CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Prices on an FXRT / FXRP

Hows everyone doing?

Was looking around on my local craigslist, been trying to find an FXRT in decent shape. Prices have been really creeping up, however i did find an FXRP. He wants a good chunk of change (9500) for it but I'm not sure how much of this bike has been messed with. Ad claims only the seat, carb, and windshield are not stock. Looking at old stock photos that seems correct, it has been painted a royal purple however. Meh.

What do you guys think, I think he's asking a bit much. If it had factory paint I would understand. Ad link below.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/5875855929.html

Get Adobe Flash player

1. Odometer is listed as 78,000. I don't care if the engine has been completely rebuilt, think of how worn out everything else is.

2. It's a 1990 model. Honestly you can get alot newer, nicer bike for the same money or less. Unless you're just dead set on that particular model.

3. It's purple. Fucking Barney the dinosaur purple lol.

Do what you want, but I'd buy something else with my $9500.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Townson View Post
    1. Odometer is listed as 78,000. I don't care if the engine has been completely rebuilt, think of how worn out everything else is.

2. It's a 1990 model. Honestly you can get alot newer, nicer bike for the same money or less. Unless you're just dead set on that particular model.

Ya, the problem is I've been looking mostly for an FXRT or FXRP could probably get a newer Dyna but its not what I'm looking for. 78,000 is a lot but I'm not to worried about it. But ya the purple is rough. Maybe I'll offer like 7k for it. Probably wont fly.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm not too fond of the FXR fad but--it seems like you WANT the tour package, hence the search, so why are you paying top dollar for one not equipped with the tour package? All you're getting is a piece of shit with that FXRP

I get the itch, maybe look up FXLRs, they're cheaper and seem to be far more babied than their touring counterpart, you could equip one and end up with a better bike for under $10k. If not check out searchtempest and be willing to travel. They're out there.

Get Adobe Flash player

Do you want to ride or restore? That matters.

If I bought an RT wonderful enough to restore I wouldn't ride it because there's no point, or ride it on Sundays then masturbate. I'd shit the money to buy as cherry as possible because it's cheaper then a restoration quest.

Then I'd go buy an FXR or FXLR to ride the fuck out of. I have both.

Seven grand is way high for that bike. I bought my most recent FXLR for 3500 running with ~38K, clean and as unoriginal ("all original" my hairy ass) as that thing in the advert. The bags aren't worth the difference, and Sumax makes bagger bag mounts. You'll have to spend a few grand to make an original correct CHP bike out of that, and hunt parts for years (or spend even more) to do it.

Winter is coming and you can save mad money driving a few hours up into the Carolinas. Don't go shopping hungry.

If buying to ride. FXLRs are FXRs for midgets and overlooked so they go cheaper. The differences that matter are forks and shocks. You can bolt on longer dual disc front ends (later dual discs to take four piston calipers without using caliper adapters are MUCH FUCKING BETTER than factory duals, which I had from 1988 to a year ago). They need not be "RT" parts. The RT fork tubes are still available. I lurk swap meets and got my last two dual disc front ends for 150 and 200 bucks each complete. (British meets are good places to buy Harley parts and the reverse is true too.)

See this? https://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/sc

Change your state suffix, open in tabs, and you can bang through adverts fast every day for any State ya like.

I search the various FXR models, and Low Rider. Wait a month or search and watch what doesn't move. Rain is coming to Georgia/SC/NC.

Look for people who spent way too much money. If you have seven grand to blow that's S&S engine territory.

If you want original it would make sense to really lurk and get and FXR2 or FXR4. Rare, but they turn up, and have the nice later drive trains. Denso starters beat the piss out of the old Hitachi setup. Splined shaft trans are much nicer to work on than tapered shaft though I never stripped any of those.

If you want to tour, the stock seats suck unless you are used to a harsh ride. Spend the money on a cop seat or a Mustang if you are serious.
    Last edited by farmall; 11-18-2016 at 7:56 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks guys for the input, My plan was to try and get it back to stock form and ride it semi-frequently. The one I linked in the ad isn't the best starting place which i'm aware of, i.e. miles and that fuck awful purple paint. There is a FXR locally that the guy wants 5500 for but the motor has been messed with a ton and that can be a crap shoot.

There are quite a few twinkie's for sale, dynas mostly that would make for a better long haul bike than my chopped sportster. So what do you guys think would be a reasonable price for a decent stock FXRT? I have never seen one lower than 7 but that might just be weird Florida prices.

Get Adobe Flash player

i bought my fxlr for like 3500 and sold 500 worth of shit off it. just sayin.

search CL for "low rider" sometimes dudes list them as that.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ill sell you a real nice RP for $9500. Even have the gumball and siren to go with it. 1990 model

Get Adobe Flash player

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	73064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	73064

Get Adobe Flash player

OP isn't going to "restore" some aborted RT or RP to complete for less than that price. Price just the used fairings on Ebay for comparison.

Do you still have the cop seat etc? BTW I like the Super Glide style one piece that's on it. I put one on my 1988 when I bought it.

Get Adobe Flash player

No i dont have the cop seat, but i know where a few are and could have one in 10mins. Got just about everything else, radio rack, gumball, siren, amp, dash .... I think the odometer says 38k or so. Its very clean.

Get Adobe Flash player

Great looking bike Fred.

Get Adobe Flash player

That is pretty much were I would like to end up if I pursued getting one.

Get Adobe Flash player

Found an fxlr however people down here in FL sure do enjoy ugly paint jobs. Had to get new pistons and rods at 40k miles. That sounds flakey.

https://daytona.craigslist.org/mcy/5855133535.html

Get Adobe Flash player

if I had the money I like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Harley-...m=122235820816
    a buddy of mine has one and it usually his go to ride when he travels long distances. he has a large selection to choose from to, form 2 1936knucks all the way thru the years to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Townson View Post

^ +1 on that. For the three reasons listed above and more, I would pass on that bike. Overpriced by at least $6K. These FXR's sit on CL for more than a week or so because they are unrealistically overpriced. The ones that are priced right sell within days, and you probably never get to see them unless you're lucky or searching nationwide, daily.
    Last edited by JamesButler; 12-03-2016 at 12:31 PM.

Share This