CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default How cold when you stop riding?

Yesterday I rode my bike to the turkey day family get together. On the way back I decided it is the end of half helmet time and time to break out the full face helmet. I was OK for the most part except my fingers. I have some thicker cold weather riding gloves but my fingers were completely numb after the 45 minute ride and it was about 26 degrees out at night. I don't want to stop riding unless there is snow or ice on the road but I really could barely move my fingers when I got home. No fairings or heated grips or anything fancy on my bike. Any ideas for the hands ?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Layers work for most- try thin inner gloves.

Get Adobe Flash player

Im quite similar with my riding habits- go until theres ice. Unfortunately sometimes that gets very cold still. You could use a pair of baseball gloves under your existing one for an extra layer. It helps- not greatly- but it helps. Next step is heated gear rather than grips.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyJJ View Post
    Im quite similar with my riding habits- go until theres ice. Unfortunately sometimes that gets very cold still. You could use a pair of baseball gloves under your existing one for an extra layer. It helps- not greatly- but it helps. Next step is heated gear rather than grips.
    good advice heated grips come unglued from there own heat . Since I live on the wrong side of the 49th parallel I am looking at heated gear to extend my riding season

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by dageetch View Post
    Yesterday I rode my bike to the turkey day family get together. On the way back I decided it is the end of half helmet time and time to break out the full face helmet. I was OK for the most part except my fingers. I have some thicker cold weather riding gloves but my fingers were completely numb after the 45 minute ride and it was about 26 degrees out at night. I don't want to stop riding unless there is snow or ice on the road but I really could barely move my fingers when I got home. No fairings or heated grips or anything fancy on my bike. Any ideas for the hands ?
    A pair of thin latex gloves under your cold weather gloves works wonders. Latex doesn't breathe, so any heat in your hands stays there. Won't be as warm as heated gloves, per se, but will help you be a lot more comfortable in the cold part of the year.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just pretend your bars are warm dicks and I bet your pussy hands will wrap themselves around em.

Last year 40 was my limit this year my age is catching up. I'm only doing 50 so far. I don't own " biker " gear. My cold weather gear is my insulated carhardt bibs and jacket. Been thinking about chaps.

Get Adobe Flash player

Been riding all I can past couple weeks. Been down in the 40s and 50s. Sucks if you're not layered up but doable.

For gloves I just pulled out my cheap Walmart snow gloves. No shit. Work great. I think i paid $10 last year or year before. They're on the fluffy side but are weatherproof so help block the wind. Not sure how they'd do at much colder temps but I'm pretty sure I rode some 30 degree days last winter. I'd definitely look for something to block the wind. That's what kills ya.

I'll ride til they put the salt down. Latex or green dishwashers gloved under my thick leather gloves had worked for me

Get Adobe Flash player

Like bosco says, it's really up to when they start salting the roads more than the temp for me. I can't recall ever riding below 30 though. I Layer up and use the rocker box to warm my fingers when they get numb.

Get Adobe Flash player

How cold when i stop,. Thats when i stick my head out the door and if my ears hear my mouth say " fuck that". Then i grab the car keys. Had my fair share of that fuckin nonsense.

Get Adobe Flash player

yeah, around 50 degrees is about it for me. last easter i rode to my parents house and it was cold maybe mid 40s. geared up jacket & gloves.
    felt decent enough when i left the house, but at 55 MPH i was hurting.

Get Adobe Flash player

I just quit riding up here in Minneapolis due to snow. I rode in as low as 18 degrees. Chaps, good coat, gloves and a fleece face mask and a fleece head band work wonders. For my hands, I stick those air activated heat pads on top of my hands while they are in the glove. Pick them up cheap at home depot or menards.

Get Adobe Flash player

I ride all year round. Snow/Ice/Etc.

Pick a line and be smart and you can ride year round anywhere

Quite the soundtrack.... lol. I like.

Get Adobe Flash player

MadRiver what is the camera mounted to a passenger's helmet?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by CarloFreeze View Post
    MadRiver what is the camera mounted to a passenger's helmet?
    Top of the sissy

I don't ride two up in the snow

Get Adobe Flash player

Rode last year in 11 degrees. I work second shift so it gets balls ass cold like that on the way home. People always say "it's too cold" or ask me " aren't you cold?". I never give them a bullshit 'nah it's all good' answer. I'll tell ya it's fuckin cold. But I dress for the weather i'm in when it happens so i tend to ride in any cold w/o precipitation. Rain is cool too just not in freezing temps. Screw that.

Quote Originally Posted by dageetch View Post
    I don't want to stop riding unless there is snow or ice on the road but I really could barely move my fingers when I got home. No fairings or heated grips or anything fancy on my bike. Any ideas for the hands ?
    Best thing I've found so far is mittens paired with glove liners. They take a little getting used to, but they've worked great so far. This is the first year I've tried them so the coldest temps I've hit have been ~32 degrees, but even after an hour at highway speeds ( or wee bit faster) my hands have been nice and warm.

Thanks for the tips. Gonna try a couple of them out!

Share This