Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pcruz1201
    • Oct 2016

First Build...2000 XL1200 Sportster on a Paughco hardtail

Hey guys..I'm brand new to the site..So I've been riding now for years and always wanted to build one of these. I'm finally getting my chance albeit feeling a little overwhelmed.. Finally got all the pieces/parts in. I'm fairly handy and know basic mechanics..Thats about it..I'm sure this will be a real learning experience.. Now, what do I do with all this stuff again?...

Here's my donor bike and start of my mock up..I should be able to post about weekly.. Ideas, hints, clues, suggestions..are all welcome.. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pcruz1201; 01-15-2017, 5:29 PM.
  • Pcruz1201
    • Oct 2016

Now that I look at the photo closely, I may opt to go with a smaller tank.. any suggestions?

Comment

• Beefdrippings
      • Sep 2009

Those Paughco frames look good.Is it EFI or carb?In my opinion,those late model sporty tanks are among the worst looking tanks around.It's your bike do what you want,but if it were mine I'd be installing a different tank.You can probably get an EFI tank with more traditional shape from Lowbrow,Throttle Addiction or Bison Motorsports.

Comment

• Fruttolo
        • May 2016

Guess it's carbed as it's not a rubbermount, but if it wasn't I'd switch it to carb. Efi sucks.
        Anyway, that giant ass tank is hideous imo too, had it on mine and I replaced it with a classic small sporty tank. You could get a wassel or axed too, that's all personal preference. Actually a medium tunnel wassel would look nice on there

Comment

• Pcruz1201
          • Oct 2016

yep its a carb.. Yeah the more I look at it the more I realize tank needs to go. Also may have a clearance issue once I install my drag bars.. currently have a three inch rise on that springer and with that tank it just won't make it.. Its ugly..I agree.. thanks for the info!

Comment

• Pcruz1201
            • Oct 2016

Also changing out rear wheel.. and chopping rear fender a bit.. Going with a 40 spoke rear.... working on her today.. should have more pics in a couple days..

Comment

• Pcruz1201
              • Oct 2016

More mock up pics. Took some good advice and went with a smaller thank.. This one is from Throttle Addiction. Good quality tank and nice welds. I think the bike is looking a lot more aggressive with this tank. I'm starting to like it..Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0130.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	1293848Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0129.jpg
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	1293849Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	1293847

Comment

• Fruttolo
                • May 2016

Nice! Fork is +2"?

Comment

• Pcruz1201
                  • Oct 2016

Thanks. Its actually standard 30" but it does look longer. Maybe its the 21" tire.. Def like the stance though..

Comment

• Pcruz1201
                    • Oct 2016

Bend Struts...check

Working on my fender struts today. I need a "Man Sized" Vise.. But I guess I figured it out. sort of.. may need a little more work.. One small vise and two clamps for moral support..haha! using these bungs as well to mount..
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Pcruz1201; 01-12-2017, 3:17 PM.

Comment

• Pcruz1201
                      • Oct 2016

Chop Fender..Check.

Fender chop.. I think I like it..
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Pcruz1201
                        • Oct 2016

Meanwhile.....

Taking this Sporty apart slow and steady.. Had a few headaches already but trying to take things off the bike as an assembly to make it easier to reassemble on hardtail later... Almost ready to transplant the motor..
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Pcruz1201; 01-13-2017, 8:11 PM.

Comment

• Pcruz1201
                          • Oct 2016

Making Progress

Finally almost ready for a real mock up... It was a pain getting it out of the frame but I got it. A little "persuasion" and BINGO...its out..

Kind of a lot caked on dirt/grime/oil on it. Any ideas on a good cleaning product for this? Thanks!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Pcruz1201; 01-17-2017, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• 60JohnTchop1
                            • Jan 2017

Kool Build. Watching as I've had and loved 2-'76/'80 but not knowledge of the new ones. My '80 the easiest way to get the motor back in the frame is either, lay frame on it's side and lower the motor into the frame OR motor on side and drop frame over motor. It's been yrs since I had mine but I did fight it to get it out of the frame at first. Hope this tidbit helps but I did it before putting the frame together. Keeping it Simple for my old mind..lol Continue on!
                            I rode my '80 to Sturgis from South Louisiana in "92, 14 days, what a trip!

Comment

• Pcruz1201
                              • Oct 2016

very cool thank you!.. I got it out, it basically fell out of one side as I wiggled it out.... now to get it in the new frame for my final mock up..

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...