Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gunsjordan
    • Mar 2016

Triumph oil tank on a sporty..?

What does it take to run a "British standard triumph chopper oil tank" on a evo sportster? Can I just eliminate the rocker feed fitting.
    The tank has a oil feed bung on bottom with a triumph style filter screen fitting. A T-fitting on bottom for return and rocker feed that runs to the top of tank inside. And a Vent fitting on bottom also with a tube inside that runs to the top of tank.
    From what I think I know, sportsters don't have a rocker feed line or a filter fitting coming off the oil tanks....I got this tank from the swapmeet for super cheap, just trying to make it work on my sporty build.
    Last edited by Gunsjordan; 11-14-2016, 10:25 PM.
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

PICS? If it's the usual round or hex thing, run it, but it will look odd with an Evo frame and stock takeoffs are common and cheap. If you are hardtailing then it might look like it belongs there if it doesn't have the downtube notch in the middle.

So long as tank has feed, return and vent it should work fine. It's plumbing after all.

From what I think I know, sportsters don't have a rocker feed line or a filter fitting coming off the oil tanks
    What does your factory service manual show you? Get a FSM and factory parts catalog. Assume nothing. Get the correct tech data. You'll thank me later. Either download or buy used from Ebay if impoverished. Parts books are rare to download.

Comment

• Blackbetty
      • Apr 2011

There's no rocker feed line for evo sporty. Oil filter is integrated w case at front and is plumbed on it's own off the oil pump, so no need to worry about that either.

You just need to worry ab feed, return, and vent.

Comment

• Gunsjordan
        • Mar 2016

From what I've researched the return/rocker feed tube is pinched at the top and has a 3/32 hole for the oil to "mist" out (builds backpressure for the rocker feed) or some shit . Im not sure if mine has this but does it matter for a sportster or does the return oil need to freely come out.
        Sorry kinda confusing

Comment

• triumphbruce
          • Jun 2014

I would not use it restricts the oil return as you have said to force oil to the rockers

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Correct. You want unrestricted return.

Comment

• Deathxwish
              • Sep 2016

Only thread I could find on doin a triumph tank on a sporty so bringin it back up, I got this triumph tank and it's got the 4 lines and I plugged the t line for. The rocker boxes but not sure what to do with the vent line comin from the cam case. The far left line had a plug in it from previous owner, wondering if I should unplug it and use for vent line. Any insight would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2443.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	1300762

Name:	IMG_2497.jpg
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	1300763

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
                • Apr 2012

There is ump-teen million aftermarket oil bags on the market, some modern creations and all kinds of accy type ones from back in the day. It is virtually impossible to tell you what each line does or does not do with your description and pictures.
                But it is TOTALLY useable assuming the Line IDs are adequate. (Dont restrict flow, especially when cold)

I have a lot of triumphs, BSA, ect and Sporties are not really any different. Limey bikes dont have oil filters per se,, they used something called a "Sludge trap" inside the crank and works like a septic tank for old style oil, modern multi grades need a paper element filter so best bet is a return side remote oil filter (most common is a Norton Commando type)
                Many British bikes ran a external oil line up to the rocker arms, some off the Pump/case and some off the return line. The upper end oil feed is restricted so it does NOT over oil the top end. Some builders get rid of that design and run a calibrated oil feed off the pressure relief valve and you use a carb jet to meter it. (Its what I use on all my builds)

On a sportster, you dont need that extra line so just seal it off. Below is some pix, but its all very simple, On MOST aftermarket oil bags (They really are not an oil tank, proper term is oil bags) the feed has a small mesh screen and feed pipe, the return lines USUALLY enter in and go all the way near the top of the tank (So the oil recirculates) as well as you can look in and verify return,. Venting is a whole topic in itself, In general venting is a good thing, but how to do it best is a topic all on its own.

Name:	HDsportsteroillinerouteoil_ro10.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1300786Click image for larger version

Name:	Triumphoillines2b0a838c22471.jpg
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1300787Click image for larger version

Name:	HDventMotorhead_Memo_08-L.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1300788

Comment

• SamHain
                  • Apr 2024

That return(with the T) is going to be restricted internally if built right. I wouldn't use that line for anything. I'd make an unrestricted return if it doesn't have one available.

Comment

• Apr 2012

Originally posted by SamHain
                    That return(with the T) is going to be restricted internally if built right. I wouldn't use that line for anything. I'd make an unrestricted return if it doesn't have one available.
                    SamHain, I would disagree,, while you MIGHT be right, generally the restriction is going to be in the line going to the rockers, NOT in the main line going INTO the tank, so should not be a problem.

But you bring up a good point. MANY aftermarket old oil bags had some crappy engineering, and the lines may be too small overall, or shoddy construction. Because the pipe on the T going to the rockers needs to be restricted itself, I have seen same size pipe crimped to give the restriction as well as a smaller ID pipe brazed in, but sometimes the brazing or welding is so crappy it penetrates the tubing itself and obstructs overall flow.

So, would be a good idea to check this all out and do some measurements.

Comment

• SamHain
                      • Apr 2024

I'll disagree too. If the restriction isn't in the return it won't force oil to the T. Factory the return is crimped off and has a smaller hole drilled at the top, that's the way I make them, and the only way I can understand would work.

Comment

• Apr 2012

Originally posted by SamHain
                        I'll disagree too. If the restriction isn't in the return it won't force oil to the T. Factory the return is crimped off and has a smaller hole drilled at the top, that's the way I make them, and the only way I can understand would work.
                        I guess some pictures are in order, Will post some up, but might be awhile, We are getting Ice and Snow.

Comment

• humdinger
                          • May 2018

Couldn't you just stick in something that has an OD about the size of the returns ID to check for restriction? If it is restricted carefully open it with a drill and make sure you clean all the shavings out.

You guys think a vented cap is good enough?

I know this is an old thread but I wanna do it too.

Comment

• SamHain
                            • Apr 2024

Originally posted by humdinger
                            Couldn't you just stick in something that has an OD about the size of the returns ID to check for restriction? If it is restricted carefully open it with a drill and make sure you clean all the shavings out.

You guys think a vented cap is good enough?

I know this is an old thread but I wanna do it too.
                            The tube is pinched shut and the new port is in the side of the tube. Depending on the tank you may be able to see it through the fill hole, but sticking something in it will tell you nothing.

Change the plumbing, no big deal, probably gonna have to do something with the mounts anyhow.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;