CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Ironhead oil pressure light

I'm getting closer to having my 77 ironhead up and running again and I was wondering how i wire up my oil light. Is it just running a wire from the sensor on the pump to a light and then to a positive lead and a ground? And when the light comes on, what specifically does that mean in terms of pressure? i know that these bikes run at relatively low pressure but when the light is on, what psi reading am i under?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

The pressure switch closes the circuit by going to ground ... That occurs at around 6 PSI.

At idle you may see the oil light being on... Don't worry about seeing it ... But if you see it staying on above 1,500 rpm"s time to look into the oiling system...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 11-13-2016 at 7:31 PM.

on my shovel i like to run both a lite in the eye brow and a gauge on the rocker box. may seem redundant but in this era of cheap shit,hopefully both wont shit the bed at the same time.

also make sure you have the correct oil pressure sensor. different ones work at different presures

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner1965 View Post
    on my shovel i like to run both a lite in the eye brow and a gauge on the rocker box. may seem redundant but in this era of cheap shit,hopefully both wont shit the bed at the same time.

also make sure you have the correct oil pressure sensor. different ones work at different presures
    What psi do you read at the rocker box. I have one on my 73 Ironhead and I am just wondering what it should read?
    Thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

i found switched 12v for one lead then ran the ground to the nub on the pump. when the diaphram is closed it completes the loop and light is on. when the pump is working it opens and breaks the loop and light comes off.

I have a 77 sporty too. My oil pressure light comes on and stays on after while. I have replaced the oil pressure switch/sensor, and took off the oil lid and oil is returning at a good rate. The mechanic said not to worry about it. When an oil pressure light is on and not coming off, I worry.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'd go for a gauge.

well im reading about 50lbs on start up and 20 to 25 lbs when hot. but my shovel is fresh rebuilt with a new oil pump. well fresh a couple years ago anyway.

ive never had a iron head so dont know what they should run. to me my pressure seems really high for a bike of this era.

most older harleys were more about volume than pressure. can you look in your oil tank and see a good volume of oil from the return line?

from what i gather, if you have good volume of oil returning, your fine as long as it doesnt trip your oil light on. i think most oil lights come on below 6psi?

even 7 0r 8 psi with plenty of volume should be fine.

if you have a good parts guy he should be able to tell at what pressure the switch he sold yu turns the light on. i think im running one off a ford 8n tractor that turns the light on at less than 6 psi.

in this day and age everything is junk, so having a gauge and a lite is really the way to go..

Share This