Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    • Aug 2015

No mufflers, lollipops in pipes?

Thinking of pulling off the mufflers on my 97 1200 and just putting some lollipops or torque inserts in the ends of the pipes. I see guys run custom made short straight pipes so I assume it's alright. Any downsides to doing that?

Thanks,
    -Dane
  • ridgerunner1965
    • Mar 2015

some guys love them some guys hate them.

im running home made lolipops in the 2" pipe with gutted baloney cut muffs. for a shovel these are not the optimal pipes for performance.

what i noticed on my bike when i put in the pops was almost no cackeling when letting off throttle or downshifting.

as fa ras performance you will prob only find that out on a dyno.

if you are just running the head pipes you may still get cackeling even with the pops in.

Comment

• UncleRemo1985
      • Oct 2016

What do you guys use for the lollipops? I just came across this idea in a video to help on my bike. I watched a video from S&S that showed that running lollipop bolts in the exhaust increased midrange over not running anything.

Comment

• Dane
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by UncleRemo1985
        What do you guys use for the lollipops? I just came across this idea in a video to help on my bike. I watched a video from S&S that showed that running lollipop bolts in the exhaust increased midrange over not running anything.
        I think the usual home-made method is an eye bolt with a washer on each side sandwiched together with a small bolt.

Comment

• Sky
          • Aug 2009

Anti-reversion or "torque cones" go between the pipes and the exhaust port, at the head.
          Short pipes are for high RPM, purpose built race bikes. And posers.
          Lollipops are fine, figure on rejetting when you uncork the mufflers...

Comment

• HedleyLamarr
            • Jun 2012

for under 20 bucks, I just picked up the DK Customs ones. Mucho easier

Comment

• Dane
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Sky
              Anti-reversion or "torque cones" go between the pipes and the exhaust port, at the head.
              Short pipes are for high RPM, purpose built race bikes. And posers.
              Lollipops are fine, figure on rejetting when you uncork the mufflers...
              The torque cones confuse me, why do they go at the exhaust port? And it's the sort of thing where you either run lollipops OR cones right? Never both?

Originally posted by HedleyLamarr
              for under 20 bucks, I just picked up the DK Customs ones. Mucho easier
              Yeah that's what I put in yesterday. They're cheap and the guys are cool there.

Comment

• UncleRemo1985
                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Dane
                The torque cones confuse me, why do they go at the exhaust port? And it's the sort of thing where you either run lollipops OR cones right? Never both?

Yeah that's what I put in yesterday. They're cheap and the guys are cool there.
                I ended up ordering the CV Performance torque cones before seeing the lollipops from DK. If the torque cones don't do the trick then maybe I'll get some of the lollipops too.

The way the cones work is by increasing the speed the exhaust gets out of the engine, the escape velocity lost by a much freer flowing exhaust.

Comment

• Dane
                  • Aug 2015

I ended up ordering the CV Performance torque cones before seeing the lollipops from DK. If the torque cones don't do the trick then maybe I'll get some of the lollipops too.

The way the cones work is by increasing the speed the exhaust gets out of the engine, the escape velocity lost by a much freer flowing exhaust.
                  I rode it around today with just the head pipes and torque inserts (lollipops) and it seemed flat in the lower rpms. The inserts aren't as big as I hoped they would be, so I think I might need to increase the velocity a little bit more so I might try adding some cones too.

Comment

• UncleRemo1985
                    • Oct 2016

What size exhaust and inserts do you have?

Comment

• Sky
                      • Aug 2009

Not really. Venturi effect is lost as soon as the fluid/gas leaves the restricted orifice. They are more properly referred to as "anti-reversion inserts". They are trying to minimize the shockwave created when the exhaust leaves the end of the pipe...
                      The lollipops partly serve this same function...
                      Stock Evo exhaust ports accept 1-3/4" pipe. Some fat pipes have "cones" built in. But i think the OP wants to run just the stock headers without mufflers.
                      He'd be better off gutting his mufflers or getting cheap auto parts store exhaust extensions... Maybe lollipops too

Comment

• OleDirtyDoc
                        • Jul 2013

wouldn't lollipops just melt?😋and what's the best flavor to use?
                        Last edited by OleDirtyDoc; 12-03-2016, 8:53 PM.

Comment

• mrhammer2u
                          • Sep 2015

I rode it around today with just the head pipes and torque inserts (lollipops) and it seemed flat in the lower rpms. The inserts aren't as big as I hoped they would be, so I think I might need to increase the velocity a little bit more so I might try adding some cones too.
                          Try a bigger lollipop before the cones. You are positioning the lollipop perpendicular to the pipes,...right? If you're going from having a muffler to not,..you're most likely never going to be happy with the power you're going to lose. Whereas if you started with open pipes,..you would notice a small gain in low end grunt and think lollipops are the shizzle.

Comment

• Dane
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by mrhammer2u
                            Try a bigger lollipop before the cones. You are positioning the lollipop perpendicular to the pipes,...right? If you're going from having a muffler to not,..you're most likely never going to be happy with the power you're going to lose. Whereas if you started with open pipes,..you would notice a small gain in low end grunt and think lollipops are the shizzle.
                            They're 90 degrees to the pipe but they're just smallish.

I think you're right, no matter what I do I won't be satisfied with short pipes, I don't know how anyone can be. The power loss I felt was substantial, and even if I could get some of that back I don't see how it could be enough. Probably just going to slap the mufflers back on until I can get some help to make up some real pipes.

Comment

• mrhammer2u
                              • Sep 2015

They're 90 degrees to the pipe but they're just smallish.

I think you're right, no matter what I do I won't be satisfied with short pipes, I don't know how anyone can be. The power loss I felt was substantial, and even if I could get some of that back I don't see how it could be enough. Probably just going to slap the mufflers back on until I can get some help to make up some real pipes.
                              Like I said, the only people who like them didn't know the bike when it had a "real" exhaust system. There's lots of slip ons that are loud, less tuning issues, great power and cheap. Most dyno guys won't even dyno a bike with pipes that short cause they know the customer will never be happy and bitch.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;