Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Northup87
    Nice looking delivery! Looks like you went from the bottom up on the 427, did you use flat tappet or roller cam? I bet she grunts real nice! Did you tube the frame or add cross bracing?

A.J.
    Flat tappet.......... I'm old school.......... Damn I hate that term......... Stock frame...... Tube A frames with coil overs........ Stock rear with 373 PT and a 700R4 with the lock up taken out.......... It will get it..... Yes I built the 427 from parts I had lying around........

Comment

• beat
      • Apr 2016

back to what farmall said about the recession.
      back in 08 or 09 when the shit really hit the fan and home values and worker wages went down the tubes we were all screwed.
      i aint rich and i aint struggling. but i thought i could snatch up some good stuff on the cheap...no dice.
      pans and gen shoves were still going at usual prices if not more while knucks still go thru the roof.
      i understand and i'm like those guys. i wont give stuff away.
      i guess its smart to hold yer part until the right buyer/sucker comes along if ya got the room to keep it.

i cant remember who told me, but it's not like a horse ya wanna sell. you have to feed it and walk it daily. that's time and money.
      a car frame/motor or motorcycle frame/motor can sit and wait until someone meets your price and doesnt cost anything just setting in the garage.
      i know many guys like this.

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by beat
        i know many guys like this.

I'm like that............. It doesn't cost me a dime to collect dust..........

Comment

• nuklhd
          • Sep 2013

A.J. tattoo, sure do like 55's.
          A.J. you going to box the frame you found? please don't go with a 350/350 combo on the roadster. nice dependable motor blah blah blah. I don't know why it bothers me so much seeing them in 80% of builds. but I know you got something better planned.......you do don't you.

Comment

• Northup87
            • Oct 2014

Knuck, I am building the engine below for the 55 right now. This will sit in front of the Muncie M22 Rock Crusher 4 speed.

Started with an early 4 bolt main GM crate engine a buddy had.

Took it down to the base block, Mag particle checked it to ensure it was viable, and installed the following:

Balanced 383 Stroker crank and connecting rods. (Had to clearance block for connecting rods)
            Forged Domed .125 Pistons (Had to cheat as my deck clearance was higher than I wanted)
            64 cc Flowtek Aluminum Heads 2.02 Intake, 1.60 Ex
            Fel Pro .015 head gaskets.
            Howards SBC Retro Roller cam kit. 505/515
            Roller Rockers
            Roller lifters
            Edelbrock Performer Air Gap
            Holley Street Avenger 650
            Edelbrock Shorty headers.

I have other plans for the Roadster.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

^^^^^^^^ Nice looking parts...^^^^^^^^ I hope your going to change the front end?????????? If not those exhaust will never work.........

I see your going to run shorty headers......... I hate shorty headers...... LOL

Comment

• Northup87
                • Oct 2014

Yeah the exhaust was off a lifted El Camino, Im not a fan of shortys either, but I need them on to test the motor out in the FJ40 first. That will allow me an easy transition into the 55. Also just wanna see what she can do in the mud with 400 horse.

Comment

• Northup87
                  • Oct 2014

This old Junkyard is located over in Wetmore Mi, and isn't in business anymore. Its about an hour drive, but the owner is an old family friend and allows me the opportunity to climb around his junk piles! Could spend days and days in this place just letting my brain run wild! It went out sometime in the 80's but had been a collecting yard since the 30's. Its so old he still has early school buses full of old wooden wheel tires! Here are a couple of the roadster possibles. (Note the double transmission on the first car. I envision this one to be an early salt flat racer. Not really most likely some old doodlebug contraption)

These are Chevys of the 26-31 era. Also some other possibles projects.

Comment

• triumphbruce
                    • Jun 2014

must be because shovels are rare
                    at least at the Birch Run swap meet Sunday 10-16
                    very few shovel parts some iron head and triumph stuff
                    everything else was twinks and blockheads

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by triumphbruce
                      must be because shovels are rare
                      at least at the Birch Run swap meet Sunday 10-16
                      Just give it a few years...... People will be bitching about Shovel prices................... You people better buy them now while they are still cheap.............

Comment

• triumphbruce
                        • Jun 2014

yep I just picked up a stock set of cylinders for my 80"and the 74
                        when I find a set of heads and various parts at a decent price
                        I will be stocking up retirement in 3-5 years and want to have
                        what I may need on hand
                        am starting to go through all my stuff and trying to decide
                        what I need and what to let go
                        amazing how I think now compared to 20-30 years ago
                        ya its my birthday today 59 years young and plotting the course
                        for the next 20

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

ya its my birthday today 59 years young and plotting the course
                          for the next 20
                          Well Happy birthday........ Mine was last friday......... I was 60......... I'm doing the same thing with my parts.........

Comment

• triumphbruce
                            • Jun 2014

ya I have collected too many projects and will never finish all
                            so I an whittling it down to what I can do and afford
                            and hoping what I get rid of someone can use

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

ya I have collected too many projects and will never finish all
                              so I an whittling it down to what I can do and afford
                              and hoping what I get rid of someone can use
                              That's what I have been doing for several years........... I had three 45 projects and way to many extra parts........... I sold it all as I figured out I'm to big to ride a 45, So why build something I would never ride......... I feel much better with more room to walk.......... LOL

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;