Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by mrhammer2u
    Like I said, the only people who like them didn't know the bike when it had a "real" exhaust system. There's lots of slip ons that are loud, less tuning issues, great power and cheap. Most dyno guys won't even dyno a bike with pipes that short cause they know the customer will never be happy and bitch.
    Popped the torque cones in and it helped for sure. I'd need to test it more, but at this point I've just about given up on it and started daydreaming about what kind of long pipes I want to do.

Comment

• wilk
      • Mar 2014

I run both torque cones and home made lollipops on my 113 S&S - A bolt, a washer and a welder is all you need - Why buy when you can build?Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190907_19_40_46_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	1313029

Comment

• CaNaDiAnNuTcAsE
        • Dec 2021

I found the best thing is a frost plug welded to a rod. (Dished side in) I have fixed a few idiot muffler mods on Japanese bikes that way.

At what point will people learn you can't run straight or hollow pipes on a shadow without the engine running like shit?

Oops sorry for the dead thread revival.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

Making Drag Pipes Work

If you insist on using drag pipes on your bike, there is something you can do to improve the low and mid range power produced by the engine. Even with the improvement listed here, the streetable engine power is not going to match power output of a good 2-1 or 2-2 exhaust system. Motorcycle Performance Guide does not recommend drag pipes or porker 2" pipes for serious street engines, but the performance fix listed here will improve the power of your drag pipes.

Results have been confirmed by dyno results.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gene_p_dyno_thumbscrew.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1321570

Bike Tech received a dyno run sheet from Gene P. that just showed what happened by changing the angle of the thumbscrew.

Three runs were done.
          Thumbscrew parallel to the pipe (run 7),
          45 degrees to pipe (run 6) and,
          90 degrees (run 5) to the pipe.

Judge the results for yourself.
          This also shows you the benefits of dyno tuning something as simple as your exhaust system.

Run 7 (open or parallel to the pipe) Makes the most power, but has a huge hole in the power band just above 3000 RPM

While run 5 (90 to the pipe) makes the lowest horsepower (approximately 68), the 2500-4000 RPM power is the highest.
          This is the RPM band that most riders spend there time riding.

Run 6 (45 to the pipe) improves the 3000-4000 RPM horsepower drop over run 7 without any significant drop in maximum power.

Last edited by TriNortchopz; 01-09-2022, 6:36 AM. Reason: dyno chart and details
          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• CaNaDiAnNuTcAsE
            • Dec 2021

That's interesting. I wish I thought of turning the thing instead of drilling holes to get it right. Now I envision one connected to the throttle to get a broader powerband.

Comment

• docmel
              • May 2015

My solution was tourque cones. I use them on my 07 Streetbob (EFI) and my 60 FL. Both have long, open drag pipes.

The 07 also has a power commander module and runs great with no drop in power or popping

My 60FL has an SS carb: Thats the bike I can tell a dif with the cones: Cant say anything bad about them, and no popping or loos of mid range power (A pretty much stock pan doesnt have allot of mid range anyways)

I am not a fan of lollis: Never ran them, but I cant say reducing the diameter of a pipe with what is essentially a baffle would help: Just me

Comment

• docmel
                • May 2015

Last point: Loiies werent made for any sort of performance improvement. They were made to reduce sound: Turn it closed, its quieter: Twist it open and its louder.

And also to meet some sort of roadside inspection: Back in the day during Daytona Bike week, cops used to actually stop bikes with loud pipes, stop you for it, then stick a billy club up the pipes to see if there was some sort of baffle to meet Fla regs.

Comment

• docmel
                  • May 2015

Classic.............
                  Attached Files

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;