Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mrobinson
    • Dec 2016

First build!

Hey everyone. I have been cruising the build threads all day. some pretty cool stuff being done around here. Well i picked up a 103ci with a 6 speed about 6 months ago for a build i have been wanting to start for a long time. So i am in need of a softail frame. I really like the hardtail look but my back is a lil bitch so softail it is. I see alot of evo frames but not much twin cam stuff. Any suggestions on a reputable place to get one? I think the motor is a solid mounted setup how would i tell by looking at it?
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

A LOT more info needed..........What kind of 103 motor is it for one thing????

Comment

• Mrobinson
      • Dec 2016

Lol sorry. From checking the numbers it looks like its from a flstfb. Which from what i am reading is a fatboy lo? So its a 103b. Does this sound about right?

Comment

• Mrobinson
        • Dec 2016

Now i have looked a lil bit to see people saying on other forums frames are not available and others are saying it fits into evo frames with redoing the engine/trans mounts. That would be fine for me as i am setup for mig and tig. I have seen a few frames setup for an 88b twin cam. Not sure if that would be a good option.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
          • Oct 2016

Sounds like a fun project. You will end up with something really unique. Out of curiosity, what do you have for a title?

I am currently enjoying lots of kind and understanding interactions with the staff of the Illinois DMV ( sarcasm ). My bike is a mutt, serial number on the motor says it's a '55, frame is pre '54, front end is a Sporty ( or FX ).

Anyhow it was titled in '69 as a salvage / custom with a special frame tag from the Indiana DMV, Illinois does not know how to title it, my insurance company is lost on what to do with it. All in all a load of fun to deal with.

Just food for thought.
          -H

Comment

• Mrobinson
            • Dec 2016

I might be doing a builders title or i have a hardtail pacho frame that is titled. Not quite sure if i wanna go that route.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DoomBuggy

I am currently enjoying lots of kind and understanding interactions with the staff of the Illinois DMV ( sarcasm ). My bike is a mutt, serial number on the motor says it's a '55, frame is pre '54, front end is a Sporty ( or FX ).

Anyhow it was titled in '69 as a salvage / custom with a special frame tag from the Indiana DMV, Illinois does not know how to title it, my insurance company is lost on what to do with it.
              All in all it's a 69......... But if you went through a none title state and got a title for the motor it would be a 55 Harley and your insurance would be cheaper.........

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Tattooo
                All in all it's a 69......... But if you went through a none title state and got a title for the motor it would be a 55 Harley and your insurance would be cheaper.........
                Agree with the fact it is now a '69, just waiting for those who must be kept happy to figure it out.

I need to do a rebuild on the motor at some point and the option I have been looking at is finding a case or set of cases with title to rebuild mine into.

I will have to look into the out of state registration if that does not work out. I'll have to Google it to see what others have been successful with.

Thanks!
                -H

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
                  Agree with the fact it is now a '69, just waiting for those who must be kept happy to figure it out.

The tagged frame should trump all the other numbers..... If I were you I would buy a different cheaper motor for that frame and get a title for the 55 motor.......... It's worth a LOT more money that way..... Well with that said unless you live in California these days..... LOL

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

OP have a look at Paughco's B144S5 frame..

Rigid And ‘Easyride’ Frames For Twin Cam “B” Softail Engines

Choose from Straight Leg or Wishbone rigid frames, or Straight Leg ‘Easyride’ swingarm frames, designed specifically for use with counterbalanced Twin Cam “B” engines and transmissions for Softails.
                    They differ from the Paughco frames shown below by their lack of gas tank mounts, and their round-tube backbones instead of the boxed-style.
                    The ‘Standard’ frames can accept a 130-series tire with a belt final drive, and a 150-series tire with a chain. The ‘Wide’ frames can accept a 180-series tire with a conventional 1½"-wide belt, or a 200-series tire with a chain. Don’t forget to also order the optional center post and coil mounting bracket (Paughco #767-88B) which is sold separately.

Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Mrobinson
                      • Dec 2016

Yes i have been looking at those frames and ones from kraft tech. I am going to give them a call monday and see what they say

Comment

• Dragstews
                        • Sep 2010

Have you found out what motor/trans ya got.... If it's the Balance Shaft motor you will need to tell them that....

You could post a photo of it here.... I'm sure the CC Boys will tell what it is...
                        Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Mrobinson
                          • Dec 2016

I will post some pics tonight. I am pretty sure its a balance shaft setup.

Comment

• Mrobinson
                            • Dec 2016

Well i ended up picking up a 2005 dyna lo with an s&s t111. The original owner tore down the motor and now i have it in boxes. So this is going to be fun. Pistons look scored a little bit. The cylinders i cant catch a finger nail on what looks like scoring. But i am thinking of boring and replacing the pistons. The crankshaft's outer pressed on bearing is toast. But the rods feel tight and smooth. I do not know pinion runout as its all taken apart. Any reputable machine shops that can be suggested on rebuilding the crank & cylinders?

Comment

• xMPRx
                              • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Mrobinson
                              Well i ended up picking up a 2005 dyna lo with an s&s t111. The original owner tore down the motor and now i have it in boxes. So this is going to be fun. Pistons look scored a little bit. The cylinders i cant catch a finger nail on what looks like scoring. But i am thinking of boring and replacing the pistons. The crankshaft's outer pressed on bearing is toast. But the rods feel tight and smooth. I do not know pinion runout as its all taken apart. Any reputable machine shops that can be suggested on rebuilding the crank & cylinders?
                              from what I have seen on here the guy giving you feed back , user name dragstews dose awesome work!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;