CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default The Dragon's Tail ...

Man records farewell video moments after deadly motorcycle crash..

Kevin Diepenbrock recorded farewell videos of himself after a motorcycle crash send him and his friend tumbling down a ravine.

He laid at the bottom of a 100 foot embankment for nearly 30 hours, hoping for a miracle.

On October 15th, he had been on a scenic motorcycle ride with his friend, Phillip Polito, through the Great Smoky Mountains. They were cruising on a part of U.S. Highway 129 near the North Carolina-Tennessee border called The Dragon, known for its sharp curves, when Polito suddenly hit his brakes.

The resulting collision sent both men tumbling down a steep hillside. Polito died in the crash.

Diepenbrock, thinking he also might not make it, pulled out his phone and started recording. “Just wanted to say I love you guys. Sorry I was being stupid, but you know that’s what I do.”

In the footage, a gravely injured Diepenbrock lists his possible broken bones and tells his mom, dad, and wife he loves them. He asks them to take care of his dogs, and apologizes profusely. Still, he thought someone would come by soon.

He tried calling out, but no one could hear or see him from the road above. Phone calls and text messages wouldn’t go through, and his Facebook statuses failed to post.

“I figured it was just a matter of time before someone came by and saw us,” Diepenbrock told CBS News. “As the day passed hundreds of cars passed us, and nobody ever stopped. I became more concerned and less hopeful that I would get out.”

About 27 hours after the accident, Diepenbrock says a woman and her date riding a motorcycle happened to pull over on the road above him. The woman heard him calling out, but couldn’t see him. They went to the nearest establishment, a photo shop, to find help, and returned with a man named Josh Johnson.

Johnson, a fellow motorcycle rider familiar with the area, managed to get close enough to the edge to see Diepenbrock and slide down the edge of the embankment to help.

“It was amazing. It was so much relief that someone was actually there,” Diepenbrock said. “He said ‘You’re going to be ok, I’m here, we’re going to get you out.’ It was that moment where I thought ‘Holy cow, I’m actually getting saved here.’”

Diepenbrock was eventually airlifted to University of Tennessee Medical Center, where he was treated for two punctured lungs, 12 ribs that were broken in 17 spots, two breaks in his spine, and a lot of road rash. Johnson visited him in the hospital, and the two have kept in touch through text messages and Facebook.

After about two weeks, Diepenbrock was released from UT Medical Center to return to his home in Pennsylvania with his wife, Courtney. He will start physical therapy next week, and is expected to make a full recovery.

The Boys are helping daddy heal the best way they know how.....good snuggles!

Get Adobe Flash player

That stupid meme road again. Racers should spend their fucking money on track days. Non-performance riders with non-sporting machines should leave it alone because it's full of idiots. If you follow someone close enough to have their braking take you out, YOU fucked up.

You don't have time for the scenery and it has no runoff room. Hurr, durr, I rode the Dragon. Big fucking deal. Do track days on a serious motorcycle. Bubbas and squids crash on the reg because they don't fucking know how to ride and/or push it too far. The Dragon and most roads in the area suck. Mountain roads suck. Mountains are pretty to camp in, that is all.

I rode it in the '80s when traffic was less and am not impressed. Touring bikes and riders should stay well away because pigfat non-maneuverable bikes don't belong there. Perfect place for a supermoto though, but even then you get to dodge morons.

Get Adobe Flash player

You are a hell of a grouchy old fucker.

Get Adobe Flash player

Why Is Riding the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap So Dangerous ???

If you’re convinced the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap in North Carolina is “too dangerous” or “ too challenging” a motorcycle ride, you’ve been deluded. If you can negotiate a crowded parking lot without panic, navigate city traffic, or confidently explore unknown back roads, you can ride the “infamous” stretch of US 129 known as “The Tail of the Dragon”.

While riders are killed on the Dragons Tail almost every year (once you visit you’ll know why) it’s not the road that does them in. It’s a great motorcycle road with more than 300 curves in 11 miles. The pavement is nice, the road is well engineered, and it sees little commercial traffic. Still the motorcycle accidents at Deals Gap keep piling up.

Truth is, motorcycle riders crash here due to their own expectations. The Tail of the Dragon near Deals Gap is so hyped as a challenging and dangerous motorcycle ride people believe they have to make it one. Too many bikers push their limits on this great ride to fulfill the myth and prove something to themselves. Those limits of skill and reason are exceeded far too often resulting in motorcycle wrecks that would not have otherwise occurred had the rider not been so persuaded this was the ideal place to test his mettle. Truth is, I can direct you to roads far more dangerous, all of which make for good motorcycle rides you will enjoy and savor if you don’t consciously try to kill yourself.

That said, the Tail of the Dragon may not be for everyone. If your bike was on the showroom floor last week, and your warm license stills smells like fresh plastic, think twice, break in the tires and get a few miles beneath them. The Blue Ridge Parkway will give you all you need, and I’ve mapped hundreds of miles of other great motorcycle roads in the area.

There are certainly TIMES to avoid the Tail of the Dragon. A rally can turn it into a suicidal circus. Weekends bring out the squids and posers. Safest bet is to go mid week, early in the day. Be warned, it’s heavily patrolled by overworked troopers who have absolutely no sense of humor left.

With hundreds of posted videos to choose from, you can be sure I’ll be posting more. Here’s one of the longer ones that not only shows the entire ride, but demonstrates why this good motorcycle ride has earned such a bad reputation. Is it the really roads fault?

For lots more info about the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap visit .../// http://tailofthedragon.com \\\...

Get Adobe Flash player

I rode route 421 south out of Richmond VA down into TN-70, that route was far more challenging in spots--ascending total switchbacks where I actually fucked up and crossed the road--the road looked like it forked instead of continuing up the mountain so no harm done--no traffic thank god. After that the dragon was a breeze, like "that's it?" Especially after riding on damp roads the whole day prior. I felt like I wasn't riding at that fast of a clip and had to stop 4 or 5 times just to let slower traffic move ahead, even in fall it was a little crowded.

Get Adobe Flash player

I rode the Dragon for the first time a couple weeks ago, mid week....I just did it to say I did. It was fun but not my style. Didn't buy the tshirt because it feels silly since I can get there by lunch - if I lived elsewhere it'd be a different story, I'm sure. So many phenomenal roads around the NC/TN area at least. Rode a road called the Rattler in NC in the spring that I like a lot more with hairpins, sweepers and fast straightaways through farmland valleys with mountains all around

Now the guy from Louisiana riding it 2-up with his wife on a Vespa was neato though

Get Adobe Flash player

That road is an hour from me, I've rode it thousands of times. Used to be one of the "locals" in the sportbike scene. It's a public road and people forget that for some reason. Yeah in the mornings we'd run it fast, but also were smart about it by staying in your damn lane. On my chops I stay in one gear, never hit the brakes, and never cross the line. It's way too hyped up, and not nearly as nice as the other roads nearby. The Cherohola Skyway is the best road around by far.

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

If you keep mentioning the good roads they might start filling up too. The Dragon used to be thinly traveled.

Send the squids to da Dragon, never publish good ride locations, and you'll still have those roads in the future.

QuadCamBastards

"Meme Road". Excellent descriptor!

Get Adobe Flash player

I agree with everyone. SEVERAL roads in that area that put The Dragon to shame.

Get Adobe Flash player

The Dragon is too trendy for me. Plenty of better places to go.

Get Adobe Flash player

Rode around in the himalayan foothills for a few weeks, i can tell you i would not want to try the high mountain passes.. dont care what bike im on, no way. And i love maountains. Asian drivers not so much.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've put quite a few laps on the Dragon, and around that area. On several different bikes. Went to a Buell rally there and had a friend take a helicopter ride off the mountain with serious back injuries.
    A couple years ago we lost a rider in our group and went back to find him crawling out of a ravine unhurt, but gettting his Busa up 150 feet back to the road wasn't easy or cheap.
    On my bagged or other slow junkers, I stay out of the fast guy's (and amateurs)way and enjoy other roads.
    Of course, if there's someone new with you, they always want to "slay" the Dragon.

Share This