CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default 1968 XLH oil line diameter? 5/16 or 3/8

When I stuck my digital mic inside the old lines they were closer to 5/16, so I figured with them being old and wallowed out I'd go with the smaller diameter to ensure a tight fit on all the barbs and nipples. (I added a Lowbrow Filtromax remote oil filter).

The 5/16 barely went onto the return and feed nipples of the tank and bike, but fit correctly onto the vent. I put the mic on the outside of the return nipple on the tank and it looked closer to 3/8.

So it would seem the inner diameter of my lines are too small, which concerns me there won't be enough oil flow through the system.

I'd say I ought to change them to 3/8, but was really hoping to take a little ride today to test her out. Would y'all say that's probably a bad idea?

I'd replace it all right now and still have time for a ride today but I used Permatex Indian Chief Gasket Shelac on the starter gasket and will have to order a new one....

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

If the 3/8 fits better that's what I would use... It will flow more oil.....

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    If the 3/8 fits better that's what I would use... It will flow more oil.....
    Agreed, 3/8" for sure. The vent fitting may be smaller like it is on Evo Sportys, but you definitely don't want to restrict oil flow in your feed & return lines.

Get Adobe Flash player

Keep these tight....

Share This