Foreigner"

Hey,
    I finally made the move to re-build/chop my '06 XVS 1100 v-star over winter here in Australia.
    I was never happy with what I had already done to the bike. More so the stock frame (You know,that ugly double backbone!) and that fat rear tire, I hated walking up behind and seeing that fat ass tire.

In saying that, to me it was just a patch job to get me through last two summers on a bike that I was happy to ride and looked good enough for the mean time, I have really wanted to do this for the last couple of years now.
    As an a apprentice sheet metal fabricator, I was waiting until I knew I had the skill and foresight to chop my frame and design it to work the way i wanted; working around the engine with the lower half of the stock frame.

I'm still learning everyday, so I don't claim to be a know-it-all. But if I was to do this I would do it once & do it right. I have a passion for motorcycles and fabrication. Thats why 3 years ago at 28yo I made the move too work with metal and get into the trade. I did lots of reading and would learn of a lot of guys in different fields and would soak up all the advise anyone would give me and take it on board.

So the first thing to do was decide on where I wanted to be at the end and work from there.
    I wanted to build a SoCal 60's Frisco bike.
    The bike is appropriately named The Foreigner, because I'd be making stuff on my lunch breaks or after work doing foreigners

Pics in order.
    -Stock pic of what it looked like when i got it.
    -Changed a few things
    -Version 2
    -Last day of riding before the tear down

Attached Files
    Last edited by tramskitcher; 01-07-2017, 9:29 PM.
  • 21guns
    • May 2012

Looks really good dude. I actually am in the same situation myself just at a younger age. What are you thinking paint wise and getting it regoed depending on your state?

Comment

• tramskitcher
      • Sep 2014

Tore the bike down, and made a engine stand for the bench. The engine is a two man lift. It is heavy!
      My little workshop is 6ft by 19ft. Its small but snug. Perfect for me. It under went a lot of changes to utilise all the room I could over the last 8 months.
      I brought a JD squared model 32 bar bender, die set and JD squared Tube notcher along with a heap of new Makita Brushless power tools to assist me.

I had plates laser cut so I could make a jig to hold the frame together and a friend turned down some neck cups to hold the neck in place. I cut the frame while it was inside the jig, and it worked perfectly, the frame didn't move at all.

I also got the 3/4 HD axle to stock XVS dimensions for the 21" wide glide wheel conversion.

I bent the 1 5/16" seamless pipe to the desired angle for the seat area and cut the back bone and notched the pipe to the correct angles. Cleaned up the neck area, the stock frame has some terrible robot welds, so I cleaned and re-did some of the welds. They were big cold welds.
      Attached Files

Comment

• tramskitcher
        • Sep 2014

More pics from previous post
        Attached Files

Comment

• TheMainMuel
          • Oct 2010

Right on man. Great progress. I want to do the same with my 1100, I'll be keeping tabs. Love the shop too!

Comment

• tramskitcher
            • Sep 2014

More pics from previous post
            Attached Files

Comment

• tramskitcher
              • Sep 2014

The jig worked perfectly, the frame didn't move at all. I laid out the backbone to get the right look and then I put it in the frame and tacked it altogether. I also covered the steering lock hole form the stock main key on switch. I added a extra bar to the neck for support.
              I then proceeded to weld it up. I wasn't going to run the stock front end. It was far to wide so I then took the frame to my friend who put it inside the CNC and tuned the neck to take HD 1" racers and bearings so I could run a HD Sportster Narrow glide front end. He did a awesome job and it works perfectly.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by tramskitcher; 01-07-2017, 8:07 PM.

Comment

• tramskitcher
                • Sep 2014

Pics from previous post
                Attached Files

Comment

• tramskitcher
                  • Sep 2014

Attached Files

Comment

• tramskitcher
                    • Sep 2014

I then moved to making up a engine mount to suit. This was a little tricky as I had to re-design it, and it had to be able to be detachable from the engine and frame or it wouldn't work. This is a pic of the progress of it.
                    Next was the tank, I got it from Throttle addiction and proceeded to TIG welding it up, I got real nice corner to corner prep. I added in a mini 1-5/16" Weld in bung for the gas cap along with fuel sight bungs on the left hand side and NPT fuel outlet bung to the bottom left. Also made the handle bars that are super comfortable and to suit the style of the bike.

I had the 21" and 16" wheel striped of chrome and powder coated white. Laced with new stainless steel spokes. I used the stock rear hub but put into a aftermarket 36 hole rim. I used Avon SPEED master tires.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• tramskitcher
                      • Sep 2014

Pics from previous post
                      Attached Files

Comment

• tramskitcher
                        • Sep 2014

So I knew the 16" wouldn't fit inside the stock swing arm, I made a jig to hold it in place while i cut it up. Most nights that I had to work outside, it was a chilly 1 degree (33F) it even snowed one night. Called it early that night!
                        I extended the swing arm by 15mm to allow room for the new tire and rear fender. I cut it up and reduced the down tube section and replaced with new material. Then I turned down some pipe to sleeve into the extension/ stock part and plug welded it in. I welded it back together and it worked out perfect! Pressure tested the tank as well. No leaks!

I wanted to have mid mount pegs, so i had to work with the frame and unused space that i had. There was literally on one place I could put it. So had no choice, I moved the rear master cylinder assembly back along with the foot controls 200mm to the rear.
                        Fabricated a mounting plates for the LH & RH foot controls. I used the existing holes in the frame to mount the LH foot controls and kickstand. And a new rear brake pulley that works over the top of the exhaust I made.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• tramskitcher
                          • Sep 2014

pics from previous post
                          Attached Files

Comment

• tramskitcher
                            • Sep 2014

Attached Files

Comment

• tramskitcher
                              • Sep 2014

I got the lowering links laser cut in 5mm (15/64) Stainless Steel. I sell these online at www.barnonemoto.bigcartel.com in 12 different heights.
                              The bars came back from chrome, I had added the holes to take internal wiring and mini switches.
                              I finished off the frame along with welding in the bungs required etc. I had to notch of a small section of the backbone to allow the tappet cover to fit underneath. I rolled into shape a small piece of metal the same thickness as the tube. I got a nice corner to corner fit right the way round. Once it was welded, I used a torch and looked up the backbone to see the penetration. I had full peno right round which was quite relieving.

I wanted a cool looking sissy bar so I took extra time on this. I made little tabs for the tail light wires to run through too. Fitted the fender and welded it off.

I was going to run the same solo seat, but this time I put locating holes for the seat to sit in nicely and not move. Torn it back down for the frame to painted.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by tramskitcher; 01-07-2017, 8:11 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;