Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smallz95
    • May 2014

home made wiring harness??

not exactly an electrical whizz, but could someone give me some ideas on how to make a wiring harness? nothing special just enough to run the essentials, you see i misplaced one and can not find one anywhere for the life of me so i figured id try my hand at making one.
    thanks fellas
  • CarloFreeze
    • Jun 2013

What are you wiring?

Comment

• rocksmearer
      • Apr 2024

holy fuck.... gonna be a long winter

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Smallz95
        you see i misplaced one and can not find one anywhere for the life of me

You misplaced one what?????????? A wire or a complete harness?????????

Comment

• heyyodho
          • May 2014

Google and Youtube will be super helpful.

1. Educate yourself on how to read electrical diagrams.
          2. Learn how to solder.
          3. Find a wiring diagram for your bike and cross out the stuff you don't need or highlight the parts that you want to keep. Sometimes you'll be able to find one that only has the bare essentials already.

Comment

• Smallz95
            • May 2014

Missplaced the whole harness, and if I can find a similar harness say off another xs there should be no reason why I couldn't make it work right? I was just having a hard time finding the 850 harness that's why I was wondering if I could just make one

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Smallz95
              Missplaced the whole harness,
              Damn it........... How did you do that???????? To answer your question. Yes you can make a harness but I would try and find one if I were you...... To make one you will need a manual............

Comment

• gusval
                • Oct 2013

you want to make a harness just like the original or custom?
                for a custom is easy after you study and compare a few setups
                or buy the original on ebay

Comment

• Dinnertimedave
                  • Aug 2012

Google 'xs850 wiring diagram' There's plenty to choose from.........

Comment

• ridgerunner1965
                    • Mar 2015

ive mostly wired choppers and there really is not a lot to it. the way i do it is take it one function at a time.

for instance wire the headlite,then the tail lite.then move on to the next function.if your running turn sigs and all kinds of dash idiot lights etc it can take awhile. i usually shave all that shit off on my bikes.

my shovel has headlite,tail lite,nuetrel lite,oil lite,lever solenoid for starting and a key switch.so its pretty simple.i have no wiring on my bars at all.

one piece of advice i can offer is get quality tools,quality wire,quality shrink tubing and good quality terminals and stuff.

when it comes to soldering a lot of guys say you need to solder every connection and some guys say soldering work hardens the wire and vibration can make it break.ive seen that happen a few times.

a good quality crimp connector covered in 1 to 2 layers of heat shrink tubing is what i do a lot.just make sure you have a good crimping pliers of the correct size.

klien makes good wiring tools and thats what i use.

good coverings for your harness are hard to find. i use a aircraft type spiral wrap for mine.its a pain and difficult to put on but is very tough.

my son was showing me some wire covering he got off ebay the other day.he was building a computer from scratch and was using some very nice braided coverings he got off ebay.many diff colors and looked very durable.

just as a heads up my ace hardware store seems to have the best quality terminals and wire and stuff.

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

Hey I want to get rid of my controls on my 98 xl1200 but it seems the bike won't even turn on without the left and right control wires plugged into their plugs from the wiring harness. How do I change this? Thanks

Get naked terminals and heat shrink via Ebay. I only solder connections which demand it, like some switches. Crimped connections are good enough for modern combat aircraft and replaced soldered connector plugs on "less modern" combat aircraft.

I use twenty dollar Drag Specialties ignition switches and get ten years or so out of them.

Comment

• klondikekid64
                        • Nov 2013

Or just pull out you wad and scoop up this bag of snakes, problem $olved. http://www.nashmotorcycle.com/collec...-the-juice-bag

Comment

• klondikekid64
                          • Nov 2013

Came across this easy to follow generic wiring diagram, for thoses electrically challenged. Click image for larger version

Name:	wirepan.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1293262Click image for larger version

Name:	panwire.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1293263Click image for larger version

Name:	wirepan.jpg
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1293262

Comment

• BrokenSprocketGarage
                            • Dec 2012

I make custom wire harnesses.

Comment

• farmall
                              • Apr 2013

BrokenSprocketGarage uses good stuff. I bought a kit a while back to evaluate.

I ended up using the parts on multiple bikes and a harness of those components would work fine.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;