CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 10 of 16 First ... 89101112 ... Last

Thread: 1940 SS Knuckle

Quote Originally Posted by xnewmanx View Post
    Potentially could be welded, just that the wall thickness is VERY low. I'm actually more concerned about the tube failing at the joint where there is a stress riser, than I am about the silver solder failing. I think the ultimate tensile of the silver solder is over 40ksi.
    Understood. Thanks for the explanation!

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Check Nicke Svennson's IG, it looks like he made and welded a banjo directly to the line, then flared for a petcock and welded the branch fitting.

There are a lot of online auto/custom/hot rod suppliers that supply tube benders and flaring tools for lines. Vibration might be a huge problem with fatigue around welds, it's best to get a loop in for vibration absorption. SS would be best here, I haven't made any but from my understanding it's not a big deal to do SS, my buddy is Corvette Central's personal mechanic and he flares and bends his own wrapping them around spray cans, he fills them with sand.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by seaking View Post
    Check Nicke Svennson's IG, it looks like he made and welded a banjo directly to the line, then flared for a petcock and welded the branch fitting.

There are a lot of online auto/custom/hot rod suppliers that supply tube benders and flaring tools for lines. Vibration might be a huge problem with fatigue around welds, it's best to get a loop in for vibration absorption. SS would be best here, I haven't made any but from my understanding it's not a big deal to do SS, my buddy is Corvette Central's personal mechanic and he flares and bends his own wrapping them around spray cans, he fills them with sand.
    Stainless steel work hardens. Mild steel i think is more ductile and less prone to cracking.

Ideally I want a line like this but with just two banjo ends. I would prefer to avoid having to have a banjo with a threaded fitting that accepts another connector.
    \

Get Adobe Flash player

Stainless steel work hardens.

So what? It's a show bike.

Get Adobe Flash player

That may not be your cup of tra, but stainless braided oil lines on polished fittings would look mean on there.

If not, you could get some of these fittings we use on plumbing pipes (dunno english term and I'm an italian plumber who sucks at explaining so here's a pic)

They compress the pipe just the amount that keeps it from ever moving if you don't undo the nut, and don't suffer vibrations so shouldn't crack the pipe...you may have to re-tighten them now and then as the oring compresses and settles

May be a stupid idea but who knows

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Fruttolo View Post
    That may not be your cup of tra, but stainless braided oil lines on polished fittings would look mean on there.

If not, you could get some of these fittings we use on plumbing pipes (dunno english term and I'm an italian plumber who sucks at explaining so here's a pic)

They compress the pipe just the amount that keeps it from ever moving if you don't undo the nut, and don't suffer vibrations so shouldn't crack the pipe...you may have to re-tighten them now and then as the oring compresses and settles

May be a stupid idea but who knows
    I think I am going to have to use those for the motor to frame, because I don't think I can use banjo bolts on the oil pump cover without serious mods. Swagelock makes some nice ones that I will probably use. I really just want the banjo fittings for the look. It isn't really about the function.

Quote Originally Posted by seaking View Post
    So what? It's a show bike.
    Unfortunately, I can't find sweat on banjo fittings in SS ANYWHERE. I looked. Nothing. All I can find is flare fittings, which are OK, but not what I'm after. I actually found some cool stainless flex sections, unfortunately, can't get them in metric, and I can't find any sweat on banjo fittings in non-metric sizes.

Also, I am not posting these things to complain, and I am taking into account everything everyone says. Just don't want you guys to think I don't care.

Get Adobe Flash player

You already made utterly complex rounded parts for this bike, guess you can turn yourself some 60-hours-time-consuming polished stainless braze-on custom banjo fittings :'D

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Fruttolo View Post
    dunno english term and I'm an italian plumber who sucks at explaining so here's a pic
    Are you Mario, or Luigi?

What crazy oil tank are you going to go with? Super skinny horseshoe? I have to make my own oil tank for my bike so I'm looking forward to that post.

Get Adobe Flash player

X, didn't 36-41 knuckleheads have the banjo fittings?(at the tank and heads) maybe modify aftermarket lines?
    Last edited by nuklhd; 01-26-2017 at 12:34 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I posted it in another thread, but these are all the guys in People's Champ. You should follow all these guys:

Ben Stanley
    Brandon Wurtz @rawhidecycles
    Brent Maggard @curtismaggardbrent
    Brian Stanley @the_bone_orchard
    Bryan Triglia @grade8cycleandspeed
    Chris Lewis @im_lackluster
    Christian Newman @ctnewman
    Cody Kemmet @smalldickpoppa
    Conrad Mizzel @radscustoms
    Curt Bennet @4th_floor_choppers
    Devon Nalder @devonnalder
    Eddie Catlin @oldsoulmotoco_vdc
    Eric Harris @thefunstopshere
    Eric Marshall @ericmmarshall
    Eric Thompson @ethomoto
    George Counes @spartan.george
    Hawke Lawshe @vintagetechnologies
    Jake Silver @jakerevlis
    James Bloomfield @motoartcustoms
    Jake Kerevan @snakepeezay
    Jordan Heathcock @slop_shop
    Michael Alton @madtatts_brasstacks
    Mike Rabideau @majikmikesdesigns
    Scotty Dettwiler @_scottyd
    Shawn Phelps @shawnmichaelphelps

Hope you enjoyed the trip! One thing to note is that every bird deflector I have ever seen mounts with bolts through the front, but I'm trying to avoid that and am devising a way to mount it with no visible bolts. It will be mounted with the point facing the rear of the motorcycle.
    Way cool, nice work. Seeing it documented from raw steel is inspiring

Maybe I wasn't paying proper attention, but I didn't realize until I saw your most recent Instagram post that the frame tubing serves double duty as an oil conduit.

That just pushed me over from a proud uncle to a slack-jawed, fawning idiot. Yeah, thanks for that.

Now that I've had a moment to process the whole frame-as-conduit thing, I'm trying to work out the details. Did you insert walls inside the tubing downstream/outside each inlet/outlet to block the oil from going any farther inside the tubing?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by EJensen View Post
    Now that I've had a moment to process the whole frame-as-conduit thing, I'm trying to work out the details. Did you insert walls inside the tubing downstream/outside each inlet/outlet to block the oil from going any farther inside the tubing?
    There is only one obstruction in the tube, under the motor between the two bungs, the oil flow path is:

Feed: Oil tank > connecting line > right chainstay > right frame bottom tube > oil pump
    Return: Oil Pump > right frame bottom tube (in front of blockage) > right downtube > neck gusset tube front crossover > left downtube > left bottom tube > left chainstay > connector tube > oil tank
    Vent line: Engine > seat tube > oil tank

If I ever do this again, I think I would make the chainstay join to the seatstay through the axle plate so I could have the connector lines between the oil tank and the frame hidden under the seat.

This is the part of the frame underneath the engine:

Wow, ya got alot more unfo on the 316EL on this site huh!? Killer stuff Christian. I just started on here ao gotta learn it up

Get Adobe Flash player

Unfortunately, I can't find sweat on banjo fittings in SS ANYWHERE. I looked. Nothing. All I can find is flare fittings, which are OK, but not what I'm after. I actually found some cool stainless flex sections, unfortunately, can't get them in metric, and I can't find any sweat on banjo fittings in non-metric sizes.
    I'm clueless on how that type of banjo fitting is held tight, do they sit inside an o-ring or a crush gasket? I still think you could make them without too much trouble.

Since it's not high pressure would crush gaskets work like in this case?

Lane automotive always has oddball fittings without jacking up the price too much.....they had banjo fittings with a metric AN end if you wanted to go that route.

Get Adobe Flash player

More videos, sorry.

I made a banjo bolt with an extra mount on top to mount my lower fender brace to.

Oil path is: Feed: Oil tank > connecting line > right chainstay > right frame bottom tube > oil pump
    Return: Oil Pump > right frame bottom tube (in front of blockage) > right downtube > neck gusset tube front crossover > left downtube > left bottom tube > left chainstay > connector tube > oil tank
    Vent line: Engine > seat tube > oil tank

Here's a video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPvz8djl...en-by=ctnewman

The I made the mount itself. Here's another video with some humor added in: https://www.instagram.com/p/BP1KoY6l...en-by=ctnewman

Here are some crappy pictures of the mount:

Here is how I temporarily(?) solved my mismatched drive cogs. Turned down a pulley and mixed it with an off the shelf industrial drive cog and taper lock bushing, then added a 30mm (~1 3/16) drive belt (rated for 75 HP at SF2.) I'll try and get something better later on, but this allowed me to set the rear wheel where I needed it so I could continue working.

Nothing is really lined up in this picture.

Since the rear wheel was now located I was able to weld on the two fender mounts:

And that allowed me to roll my bike around the shop while sitting on it and making chopper sounds.

Next up I am starting to build an oil tank. I needed to make a die to roll some 1" SCH10 pipe to 7.6" CLR. I tried making one yesterday that didn't have a steel backing plate... well, that failed terribly. Try again tonight. Never built an oil tank, so this will be a fun new challenge. I probably won't post pics until it is done, it'll probably take me all week. Or longer.

Get Adobe Flash player

How is it that a man like you can have me drooling like this every time I see an update?

Get Adobe Flash player

This is truly an amazing thread, and as earlier stated "we are watching a new level being set ". I tell myself that I could get more done without the wife and kids, but it still would never be as much as you do. fuckin amazing machine work !!!!!

Meh.....

OK, now that I've described my project let's get on to this amazing, dare I say 'sublime' effort.

The time and dedication involved in just the build alone, let alone the added time in photographing and documenting the whole process is phenomenal to say the least.

My question is: When do you sleep???

Share This