CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Dyna belt to chain conversion questions?

Who has done it? What gearing did you use? I have had a hard time finding consistent answers for what I thought is a relatively common conversion.
    Trying to find the correct offset tranny sprocket for an '04 Dyna, all stock driveline except the rear wheel is from a '99 Dyna so it has a different size bearing boss.

Get Adobe Flash player

One company makes it super easy. Zipper performance. It's a little pricier but way easier than screwing it up and buying the wrong sprockets

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah I haven't called them yet. I though for sure PBI would help me out with the exact specs I need but the guy I talked to didn't or wouldn't disclose exactly what opffsets I need
    I thought that being a stock drivetrain they would help me out. Ill have to post up what I find.

Get Adobe Flash player

did a conversion on my 07 Dyna
    I used these guys
    http://www.3guyz.com/vtwin-motorcycles-topmenu

+1 for Zippers. I know of four different guys with those kits on their bikes (2 Dynas, one with a 120R in it, the other with a hopped up 110, and two hot rodded Sportsters) and they are great. Easy to put on from what they all told me.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Stix View Post
    did a conversion on my 07 Dyna
    I used these guys
    http://www.3guyz.com/vtwin-motorcycles-topmenu
    They don't offer what I need. They only have kits for 6 speed tranny.
    I have a 5 speed and a '99 rear wheel. I need to find out what offset sprockets I need. I have all the support,I era but can't seem to find specs on what offsets I will need.
    Also looking for first hand experience with what ratios work best?

Get Adobe Flash player

24-51 should be as close to stock as possible. Look into "softail wide tire chain conversion kit" on eBay etc...

Get Adobe Flash player

Got this all sorted out for my TC ('99-'05) Dyna project. Once again I have the stock transmission, stock swing arm, 150 width rear tire on a '99 rim. The '99 and earlier rims have a different bearing boss size(smaller) than the 2000 to 2005. Here is what you will need to convert a '99-'05 stock Dyna to chain drive

PBI .500" offset front sprocket. Drag specialties part 1212-0137 (23T) other tooth counts are available.

Flat (zero offset) rear sprocket. Drag specialties number for PBI brand DS-325149 (51T). This part number allows you to flip the sprocket to fit either size bearing boss! I went with a Sprocket Specialsts aluminum rear 51T, part number 906-51. They can make most any size you want for this in 530 chain size.

106 link chain pick your own flavor here. I used drag part 1222-0258. This is 110 links and I cut it down to 106.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	73036

In the process of figuring this out I originally bought a PBI dished rear sprocket drag part DS-325144. This provided me with too much offset in the rear. However if I had a .750 offset trans sprocket this would have worked and allowed me to run a wider tire. So you would need front sprocket number PBI-281-23 and the previously mentioned rear sprocket for the '99 and earlier wheel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Share This