Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 400t
    • Sep 2011

Clutch plate for open primary

I have a 75 shovel head, it has a open primary. I bought bike this way. When I pull the clutch in it will make a squell grind sound but goes away when I let clutch out. I read some where that I need clutch plates for a open primary. The clutch I have has the three springs.i tried the search button but Any suggestions are great also
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by 400t
    I read some where that I need clutch plates for a open primary.
    Where did you read that??????? Dry clutches is what you need....... Are you sure that's not what you have?????

Springs have nothing to do with it....... Can you post a pic of what you have????????

Comment

• 400t
      • Sep 2011

Thanks for fast response, this is the first bike I had with a open primary. I wasn't sure if the number of sprigs would matter when buying clutch plates. I wasn't sure if the clutch plates are from when it was a closed primary or if the guy I bought it from changed them out. I'm gonna try and post pic from my phone

Comment

• 400t
        • Sep 2011

Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20161024_123225.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	1293028

Comment

• 400t
          • Sep 2011

Name:	P_20161024_123435.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	1293029 this is the bike

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Nice bike............Yep that's the clutch set up I thought you had.......... Take the clutches out like the manual says....clean the metal discs with fine sand paper or glass bead them if you have a way to do it????? Rub the clutches both sides on a flat concrete block...... Not a lot just enough to rough them up a little...... Then put it back together like the manual says to do........ Where are the three springs???

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

I'm a fan of the Pro Clutch made by Rivera/Primo
              They work really well in a dry operation ....

The stock clutch could use a bit of help with a few after/market add-ons that makes it work well....
              Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• 400t
                • Sep 2011

Thanks for the responses, I'll do that with the clutch plates. I'm not sure what you mean where are the springs . So is this is the original clutch for this bike, just so I know. Thanks for all the help

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

I'm not sure what you mean where are the springs .
                  In your first post you said it has 3 springs......... I asked where are the 3 springs???????

It is a 3 finger clutch hub not 3 springs...... A lot of it is stock not all.......... When you get it apart take more pics..........

Comment

• 400t
                    • Sep 2011

Name:	P_20161029_202649.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	1293041 also when I spin the clutch fingers I think there called it moves the clutch basket out and when I spin other direction it goes back in. Is this to LINE up the belt? Sorry for stupid question just trying to learn my bike

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

Sounds like the belt tracking is off ....

That is fairly common with a tranny that don't use track lugs ....
                      In shorter words the tranny is crocked in the frame....

You see when you do away with the alum. primary case there goes the alignment between the motor and trans....
                      Now you will need to find that sweet spot....

This plate makes that easy to do.....

VT No: 17-7660
                      Adjustable transmission mounting plate with a chrome finish. Features built in adjuster screws for positive and even adjustment.
                      The built in dual adjusters operate from the end of the 1/2" thick steel plate by counter bored socket head screws. They permit accurate alignment of the mainshaft and are ideal for open belt drive models. The three holes at the front fit various frames. Fits 4-speed Big Twin transmissions from 1979-1986 with flat bottom cases and 1936-early 1978 cases if the sliders are milled off the bottom of the cases
                      Last edited by Dragstews; 10-29-2016, 7:11 PM.

Comment

• 400t
                        • Sep 2011

ok thanks.is there a way to know when I find the sweet spot.What will happen if it's off

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

Fire up the motor and see which way the belt is tracking...
                          It will go to the inside or the outside of the teeth on the clutch drum...
                          You want it to track in the middle....

Before you do that test, a few questions I need to ask you...
                          If you take a hold of the clutch drum at the 3 o-clock and 9 o-clock positions and try to shake it back and fourth, do you see much shake ..???

Next question ...
                          Bike running in neural, pull in the clutch, do you see very much walk of the drum to the left (Outside) ..???
                          Last edited by Dragstews; 10-29-2016, 7:40 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72698[/ATTACH] also when I spin the clutch fingers I think there called it moves the clutch basket out and when I spin other direction it goes back in. Is this to LINE up the belt? Sorry for stupid question just trying to learn my bike
                            Yep the clutches are glazing........ Do like I said and it should mite fix your problem......

I'll bet if you take your belt off the basket it will do the same thing walk in one way out the other....... Try it and get back with us...... If so it's not the belt running side ways... I bet it will.............. We shall see........
                            Last edited by Tattooo; 10-29-2016, 8:24 PM.

Comment

• klondikekid64
                              • Nov 2013

ok thanks.is there a way to know when I find the sweet spot.What will happen if it's off

Name:	BeltAlignment.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1293042 I found this when I was doing mine.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;