CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 6 of 6 First ... 456

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    That's the thing-my memories of these engines are from 40 years ago!! Spoke to John Hobbs and checked out Olympus and the Hobbit at the drags a couple of years ago. Lots of work needed on the supercharged engines. Percy Tait was a legend...
    Yea, back then the metal fatigue hadn't even set in yet.. haha! I remember having a stripped cyl base bolt 15 years ago when the crank assembly was overhauled, it was fixed with a pretty bomb proof insert. Might have been wise to do all of them but they were fine back then. Anyway now the main bearings are worn, the engine sprocket splines are worn.. the pistons are at the wide end of the tolerance, with visual return marks at the bottom. Will probably be alright with next o.s. pistons, and a new set of rods. Running used rods with unknown age and milage is kind of asking for it, even if the bolts, bearings and bushings are new. He's gonna get to measure up the cams, tappets and all that too. And balance the whole rotating assembly including clutch basket. All engines breathed on by this guy are durable, smooth ,and reliable. Built after users requests of engine character. Used to prep racing tridents and bonnevilles for decades. I'm actually looking forward to the hours on the phone with the guy, he's great! 2-3000$ is what he usually takes for a complete teardown and rebuild, im doing most if not all assembly work myself, might have him button up the bottom end and cylinders though. He's always giving me a great hourly rate anyway.
    Last edited by datadavid; 08-10-2021 at 12:54 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by datadavid View Post
    Yea, back then the metal fatigue hadn't even set in yet.. haha! I remember having a stripped cyl base bolt 15 years ago when the crank assembly was overhauled, it was fixed with a pretty bomb proof insert. Might have been wise to do all of them but they were fine back then. Anyway now the main bearings are worn, the engine sprocket splines are worn.. the pistons are at the wide end of the tolerance, with visual return marks at the bottom. Will probably be alright with next o.s. pistons, and a new set of rods. Running used rods with unknown age and milage is kind of asking for it, even if the bolts, bearings and bushings are new. He's gonna get to measure up the cams, tappets and all that too. And balance the whole rotating assembly including clutch basket. All engines breathed on by this guy are durable, smooth ,and reliable. Built after users requests of engine character. Used to prep racing tridents and bonnevilles for decades. I'm actually looking forward to the hours on the phone with the guy, he's great! 2-3000$ is what he usually takes for a complete teardown and rebuild, im doing most if not all assembly work myself, might have him button up the bottom end and cylinders though. He's always giving me a great hourly rate anyway.
    Gotta say I farmed out my 500's bottom end, did the rest myself years ago. They are amazing engines when rebuilt well. Mine was 60 thou over on the bores at one point. At least you could get good OEM spares then.

Get Adobe Flash player

Gotta say I farmed out my 500's bottom end, did the rest myself years ago. They are amazing engines when rebuilt well. Mine was 60 thou over on the bores at one point. At least you could get good OEM spares then.
    Yea, im a good welder and decent mechanic, not a machinist in any way. That stuff is best left to the experts.

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210830_090521_HDR~3.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	323.9 KB 
ID:	105009
    Love these cool misty autumn rides to work. It doesnt give a fuck about the two loose cylinder bolts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20210830_090521_HDR.jpg  
    Last edited by datadavid; 08-30-2021 at 1:17 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Name:	IMG_20210830_090521_HDR~3.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	323.9 KB 
ID:	105009
    Love these cool misty autumn rides to work. It doesnt give a fuck about the two loose cylinder bolts.
    Excellent! Autumn is a fab season. I hear Manegarm's 'Blot' when I think of it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Excellent! Autumn is a fab season. I hear Manegarm's 'Blot' when I think of it.
    I really should start riding to work in my chainmail shirt

Get Adobe Flash player

I really should start riding to work in my chainmail shirt
    I'm sure there's no law against it....

Name:	images (7).jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	105084

The blacksmith in the workshop next to mine is bored , and making swords....
    Last edited by Hoghead; 09-02-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Share This