• Show
Clear All
  • sdsbassist
    • Jun 2014

It'll get "looks"

Comment

• Wood
      • Aug 2012

Thread should have been titled "how to turn a $3500.00 bike into a $350.00 bike" Sweet Jesus

Comment

• Blackbetty
        • Apr 2011

Yea man that poor sporty....

Sorry. I got nothing positive to say and it's like I'm watching was what once a respectable motorcycle slip into the abyss

Comment

• seaking
          • Jul 2013

Get back in yer cage.....

Don't make me get the hose!

Comment

• AlbertaFarmer
            • Sep 2013

I think it's cool your doing something different. One you get into a thing like this, the opinions of others don't hold much weight.

Comment

• Dane
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Wood
              Thread should have been titled "how to turn a $3500.00 bike into a $350.00 bike" Sweet Jesus
              $3300 actually, got a pretty good deal.

only 8k miles. Not a scratch on it. Like new.

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer
              I think it's cool your doing something different. One you get into a thing like this, the opinions of others don't hold much weight.
              Yeah they don't haha. I already have a sporty that's my daily rider. This is my fun project bike I get to do whatever I want to. Havin a blast.

Comment

• Dane
                • Aug 2015

Pulled out the turn signal module, freed up some space. Still have all the turn signal wiring up the backbone though. I'll probably wait to remove that until I'm thinning out the rest.

Turn signal module? Naaaaaa. See yah!

A photo posted by Dane "Milky" Mehl (@danemehl) on

Then I installed a cheapo ching chong bing bong license plate bracket, temporary since I removed the rear fender. Just popped it into some split conduit and zipped it under the swingarm. Plan to eventually have it all mounted on the sissy bar. I don't like plates that stick out. Taillight was cheap, it's pretty funky, but not sure how I feel about it. Might look cool if I just rotated it and the plate 90 degrees counterclockwise. At least I can ride it at night again.

Fender should be here soon. Lookin forward to that. Should clean up the weird strut look of the rear end.
                Last edited by Dane; 10-01-2016, 12:08 AM.

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Distinctive footpegs could catch the eye in two ways. From a distance at a glance then up close with artistic detail.

BTW if you need some flat aluminum plate with cast fins, GM engine computers have nice cast bodies.

Comment

• Dane
                    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by farmall
                    Distinctive footpegs could catch the eye in two ways. From a distance at a glance then up close with artistic detail.

BTW if you need some flat aluminum plate with cast fins, GM engine computers have nice cast bodies.
                    Thanks for the tip!

I planned to change one of the pegs to a floorboard, made from whatever catches my eye. The other a footpeg, made from some old tool or something, maybe a railway spike. I'd love to find a good place locally to browse scrap. But haven't found one yet.

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

Just saying .......

Ya got a way to go to catch up to this Ol Boy....

................................. King Rat..............................
                      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Dane
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Dragstews
                        Just saying .......

Ya got a way to go to catch up to this Ol Boy....

................................. King Rat..............................
                        Yeah.... I've never liked that kind of rat bike. Gluing random stuff to your bike makes no sense to me. If it doesn't have function it shouldn't be on the bike.

These are more my style:

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

I hear ya.....

The Road-Kill is a bit too much....
                          Can smell him coming two miles before he shows up ......

(I know this cat, He's a Kentucky Boy, what can ya say..??) ..
                          Last edited by Dragstews; 10-01-2016, 10:37 AM.
                          Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Dane
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Dragstews
                            I hear ya.....

The Road-Kill is a bit too much....
                            Can smell him coming two miles before he shows up ......

(I know this cat, He's a Kentucky Boy, what can ya say..??) ..
                            Everyones got their own style. That bike's for him. Shiny bikes are for some people. This bikes for me. He's obviously put a lot of time into making that bike the way he wants it, and that's cool. If it's your bike, do whatever the fuck you want to it.

If I had the mechanical know-how and a good shop, I would have built a rat from the ground up, piece by piece, from random stuff I found at swap meets and the like. But I don't have those skills yet. So my idea with this bike was that I would find a nice working sporty, since I already know how to work on a sporty, and take it apart, sell all the nice stuff, and replace with parts with more ratty style that I can give character to. So it's not going to be a REAL rat bike, I wish, it's just going to be STYLED like a rat bike. And it will give me a chance to learn about new things.

But the idea of the rat bike remains. A bike that is easy to maintain, only useful parts and things attached to it. Because if the world ends and you're stuck in the wasteland, you want the thing to pump out as much mpg as possible and have a big gas tank or a few ways of holding fuel, since you don't know when you might be getting gas again. Of course I'm going to add a few things here and there for style flair, but they won't weigh much.

Comment

• Dane
                              • Aug 2015

Rode it some today. Fork oil level doesn't feel right. Seems really soft when I'm stopped and hold front brake and compress them. I never felt them bottom out though. Manual says 9oz wet, 10.2 oz dry. I had them all apart obviously, but they weren't completely dry. So I put 10oz in each. I'd like to do it off of oil level instead of ounces. But I can't seem to find any reliable information about level, and the manual only ever specifies ounces. I did find a thread here on CC that said somewhere between 4" and 5" from the top, compressed with springs out on stock forks. So I'd do 14"-15" but that seems like a REALLY wide gap.

I did 4 overs on my other sporty, and just put spec oil level back in, but the heavier type, and they felt great.

Comment

• farmall
                                • Apr 2013

Of course I'm going to add a few things here and there for style flair, but they won't weigh much.
                                Fucking stop that nonsense. It's all for style and ain't nothin' wrong with that. You are building folk art and it's at least as anti-functional as a longbike. Folk art is fine, but always speak truth about it.

If it were built for a real "apocalypse" it would be a dirtster style machine with a serious (non-rusting plastic) extended range tank, something iike Honda 600 forks, a luggage system and all the other gear serious ADV forum denizens built and use. It would be a war machine and as focused as any military vehicle. It would not be folk art.

These Zombie Jackoff bikes are what people into video games and movies fap to when they dream of a social order they don't function well in being destroyed so their neckbeard fantasy skills would magically get used (instead of them getting shot to pieces by the first real militia types they ran into). That's totally fine, but zombie rides are what they are and they aren't anything else.

Fantasy is a perfectly legit aspect of folk art!

If your fork feels too soft that may be due to the changed CG due to fork extension. Picture how your geometry changes with extended tubes. There should be more rear weight bias now.

I did 4 overs on my other sporty, and just put spec oil level back in, but the heavier type, and they felt great.
                                That's likely the way to go. Your damper rods will still be submerged by stock quantities of oil (measured volume is accurate) so more isn't likey to change anything, but heavier viscosity might.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;