CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
    SAAL

Default 1997 Suzuki Savage crank no start

I bought a 1997 suzuki savage with only 3,000 miles. When I got it the bike had been sitting for a year so I got a new battery, changed the oil, got a new spark plug, and replaced the stock petcock with a raptor 660 petcock. Bike ran perfect with no problems at all. Then I got a slip on muffler for the bike and I didnt rejet for awhile but the bike still ran okay except for at lower rpm's. Recently got a 55 pilot jet and was doing a few test runs while making adjustments to the idle air mixture screw and still was not running right.

I ended up buying a 52.5 pilot jet and throwing it in but on my last test run with the 55 pilot jet the bike lost power and died when I was coming to a stop and it wont start again. The bike cranks and sounds like it wants to start but doesn't. Fully recharged the battery, went through and cleaned the carb again, checked for spark and it was okay, checked the ignition coil and it was okay. I checked my fuses and all my wiring connections and it all seems good. For the first time I am very stumped and don't know what it could be. Everything else on the bike works but I did notice after the bike died that the front left turn signal also stopped working. Any help would be appreciated, there is only a few months of riding season left before I completely tear the bike down to build it and I want to make sure It's running right before then.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

You have spark, but check timing with a light.

Did you check using the original spark plug or just sticking a screwdriver into the plug cap and holding near ground?

What color is your plug insulator? That gives some hints on mixture.

Also perform a compression test so you know your top end is healthy. Assume nothing. We test everything that comes in the shop and it pays off. You probably have no problem but now you'll know before your teardown.

If worried wiring might be a problem you can pull the fuses not needed to run and see if anything changes.

Part last disturbed was the carb but they don't usually do sudden death on their own.
    Last edited by farmall; 08-01-2017 at 8:10 PM.

SAAL

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    You have spark, but check timing with a light.

Did you check using the original spark plug or just sticking a screwdriver into the plug cap and holding near ground?

What color is your plug insulator? That gives some hints on mixture.

Also perform a compression test so you know your top end is healthy. Assume nothing. We test everything that comes in the shop and it pays off. You probably have no problem but now you'll know before your teardown.

If worried wiring might be a problem you can pull the fuses not needed to run and see if anything changes.

Part last disturbed was the carb but they don't usually do sudden death on their own.
    I checked the ignition coil using the spark plug. The sparks were white in color and they did seem weak. I also double checked the ignition coil with a multimeter and everything checked out okay but I did notice the negative cable was loose and where the wire connects to was black unlike the positive side. The plug insulator is a very light tan color but the electrodes were black when I first pulled the spark plug out.

Thanks for the reply, I'll get to checking everything you mentioned and get back to you.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

put the petcock to prime.

SAAL

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycakes View Post
    put the petcock to prime.
    I don't have the stock petcock so it's no longer vacuum fed. With the raptor 660 petcock it's gravity fed and I blocked off where the vacuum line goes. I have tried starting it in the on, off, and reserve position though. Thank you for the feedback

any updates on this issue?

SAAL

I figured it out awhile back but I completely forgot about this thread. Turns out the bike was just really flooded. Double checked my float and cleared out the gas in the cylinder and it's all good to go.

Share This