Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clickjack
    • Oct 2016

Tool Roll

What tools do you carry with you? What do you want out of a tool roll?

3/8, 9/16, wrenches, lock tight, electrical tape... what else?

Think I'm gonna make my own.
  • AusAndrew
    • Mar 2013

There's heeeeeaps of threads covering them, have a search through them

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Place motorsickle near tool box.

Figger what you want to be able to do on the road.

Pile the best tools for that job next to motorsickle.

Bag 'em.

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

LOL One more of those well thought through well searched threads.......... LOL Where is Sky????????

Comment

• Apehangin
          • Apr 2016

Seems like no matter what ya pack, ya always need the one thing ya didnt.

Comment

• Clickjack
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Tattooo
            LOL One more of those well thought through well searched threads.......... LOL Where is Sky????????
            Dear lord, answer or ignore me. I promise to have many more questions you don't like. I did search for the record. Thought I might get a more concise answer to a specific question.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Clickjack
              Dear lord, answer or ignore me. I promise to have many more questions you don't like. I did search for the record. Thought I might get a more concise answer to a specific question.
              LOL A specific question.... LOL Yea right.......

I think I would worry more about riding the bike before I worried about working on it on the road.....

Comment

• beanhead78
                • Nov 2009

yeah, the search engine on here is lame.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                  • Oct 2016

I guess I should qualify this post, all of my cross country trips have been on my old '67 Sporty or my Panhead.

Basic set:
                  Flash light or LED Head Lamp, med & large Phillips, med flat blade, crescent wrench, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 combo wrenches, plug wrench & small piece of 400 sandpaper, black electricians tape, plastic tie wraps, 12" length of #14 wire, buck knife ( unless worn on belt ), common and needle nose pliers. I also carry a small can of lighter fluid and my Zippo. That will take care of most things that can be fixed on the side of the road. (edit: almost forgot, I have a foldout set of allen wrenches, those are in there as well )

Extended trip:
                  If I am packing for a long trip across open country I will also include quart of oil, spare plugs, points & condenser, short section of chain with spare master link, entrenching tool & some TP ( cause when you gotta go, you gotta go ), basic set of sockets, and a pair of tire spoons and spare inner tubes ( although now that I think about it I have never had a flat when on the road ).

We recently sold our boat and I may start carrying the emergency flare gun as well.

Hope this helps,
                  -H
                  Last edited by DoomBuggy; 12-15-2016, 1:17 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

^^^^^^^ Now that's some damn great info right there...^^^^^^^^ Especially when you ride your bike......... long distances...

Comment

• Clickjack
                      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
                      I guess I should qualify this post, all of my cross country trips have been on my old '67 Sporty or my Panhead.

Basic set:
                      Flash light or LED Head Lamp, med & large Phillips, med flat blade, crescent wrench, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 combo wrenches, plug wrench & small piece of 400 sandpaper, black electricians tape, plastic tie wraps, 12" length of #14 wire, buck knife ( unless worn on belt ), common and needle nose pliers. I also carry a small can of lighter fluid and my Zippo. That will take care of most things that can be fixed on the side of the road. (edit: almost forgot, I have a foldout set of allen wrenches, those are in there as well )

Extended trip:
                      If I am packing for a long trip across open country I will also include quart of oil, spare plugs, points & condenser, short section of chain with spare master link, entrenching tool & some TP ( cause when you gotta go, you gotta go ), basic set of sockets, and a pair of tire spoons and spare inner tubes ( although now that I think about it I have never had a flat when on the road ).

We recently sold our boat and I may start carrying the emergency flare gun as well.

Hope this helps,
                      -H
                      Thank you. I'm trying to find time for some bike camping. I'm jealous of you. Planned a cross country trip years ago, but my buddy crashed and totalled his bike right before we were going to leave. Never could get everything lined up again.

Comment

• Clickjack
                        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Tattooo
                        LOL A specific question.... LOL Yea right.......

I think I would worry more about riding the bike before I worried about working on it on the road.....
                        what a weird assumption to leap to. So far zero issues with my bike. But I'm new to shovels.

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

what a weird assumption to leap to. So far zero issues with my bike. But I'm new to shovels.
                          So why all the worried questions....... Stop messing with it and ride it...... If it's fine now enjoy it....... The more you change things when you don't know what your doing will be a disaster in the end........

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                            • Oct 2016

Thank you. I'm trying to find time for some bike camping. I'm jealous of you. Planned a cross country trip years ago, but my buddy crashed and totalled his bike right before we were going to leave. Never could get everything lined up again.
                            When I came home from the service I spent several years just traveling around the southwest. This was before cell phones of course. You had to have enough so that if you did break down you could get moving again.

The most I ever did was one year I started from Chicago in the spring, went east till I dipped the front tire in the Atlantic, and then went west till I dipped the rear in the Pacific. It took the better part of the year, but those are the memories I now tell my grandson about.

Of course I also left work one Saturday morning in Chicago and was drinking beers and eating BBQ in Texas on Sunday night.

-H

Comment

• farmall
                              • Apr 2013

You can fit enough gear in two small G.I. toolbags to take a big twin down to the cases. If I bring a toolbag I bring overkill, because too few tools just piss me off. Shovel tools include a bobbed, quality Crescent wrench (handier then full length) spark plug sized box end wrench, sockets for head and base bolts, 3/8" drive extension with short 90-degree bend at the male end, and a 9/16"-5/8" C-shaped wrench.

For light work: condoms, nitrile gloves, 3 pair handcuffs, ball gag, roofies, vintage beavertail sap, sharpened e-tool with scabbard, flaying knife, and a bag of lime.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;